Project Triton (Demo)

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
ensignmerlin
Terran Refinery Attendant

Project Triton (Demo)

Post by ensignmerlin »

As my entrance into the contest I'll bring in a campaign I've been doing concept stuff with for a while but haven't been motivated to get done.
So, I bring you the Project Triton Demo campaign. It will follow only 1 of the planned racial campaigns however and not necessarily in complete form.

Triton System: Stardate Unknown.

The Kazka Empire rules much of the known galaxy. They have extremely high tech equipment in addition to the finest military training available. To support their culture, they have spread from their home planet across dozens of others, enslaving the other humans that live there to further their resources. You are a recently captured slave brought before the Kazka to direct other slaves in the gathering of precious Sazite ore. During your first outing, however, a group of slaves revolt and start attacking the overseers. Your commanding officer tells you to shoot them down. The leader tells you to join him. What will you do?

Information:
-3 distinct races converted from scratch to fill combat roles in different ways than their original counterparts.
-New upgrading systems for each race.
-Extensive balance testing.
-An epic storyline to span multiple episodes.(After official release)

At present will only run on StarCraft Version 1.50 until the next Firegraft release.
Last edited by ensignmerlin on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Project Triton (Demo)

Post by Maglok »

Seems everyone is pulling out the plugs with more then just staredit. Good luck to ya.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
ensignmerlin

Sneak peek!

Post by ensignmerlin »

A sneak peek at a unit from the modding part. I'll add one in every once in a while until I can actually get to the StarEdit phase.
Props to lord of Ascension, BST Rhino, and the rest for making their wonderful programs.

Minuteman-Light infantry.(Tirmac Rebellion Unit)

Background information:
Named for the earth patriots of old who fought to free their country from oppression, these are the primary infantr used by the Tirmac Rebels. Despite their ragtag appearance they are incredibly powerful against lightly armoured targets such as Flitters and other infantry. Although relatively powerful for infantry, their major drawbacks are a slow reloading time and poor penetration. to combat this, some weapons have been modified to fire even faster though at the price of inflicting damage to their guns. Recently technologies have been able to further improve the distance of their shots through the use of special grooved bullets, although quanities are rather limited.

In-Game information:
Somewhere between the Marine and Ghost. Minutemen use rifles like ghosts so they have a long cooldown. But instead of a sniper rifle they use something more akin to the m1 grand. They have a durable 60HP, powerful concussive 12 damage, and a range of 6. Their cooldown is extremely slow though so it's best to stagger them. In terms of sprites, the Minuteman replaces the Marine.
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

Ugh.. I may have a little trouble hitting the deadline, as recently I've been restricted to only an hour per day in which to use a computer. Still, I'll do what I can but don't be surprised if I can't make it...
ensignmerlin

Screen Capture?

Post by ensignmerlin »

Sorry.. I didn't know where else to put this but... how do you take a screenshot in starcraft? (Finished 2 races so far, currently in balancing phase)
Milldawg
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Re: Screen Capture?

Post by Milldawg »

Press Print Screen. It should save as a pcx file. If you want to convert it to a different format, use IrfanView or a similar program.
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

Some Screens...  (As attachments..)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

Flitter-Early game scouting and harassment.
The flitter is a light air unit available in the early game for scouting and harassment. Altough it can fly, it has no shields and a very weak attack. Because of its small size, powerful engine, and high manuverability it is faster than most other units. Recently they have been outfitted with powerful land mines that can help add the extra punch they need against ground targets in addition to more powerful engines, though many outposts have not received the upgrade.

In-Game info:
They fill the role of the old Vulture as a high speed attacker. They tend to stack inside the game and are deadly in packs. They do normal damage.
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

ok, I've got some more screens... These show my color tests using "Ghostlings" to test how well my image editor is working with retro grp.
Also, does anybody know how to edit smk files?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Take a look at our tutorials. You can convert SMK files to JPG or AVI to edit with Smacker Tools (old version) and then convert them back to SMK (Smack!).

Also, ensignmerlin, just a plus for me and less of a hassle if you could convert your PCX to JPG to viewing purposes instead of having to download them =P
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

Well, since I finally have the time to do a development diary instead of a quick note here and there...

Development Diary #1:

I've finally gotten all the stats for all 3 races down in my notebook though buildings aren't completely finished. The terrans and protoss have had their stats, weapons, and scripts edited for their new units though I haven't edited the AI or anything.. I  did some testing and my idea for double spawning drones seems to have failed miserably. Recently when trying to edit the scripting to make the golaith's turret work with only siege tank graphics without crashing my Iscript file was destroyed, forcing me to begin redoing all of the script editing again.. Made a new graphic for the siege tank but I'm having trouble making a GRP that also doesn't cause starcraft to crash... Also trying to figure out how to work .tbl edit and somehow make new unit portraits. Some information on converting models from Anim8or into usable sprites would be great as well.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

CONTESTANT IS APPROVED- SUFFICIENT UPDATES.

PLEASE USE JPG.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

Grenadier-Heavy Infantry.

For the Tirmac, infantry is a mainstay of battle. Especially when tanks and walkers are unavailable, heavy infantry can be an important part of any attack against heavy bases or large tanks. These warriors are equipped with rocket launchers stolen from Kazka storehouses for their Light Walkers designed for use against air attacks. However, because of the weapon's massive weight, Grenadiers can only fire them at the ground.

In-game information:
Basically, a guy with a bazooka. Powerful, explosive, attack with a very long cooldown. The range leaves a little more to be desired but still useful against tank encampments. They have rather low health but heavier armour than minutemen. As stated before, they cannot hit air targets.
Last edited by ensignmerlin on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

Development Update #2...

Ok, I finally fixed my screwed up Iscript file and also got the Tbl-Pad work done for the Tirmac forces. Next in line is the graphics, Tbl work for the Kazka, stats for the Menkhi, and more Iscripting. If anybody would like to help I am having a little trouble making models that look any good. (Takes me about a full day's worth of work for a single model.) I'll attach some Screens later when and if I have the chance today to show some of the work so far. To sum it all up:

Tirmac Race: basic stats, Iscripting, concept, and naming all finished. Still needs graphics.

Kazka Race: basic stats and concept completed. Still need to do scripting and naming along with graphics.

Menkhi Race: only the concept so far, stats are still expirimental and undergoing balance changes. Scripting and naming are far off. Graphics are just a dream right now...

Maps: Only the concepts for mission 1(all 3 share this one) and mission 2 for each race.
ensignmerlin

Post by ensignmerlin »

Development Update #3

So, I haven't gotten much done lately I'm afraid.. My drones and Overlords keep crashing... Kazka have a little scripting done, though I'm having technical difficulties with my IceCC as well.. Naming is done, new shiny graphics seem like only a dream at this point by release date. Balancing is out the window until I can get some help over Battle.net, sounds are even further away than the graphics...