ACMD0 (working title)

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Re: ACMD0 (working title)

Post by Marine »

Thalraxal wrote: Oh, and a proper title.  Maybe I'll just call this thing "All Confederates Must Die!" and be done with it.
I dont like that name, not just because my campaign is about the Confederacy. :P

I'll test your maps and post feedback tomorrow.
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
Marine

Post by Marine »

Okay I'm not as good as Ricky but here is what I have.

MAP 1:

-The mission briefings were pretty fast, hard to keep up with what they were saying.

MAP 2:

-Dialogue was fast but not as fast as Map 1.
-Miss spelled 'survivors' in the beginning when he says (lets round up survivors) you spelled it survivours.
-I had the SCVs but I couldnt gather or anything because you didnt give me the Terran Command Center. Plus I didnt have the money to build a command center.
-Slow a little on the attacks for the Zerg because they tear through my defenses and I cannot repair since I have little money.
+Did enjoy the fighting
+Dialogue was great

MAP 3:

-Mission briefings still fast, dialogue was too a little.
-Same thing Ricky said to me. The two ghosts armor was teal when they were outside how is it that its purple when they enter?
-Vidar at the beginning when going into the 'tunnel to Engineering' he just vanishes into thin air. Uhh...?
-It'd be good to get some upgrades in here, to make you able to survive Zerg attacks.
-Also the Zerg walk right past me when they say "Sending Security team" when I go to Engineering not really a problem just a nuisance, or maybe you intended it.
-Typos: (The marine spells it weht, when you say "The Adjunct weht nuts" should be went.)
+Again enjoy the dialogue
+Enjoyed the SCV hero heh
-At the part with the Torrasque you give my goliath here back but hes blue making it hard to find where he is.

Map 4:

-Ill just say because im guessing all mission briefings are fast lol.

Not bad, pretty good. Get rid of all the minor problems I gave you and it was really great to play. I enjoyed it especially the dialogue though if slower I'd enjoy it more. Good job!
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Positives :
- Good terrain in general
- Some custom content
- Fairly logical story

Negatives :
- Obviously missing some map content (ex : some maps cut very short, missing etc.)
- Characters a bit too bland overall (especially in the beginning) as in we don't really care about them that much positively or negatively.

Now, my preference/bug list :

Note : Didn't really searched for typos for in-game text messages, only for briefings.

###GENERAL###

- Briefings goes a bit too quick making it hard for slow readers

###MAP 1 (1-00)###

Odd : Why so little map space used on a bigger map? Gives the impression that either you cut it short or you weren't a good judge of required map space.

Found typos in briefing : thair assault (their assault), Squardons (Squadrons), defences (defenses), targetting (targeting), defence (defense)

###MAP 2 (1-01)###

- If Vidar dies, there is no defeat.
- Kind of a pain to control and protect so many (10+) civilians along with the military units until their destinations.
- There should be a mission objective along with its defeat condition that losing X amount of civilians owned by you will make you go into defeat to prevent the player to lose time if he lost too many civilians in total and cannot complete the objective of rescuing 30 civilians.
- To avoid a deviation of the suggestion above, rescuable civilians should be invincible until they join your party.
- Preference : When moving the civilians to flag them as rescued, you should flag all civilians on the beacon at once and not just one at a time.
- Rescued red civilians can be killed by you without penalties. They should be invincible when fully rescued.

Found typos in briefing : Battlecrusier (Battlecruiser) <- twice

###MAP 3 (1-02)###

- CRITICAL : Too few "Bridge door Integrities" since Torrasque usually kill 1 and badly damage another "integrity" by the time Dreys arrive to shoot. In addition, when he starts shooting, Torrasque usually don't charge him. Essentially, this makes the map impossible to finish unless you use the god mode cheat.

- For the Torrasque part, it would help to have visual sight of the location of the Torrasque when giving the mission objective to stop it.
- Heroes were of teal color before entering the battlecruiser and somehow they are now of purple color.
- Odd : At the beginning, it seems a counter-intuitive that both ghost heroes are forced to kill the enemy turrets to move on with the story while it seems more logical for a ghost to avoid direct combat unless necessary. I am tempted to suggest to remove the last row of turrets and make the story move on when they are more or less at the "passage".
- If Dreys dies, there is no defeat.
- The plasma vents are too likely to kill you if you set your game speed to slow (even a bit too likely at normal, rather requires fast speed due to how triggers works every 2 seconds not considering game time). Perphas add an extra second wait between plasma discharges.
- If the marine dies before being expandable, there is no defeat.
- The in-game objectives (via the game menu) didn't update about preventing the marine's death when initially found.
  Note : Should re-update the in-game objectives when he becomes expendable.
- Possible to manually kill Casey Flynn when initially found without a defeat. She should be invulnerable when you first find her but cannot control her.
- New mission objectives (both text message and in menu) should update to mention that you need to bring Casey Flynn to the computer to open the repair bay's doors. Mostly to make it crystal clear.
- For the tip about using SCVs to grab resources, there is no information that mention that Casey Flynn (being a SCV hero) cannot grab resources. In addition, the tip also implies that all SCVs can repair however it doesn't say that Flynn cannot.
- Putting a marine alone inside a goliath only change the goliath's color and the goliath must be "rescued" by other units to be usable instead of to be usable immediately.

