StarcraftTM Extended Universe Project and Remastering Old Campaigns

wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

StarcraftTM Extended Universe Project and Remastering Old Campaigns

Post by wibod »

First of all I'd like to congratulate chris on his undertaking that will benefit the SC community tremendously going forward. Taking the time to exhaustively catalogue, play, and rate the depth and breadth of the content produced by this community is no small challenge. Furthermore his concise, well thought out, and easily understandable excel sheet is a fantastic idea. His secondary plans to incorporate this into a StarcraftTM Extended Universe ala the Marvel® Cinematic Universe is genius. Tying together these disparate campaigns into a cohesive whole is definitely a challenge, and his plans to remaster those with problematic content or unrealistic expectations of player skill is brilliant, and will help bring these works of art to future generations.

This brings us to the topic of this thread, remastering classic campaigns for the current year, and being socially conscious. The VOTF campaigns are classic's, but it is obvious they were made in a different time, and in 2020 they are very obviously problematic. These campaigns while best intentioned have instances of cultural appropriation (it is made by a wh*te), and glorification of otaku culture. If the past twenty years have taught us anything it's that otaku culture is a gateway to murder (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... re-1263818), and exposing new and impressionable members of the community to these things would be irresponsible. Even those who don't turn into killers are irrevocably harmed as can be witnessed everyday by the brain dead anime avatars on twitter spamming gamer words at members of the media like this individual Image

I look forward to your ongoing work chris, as you are especially qualified to handle this, and your goals are noble.

p.s. Do you have a patreon I can donate to fund your work?
Drunk Swede
Terran Refinery Attendant

Re: StarcraftTM Extended Universe Project and Remastering Old Campaigns

Post by Drunk Swede »

wibod wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:18 pm The VOTF campaigns are classic's, but it is obvious they were made in a different time
Thanks to you enlightening me, I can only agree 100% that VOTF is very problematic. Not only does the story portray wamminz as objects, but it also places unreasonable expectations on the player, like using not just easy, not normal, not hard, BUT THE INSANE AI's!!! 3 of them at once!!!1! Chris! Get on it right now and change those insane ai's to easy, or you're enabling sexist, racist, homophobic gamer culture! >:(
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Wow!!! Recommended! I give it an SSS ranking. I would clap for you, but that would be ableist, so I'll give you some jazz hands instead.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Trolls frick off!!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yo man I'm not a tr*ll I'm a troglodyte >:(
Schwa

Post by Schwa »

IskatuMesk wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 pm Yo man I'm not a tr*ll I'm a troglodyte >:(
YOU'RE SECRETLY THE GREEK???!!?!?!?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

aw crap she knows about my sock collection!