General questions regarding the LOTC projects

Your destination for all things related to the Legacy of the Confederation series, including StarCraft, Brood War, and StarCraft II editions.

Moderator: The Oracle

The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: General questions regarding the LOTC projects

Post by The Oracle »

How much of a mess is messy? I never played it.
Jayborino
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Jayborino »

A serious mess: https://youtu.be/3vQY46hKIow

There's also a stream VOD I did from last week where I played more of the maps and they get much worse.
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

The Oracle wrote:How much of a mess is messy? I never played it.
Huge ripoffs. :P

You can also read more about these hack-expansions here:
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCra ... lar_Forces
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft:_Retribution
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft:_Insurrection
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

The Oracle wrote:I found two of them. Apocalyptic Garden is still MIA.
Thats great! :D Cant wait to hear them.

Btw, Oracle. The structure of this thread is a bit awkward now. My fault. Sorry. Anyways added a few more questions for ya. :)
Sorry in advance if there are too many questions at once. But it's just great to have you back.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

CowardI wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I found two of them. Apocalyptic Garden is still MIA.
Thats great! :D Cant wait to hear them.

Btw, Oracle. The structure of this thread is a bit awkward now. My fault. Sorry. Anyways added a few more questions for ya. :)
Sorry in advance if there are too many questions at once. But it's just great to have you back.
Where are these questions of yours?
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

The Oracle wrote:Where are these questions of yours?
Oh. A few posts back in this thread :)

Posted this in response to your first post in this thread. Just forgot to add the quotes (" ").

CowardI wrote:Re: General questions regarding the LOTC projects
Postby CowardI » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Hey oracle, :)

Glad you are back. :) I was concerned that we might have had a case of "declared dead in absentia".

As you can see from our posts above, not many people are so happy with the present Blizzard either. The golden age of Blizzard, at least for "us", is gone. The creative atmosphere, storyline and gameplay from Diablo 1 & 2, Warcraft 2 & 3 and Stacraft BW that shit is over. It's really sad too. Because the mentioned games had so much good custom content. Made by the fans, for the fans so it could expand and evolve future Blizzard games. Blizzard could have made it easy for us. Instead, almost as if some CEO in Blizzard became jealous or something, they tried to make it as hard as possible to make custom content.

25 000 downloads for Fallen Angel? That's good. If we take into account the time it was released (much slower and not so much widespread internet use).
That made me think: Have you ever heard of the hack expansions made for Stacraft in 1998? You know Starcraft: Insurrection, Starcraft: Retribution and Starcraft: Stellar Forces? They are total crap and added no new units. These expansions where actually released and sold in stores. My point is: Did you ever try to release LOTC as a Starcraft expansion? Did you ever appeal to Blizzard? Did someone inside Blizzard comment on your work at the time LOTC was released?

Glad to hear the characters are returning. Sad to hear the old voice actors are gone, but I do hope you keep in touch with them. :) I really liked the voice of the UPL Defense Net Director. He was so dark, cool and subtle. Will also miss the voice actor of Karla Wainwright. Another voice witch stood out to me when i played last time was Janine Halsey from the 2nd mission in Past Purposes. It might just be that we live in a really hyper sexual culture nowadays, but did you realize at the time the hint it gives when one of her move quotes are: "I'm coming, I'm coming." ? :P

Thanks for considering looking up those teasers. :)
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

CowardI wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Where are these questions of yours?
Oh. A few posts back in this thread :)

Posted this in response to your first post in this thread. Just forgot to add the quotes (" ").

CowardI wrote:Re: General questions regarding the LOTC projects
Postby CowardI » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Hey oracle, :)

Glad you are back. :) I was concerned that we might have had a case of "declared dead in absentia".

As you can see from our posts above, not many people are so happy with the present Blizzard either. The golden age of Blizzard, at least for "us", is gone. The creative atmosphere, storyline and gameplay from Diablo 1 & 2, Warcraft 2 & 3 and Stacraft BW that shit is over. It's really sad too. Because the mentioned games had so much good custom content. Made by the fans, for the fans so it could expand and evolve future Blizzard games. Blizzard could have made it easy for us. Instead, almost as if some CEO in Blizzard became jealous or something, they tried to make it as hard as possible to make custom content.

25 000 downloads for Fallen Angel? That's good. If we take into account the time it was released (much slower and not so much widespread internet use).
That made me think: Have you ever heard of the hack expansions made for Stacraft in 1998? You know Starcraft: Insurrection, Starcraft: Retribution and Starcraft: Stellar Forces? They are total crap and added no new units. These expansions where actually released and sold in stores. My point is: Did you ever try to release LOTC as a Starcraft expansion? Did you ever appeal to Blizzard? Did someone inside Blizzard comment on your work at the time LOTC was released?