Found typos in briefing : Battlecrusiers (Battlecruisers)

###MAP 4 (1-04)###

- If Eandril dies, there is no defeat.
- Despite Eandril's warning to not betray him, you can kill a protoss building under your command without penalities (other than losing the building).

Found typos in briefing : Unfortunalty (Unfortunately)

###MAP 5 (1-05)###

Odd : No "MENGSK" above the line "And from that throne, I shall watch over you" while all other lines does.

Still have some more typo reports to say but I have to go suddenly, gonna update a bit more eventually.
EDIT : Posted other typos reports (only briefing ones).
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: defence (defense)
Defence is fine.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Thanks for the reviews!

EDIT (28-03-08): Working on an updated version, hoping to release it sometime tonight.
Marine 382BB wrote:
Thalraxal wrote: Oh, and a proper title.  Maybe I'll just call this thing "All Confederates Must Die!" and be done with it.
I dont like that name, not just because my campaign is about the Confederacy. :P

I'll test your maps and post feedback tomorrow.
Yeah, I don't like that title either.  I'm still stuck.  I guess it's still ACMD0 for now.
MAP 2:

-Dialogue was fast but not as fast as Map 1.
-Miss spelled 'survivors' in the beginning when he says (lets round up survivors) you spelled it survivours. T: I noticed that, and fixed some of them, but not all.  Will be fixed. Fixed!
-I had the SCVs but I couldnt gather or anything because you didnt give me the Terran Command Center. Plus I didnt have the money to build a command center. T: That's intentional.  You can see in some of the earlier screenshots that originally you got that CC at the beginning, but I later decided to not let you get a base till later.
-Slow a little on the attacks for the Zerg because they tear through my defenses and I cannot repair since I have little money. T:  I was thinking about having some supply caches around the city to give you extra cash, might include that in the next version.
+Did enjoy the fighting Yay!
+Dialogue was great Thanks!
MAP 3:

-Mission briefings still fast, dialogue was too a little.  Fixed!
-Same thing Ricky said to me. The two ghosts armor was teal when they were outside how is it that its purple when they enter? T: Lighting change.  Really.
-Vidar at the beginning when going into the 'tunnel to Engineering' he just vanishes into thin air. Uhh...? T: He's suppose to enter that nearby tunnel, but in case he didn't get that, I did put in a failsafe to remove him.
-It'd be good to get some upgrades in here, to make you able to survive Zerg attacks. T: Hmm... I'll think about this.
-Also the Zerg walk right past me when they say "Sending Security team" when I go to Engineering not really a problem just a nuisance, or maybe you intended it.
-Typos: (The marine spells it weht, when you say "The Adjunct weht nuts" should be went.) Fixed!
+Again enjoy the dialogue T: Thanks again!
+Enjoyed the SCV hero heh T: There's not nearly enough of them :)
-At the part with the Torrasque you give my goliath here back but hes blue making it hard to find where he is. T: Yeah, I noticed that.  The trigger's there, it just points at Vidar the Ghost and not Vidar the Goliath.  Will be fixed.  Fixed!
Ricky_Honejasi wrote: ###MAP 1 (1-00)###

Odd : Why so little map space used on a bigger map? Gives the impression that either you cut it short or you weren't a good judge of required map space.
When I first started working on Mission 0, I was originally planning on having a second part about Kenton, but I ended up dropping that when I changed his origins around (in my original plan, he was stationed outside New Augusta, in the final he was stationed inside the city).
Ricky_Honejasi wrote: ###MAP 2 (1-01)###

- If Vidar dies, there is no defeat. T: Drat, selected the wrong Vidar in the triggers.  Fixed!
- Kind of a pain to control and protect so many (10+) civilians along with the military units until their destinations. T: That's the idea!
- There should be a mission objective along with its defeat condition that losing X amount of civilians owned by you will make you go into defeat to prevent the player to lose time if he lost too many civilians in total and cannot complete the objective of rescuing 30 civilians. T: I thought for sure that there was trigger for that, but looking at the map, there turns out that there isn't.  Will be fixed.  Fixed!
- To avoid a deviation of the suggestion above, rescuable civilians should be invincible until they join your party. T: The Civilians are rescuable, so the Zerg won't actually attack them (I suppose you can though).  I had thought about having the Zerg attack civilians before you rescued them, but decided that that would be too frustrating
- Preference : When moving the civilians to flag them as rescued, you should flag all civilians on the beacon at once and not just one at a time. T: The way it's currently set, it has to be one at a time, but I can change that.  Might be changed.
- Rescued red civilians can be killed by you without penalties. They should be invincible when fully rescued. T: Again, I thought I'd it to work that way.  Will be fixed.  Fixed!
###MAP 3 (1-02)###

- CRITICAL : Too few "Bridge door Integrities" since Torrasque usually kill 1 and badly damage another "integrity" by the time Dreys arrive to shoot. In addition, when he starts shooting, Torrasque usually don't charge him. Essentially, this makes the map impossible to finish unless you use the god mode cheat. T: Agreed.  Like I said before, I wish I had the chance to play around with this fight abit more.  As it is, it's either too easy, or impossible.

- For the Torrasque part, it would help to have visual sight of the location of the Torrasque when giving the mission objective to stop it. T: Will be fixed
- Heroes were of teal color before entering the battlecruiser and somehow they are now of purple color. T: I'm usually pretty fanatical about Hero Colour, this is the first time in eons that I wasn't.
- Odd : At the beginning, it seems a counter-intuitive that both ghost heroes are forced to kill the enemy turrets to move on with the story while it seems more logical for a ghost to avoid direct combat unless necessary. I am tempted to suggest to remove the last row of turrets and make the story move on when they are more or less at the "passage".  T: Hmm, in the situation, the Adjunct had the drop on them, but it's a good point.  I think I will add an avoidance option for this fight.
- If Dreys dies, there is no defeat.  Fixed!
- The plasma vents are too likely to kill you if you set your game speed to slow (even a bit too likely at normal, rather requires fast speed due to how triggers works every 2 seconds not considering game time). Perphas add an extra second wait between plasma discharges. T: I tested the map at Normal speed, and didn't have a problem here.  I'm going wait before I decide on that one.
- If the marine dies before being expandable, there is no defeat. T: I knew I forgot something!  Thanks!  Fixed!
- The in-game objectives (via the game menu) didn't update about preventing the marine's death when initially found.
  Note : Should re-update the in-game objectives when he becomes expendable. T: Will be fixed.  Fixed!
- Possible to manually kill Casey Flynn when initially found without a defeat. She should be invulnerable when you first find her but cannot control her. T: D'oh!  Will be fixed.  Fixed!
- New mission objectives (both text message and in menu) should update to mention that you need to bring Casey Flynn to the computer to open the repair bay's doors. Mostly to make it crystal clear. T: Will be fixed.  Fixed!
- For the tip about using SCVs to grab resources, there is no information that mention that Casey Flynn (being a SCV hero) cannot grab resources. In addition, the tip also implies that all SCVs can repair however it doesn't say that Flynn cannot. T: Good point.  I was originally hoping to have Flynn being able to repair, but it wasn't working, which is why I added the SCVs into the map.  Since there was the possiblity of having the SCVs pick up the resources, I decided to have them collect the resources instead.  I'll change it so that Flynn can collect them too.
- Putting a marine alone inside a goliath only change the goliath's color and the goliath must be "rescued" by other units to be usable instead of to be usable immediately. T:  Agreed, that's one of the issues I didn't get around to fixing.  Will be fixed.  Fixed!
###MAP 4 (1-04)###

- If Eandril dies, there is no defeat. T: D'oh!  Fixed!
- Despite Eandril's warning to not betray him, you can kill a protoss building under your command without penalities (other than losing the building). T: I didn't think about that.  I think I might have Eandril make a comment about it, but I don't think I'll penalize the player.  There are situations where you really need to blow up your own buildings.
And thanks for spotting those spelling errors and typos for me!  I'll get working on fixing those too.
wibod wrote:
Ricky_Honejasi wrote: defence (defense)
Defence is fine.
I'm a strong supporter of Canadian Spelling.  No matter how strange it may be!  Survivour is still wrong, however.
Last edited by Thalraxal on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

Kewl, I'll play the fixed version once it comes out.  8)
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

The next version is took longer than I thought it would.  :-[

I've got the bugs that Marine and Ricky spotted fixed, but I decided that I wanted to play around with some of the dialog.  The new version is ready for release, but I'm still toying with acouple ideas, so I'll probably post the maps here sometime tomorrow.  Or maybe Thursday.  Soon anyway.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

:) Hello. I am new here. I have played your campaign, and I have enjoyed very much. ;D

However, I found many bugs and questions, most are already exposed above, but there are others.

MISSION 00 - THE INVASION OF TARSONIS

you had planned to make a second part abot Devon, but that ultimately was dropping. In the next version, are you going to add it?