Glad to hear the characters are returning. Sad to hear the old voice actors are gone, but I do hope you keep in touch with them. :) I really liked the voice of the UPL Defense Net Director. He was so dark, cool and subtle. Will also miss the voice actor of Karla Wainwright. Another voice witch stood out to me when i played last time was Janine Halsey from the 2nd mission in Past Purposes. It might just be that we live in a really hyper sexual culture nowadays, but did you realize at the time the hint it gives when one of her move quotes are: "I'm coming, I'm coming." ? :P

Thanks for considering looking up those teasers. :)
Thanks mate,

Okay for #1, I never went to Blizz with it. Would be interesting to rewind the clock and have seen what happened though.

For #2, uh....no.
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

The Oracle wrote:Thanks mate,

Okay for #1, I never went to Blizz with it. Would be interesting to rewind the clock and have seen what happened though.

For #2, uh....no.
Hehe. :)

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry if these questions might be redundant. Must have been asked these over a thousand times, but I just gotta say I'm really impressed by the production value of this private mod. :) You guys did a fantastic job. Especially when we consider that this mod is almost 16 years old. Who knew that we could use the triggers in SC editor to create this almost cinematic experience while playing. You should consider doing a little commentary with JayBorino in one of the videos where you discuss the production of this mod. Would be an interesting bit of Starcraft history.
Last edited by CowardI on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Yeah that wasnt sexualization that was just bad acting.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Revolta wrote:Yeah that wasnt sexualization that was just bad acting.
And Mr. Revolta wins the round. Yes, Halsey voiced by my girlfriend of the time actually. She was good at many many things, but credible voice acting was not among them. Female voices are a rare and precious thing for SC maps after all, so I took the bitter with the better.
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

The Oracle wrote:
Revolta wrote:Yeah that wasnt sexualization that was just bad acting.
And Mr. Revolta wins the round. Yes, Halsey voiced by my girlfriend of the time actually. She was good at many many things, but credible voice acting was not among them. Female voices are a rare and precious thing for SC maps after all, so I took the bitter with the better.
Hehe, right.
First time I played it I didn't think anything of it. Wasn't until I played the campaign again later I had to let loose a little giggle. :)

All around I think LOTC had good voice acting. Like I mentioned before, the UPL defense director was good (Oracle, is that you btw? Did you voice the UPL defense net?). I can remember a quote from Lieutenant Rand regarding his kid flushing the medal of honor down the toilet. :P Lol'ed like hell first time i heard that.

In episode 2 Furlong and Wainwright stood out to me. The guy who voiced Ra'Chek was also good. Conveyed really well that he was a cold, bitter and vengeful man.

And of course Angel and the keeper Stimwell <--(Don't know if i spelled that right) from Fallen Angel.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Appreciate the comments on Defense Net. Yes that was yours truly. So was Rand.

Furlong is a battle.net buddy who I used to do 7 to 1 Comp Stomps with.
Ra'Chek was Joel Steudler (who also did a lot of the graphics and both cinematics for the campaign)
Angel/Ambrosia was another b.net buddy
And Stilwell (Namesake of the cowboy Frank C. Stilwell) was me.
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

The Oracle wrote:Appreciate the comments on Defense Net. Yes that was yours truly. So was Rand.

Furlong is a battle.net buddy who I used to do 7 to 1 Comp Stomps with.
Ra'Chek was Joel Steudler (who also did a lot of the graphics and both cinematics for the campaign)
Angel/Ambrosia was another b.net buddy
And Stilwell (Namesake of the cowboy Frank C. Stilwell) was me.
Nice. :D Are you a voice actor or done any part-time voice acting jobs? If not, you must either be a CEO or an Officer in real life with a voice like that. :P

Interesting. Do you still keep in touch with Joel Steudler? On the topic of graphics, how did he manage to create the unit portraits in Starcraft 1 anyway? Those where really well done and added the impression that the production value of LOTC must have been huge (in scale for private modders at least). That's why i think it was very weird and unfair when i found out about those hack expansions I mentioned earlier got sold in stores.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Making portraits involves rendering frames from a 3d model, same as sprites.
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

IskatuMesk wrote:Making portraits involves rendering frames from a 3d model, same as sprites.
Forgive me for being naive. Don't know much about making models. :P
But from what i can guess, its not just the process of making them. There is also a process of trying to find the right tools and converting the models so the graphics and animations can be interpreted by the Starcraft engine . I am also guessing that back in 1998-9, these tools and tutorials where not floating around like today.