MISSION 01 - NEW AUGUSTA

Nothing further to add. A great map.

MISSION 02 - GERYON

Why all the locations of doors have names of Cerebrates? What has happened to Colonel Devon?

MISSION 03 - UNKNOWN NAME

You said not added this mission because the map itself didn't add much to the storyline. Will you add it in the next version?

MISSION 04 - INTEGRITY

There are four generators on the platform, but it is not known to who are they belong, or which they are used, or why are they there.

MISSION 05 - EPILOGUE

There are many locations without using, such as Blue Psi, Yellow Lair, Red Drones, Doc Corval's Lair, WMi Beacon, etc.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

omega20 wrote: :) Hello. I am new here. I have played your campaign, and I have enjoyed very much. ;D
Thanks, Omega!  Welcome to the forum!
omega20 wrote:However, I found many bugs and questions, most are already exposed above, but there are others.

MISSION 00 - THE INVASION OF TARSONIS

you had planned to make a second part abot Devon, but that ultimately was dropping. In the next version, are you going to add it?
I might add something to use up the unused space (expand the part of the city you see in this mission), but I don't think I'll add the part I had planned.
omega20 wrote:MISSION 01 - NEW AUGUSTA

Nothing further to add. A great map.
Thanks!
omega20 wrote:MISSION 02 - GERYON

Why all the locations of doors have names of Cerebrates? What has happened to Colonel Devon?
My new passtime in installation maps is to have some sort of naming scheme for the doors.  It also makes it easier to remember which one is which.  Mission 2's scheme just happened to be Cerebrates.

Devon is dead, he died in the crash.  In a perfect world, I'd have an Upper Floor Corpse Doodad for him.  I'll probably add that in as soon as I figure out where I left my copy of Wargiant's Improved Installation Terrain...
omega20 wrote:MISSION 03 - UNKNOWN NAME

You said not added this mission because the map itself didn't add much to the storyline. Will you add it in the next version?
Not in the next version, maybe in a future version.  I might release it later as a little bonus extra thing, but I doubt it will be properly integrated into the rest of the campaign unless I do some sort of 'Special Platnum Edition' rehaul of the campaign.
omega20 wrote:MISSION 04 - INTEGRITY

There are four generators on the platform, but it is not known to who are they belong, or which they are used, or why are they there.
Like the ones that appear in Mission 2, they're just decorative.
omega20 wrote:MISSION 05 - EPILOGUE

There are many locations without using, such as Blue Psi, Yellow Lair, Red Drones, Doc Corval's Lair, WMi Beacon, etc.
I'll admit to having borrowed the terrain from another one of my own campaigns.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Thanks for the information. ;D  I hope you can soon upload the next version of the campaign.

8) I really love the campaigns whose events take place during the campaigns of Starcraft and Brood War, and ACMD0 is among the best. Congratulations! ;) ;)

And one last thing. I have heard that ACMD0 is only a "prequel" to another campaign. Is this true? If so, when you have finished this campaign? ;D
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Thalraxal wrote: Devon is dead, he died in the crash.  In a perfect world, I'd have an Upper Floor Corpse Doodad for him.  I'll probably add that in as soon as I figure out where I left my copy of Wargiant's Improved Installation Terrain...
Ohh, poor Devon. A little dignified death of a man with his rank.  :'( :'( If you want, you can place the Substructure Corpse Doodan in anywhere with the ScmDraft 2, but they note too that is not there. He he. ::)
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Thanks again, omega!

The next version is done, I just need to finish bug testing it.
omega20 wrote: And one last thing. I have heard that ACMD0 is only a "prequel" to another campaign. Is this true? If so, when you have finished this campaign? ;D
Yep!  ACMD0 is a prequel for ACMD!.  I started work on ACMD! first, but I put it on hold while I worked on ACMD0 for the StarCraft Mini-Campaign Contest.  I've since resumed work on ACMD! and I'll probably get around to posting something about it in the StarCraft Sub-forum sometime soon.  Probably after I release the next version of ACMD0.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Okay. Thanks. Tip when you go to create a post of ACMD. I warn you if I find some other bug in ACMD0.
Last edited by omega20 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

In ACMD, are you going to show the same characters as in the prequel? Will you continue the story told in ACMD0?
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

omega20 wrote: In ACMD, are you going to show the same characters as in the prequel? Will you continue the story told in ACMD0?
Dreys, Vidar, Flynn and Kenton are all in ACMD!.  Which now has a thread over here.

Did a first run through of the new version.  In Mission 2, I reduced the Torrasque's damage, but changed around its AI, which has resulted in it going from Exceedingly Easy or Impossible, to just plain Impossible. :(

Looks like I'll be playing around with that fight alittle bit more before I release the next version...