Re: New StarCraft campaign: Voices of the Swarm

Post by chris » Fri May 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Arkanis wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 am
chris wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am
Arkanis wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 pm
Would love to try this out once it gets out but... couldn't it be somewhat ackward since these campaigns are from different authors, made at different times and not necessarily complementary or part of a "same" timeline?
Oh don't worry about that, it's very rare campaigns that get a recommendation conflict with each other and those that do are also conflicting with the canon plotline as well anyway. I think I can take some of those and use them as "what-if" campaigns, similar to what marvel has planned to do next year with all of its past movies.
Yes but I said it mostly because this idea of an "expanded universe" would really be an aggregation of various universes (since each author is not necessarily bound to each other and could at any time expand on their own universe disregarding the others).

Nonetheless it looks like a good idea to have a set of custom campaigns considered as "good" or "recommended", since there are really a lot of them and, sincerely, not all of them may deserve a try (without disrespecting anyone, but some campaigns I've come across the years have been... well, ugh).
This would only be a problem if the authors were still active or if they were authors interested in expanding on their own universe. The only authors who have made previous releases and are actively making serious work on campaigns currently are David Kang and Andrea Rosa, Andrea Rosa's work isn't going to conflict with an extended universe, in fact the campaigns created so far act as great glue for such a project. David Kang meanwhile is working on something completely new and promising. Pr0nogo is active but he isn't working on anything serious and I don't see a much hope that he will ever finish the two serious campaigns that he claims to be working on.

Topic author
Andrea Rosa
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Andrea Rosa » Sun May 03, 2020 3:45 am

chris wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 pm
You cannot use David Kang for beta testing a map. I had to remaster his campaigns because they were on a difficulty that only he could possibly beat.

Surely not for beta testing, however DK's playthroughs gave me a couple of ideas on how to improve ToH, since the first version was really too easy, but I hadn't realized it until that moment. He also spotted some problems that I had overlooked, such as the needing to duplicate the transmissions sent by a Tank depending on whether it's in normal or siege mode.

chris wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 pm
You also cannot use Pr0nogo anymore because he is burnt out and thinks everything is terrible, as discussed earlier.

Actually, the last thing I would want to see is one of my campaigns featured on his channel, not out of concern for his negative comments (everyone is entitled to their own opinions), but for all those omnipresent obnoxious sound effects (cawing crows, explosions, maniacal laughters, crying infants, etc) and the silly voices he makes when he reads the dialogues. Maybe he intends it as comic relief, but the overall impression is that he deliberately makes fun of other people's works. By the way, he has recently ascended to a new level, since he is now shitting even on his own creations (specifically, Inconsummate, which I have never played but looks really amazing)... I wonder if this is even his final form LOL
My only fear is to run out of beer

Topic author
Andrea Rosa

Post by Andrea Rosa » Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm

UPDATE

ALL MISSIONS

- The campaign has been rebranded as "Veteran Level"
- Auto-centering function for "End of Briefing" (mainly for those who have StarCraft Remastered).

MISSION 3 "DARK STALKERS"

- Fixed a bug that could prevent the position of the Healing Station from being shown on the map.
- Minimal changes to the map.
- The last transmission of Dr. Martens has been slightly changed.

MISSION 4 "PRODIGAL SON"

- Fixed a bug that, on some rare occasions, could break the cutscene in which Tassadar and Zeratul board the Shuttle.
- Protoss Reavers can no longer upgrade to 125 damage (this was not done by disabling the upgrade, but by modifying the Bonus value of the Scarabs)
- Sunken Colonies have +1 armor.
- New triggered attacks.
- The available resources have been slightly increased.

MISSION 5 "DIVIDE BY ZERO"

MISSION 6 "THE SKIES DARKEN"

- Auto-centering function for the in-game error messages related to the creation of Warlords.
- The "Thank You" text is now yellow colored

chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris » Tue May 12, 2020 12:21 am

Updated the files on the spreadsheet, also updated the following scores:
map: 80% to 85%
customizations: 0% to 5%
production value: 65% to 70%

As a result, overall score has gone from 75% to 76%

Arkanis
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Arkanis » Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 am

Andrea Rosa wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm
UPDATE

ALL MISSIONS

- The campaign has been rebranded as "Veteran Level"
- Auto-centering function for "End of Briefing" (mainly for those who have StarCraft Remastered).

MISSION 3 "DARK STALKERS"

- Fixed a bug that could prevent the position of the Healing Station from being shown on the map.
- Minimal changes to the map.
- The last transmission of Dr. Martens has been slightly changed.

MISSION 4 "PRODIGAL SON"

- Fixed a bug that, on some rare occasions, could break the cutscene in which Tassadar and Zeratul board the Shuttle.
- Protoss Reavers can no longer upgrade to 125 damage (this was not done by disabling the upgrade, but by modifying the Bonus value of the Scarabs)
- Sunken Colonies have +1 armor.
- New triggered attacks.

MISSION 5 "DIVIDE BY ZERO"

MISSION 6 "THE SKIES DARKEN"

- Auto-centering function for the in-game error messages related to the creation of Warlords.
- The "Thank You" text is now yellow colored
Cool, I'll give it a try this week. ;)

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth » Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 am

@Andrea Rosa, hello. I just want to drop off a quick note for you while you continue to produce what some would call "art". Campaigns, maps, scenarios, mods, fiction, anything is art here. With that said my only words of advice are older than the game you are using to create your work, but a truly quoted and practiced method here over decades in my and many other's experience:
Don't listen to what anyone has to say. This is for you, first and foremost.

You are not here to appease other people, only yourself. If you enjoy the work you have created, then what value is there from those who throw percentages, ranks, fact-checking, correction, or anything else at you in attempts to essentially sway your creativity in their direction. Be your own inspiration, let your own imagination grow and prosper. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

Topic author
Andrea Rosa

Post by Andrea Rosa » Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 am

Lavarinth wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 am
@Andrea Rosa, hello. I just want to drop off a quick note for you while you continue to produce what some would call "art". Campaigns, maps, scenarios, mods, fiction, anything is art here. With that said my only words of advice are older than the game you are using to create your work, but a truly quoted and practiced method here over decades in my and many other's experience:

You are not here to appease other people, only yourself. If you enjoy the work you have created, then what value is there from those who throw percentages, ranks, fact-checking, correction, or anything else at you in attempts to essentially sway your creativity in their direction. Be your own inspiration, let your own imagination grow and prosper. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Wise words Lavarinth, I couldn't agree more. Over the twenty years I've been creating custom content for StarCraft and other games, I've always been faithful to my principles. Even though recognition is important to me, I do what I do for myself in the first place (but also for other people, otherwise I would just keep my creations in my hard drive). At the same time, I'm not an integralist: I'm very open to suggestions, taking into great consideration what I perceive as useful advices on how to improve my works and make them more user-friendly. If an idea is good, there's no reason to ignore it just for the sake of being creative in an absolutist way. Conversely, If I don't like a proposed change, I will explain why I won't do it. According to my experience, this is a constructive approach to any kind of online community, and a viable way to build relationships with other fellow designers and/or players. With all this said, thanks for dropping in (to see what condition my condition was in, LOL)

chris

Post by chris » Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Lavarinth wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 am

I've sent you a PM but I'll say this part publicly: I believe Andrea will vouch that in his campaign threads me and Eredalis have in no way been judgmental but have instead focused on being encouraging and helping to stamp out bugs, as well as discussing our love for starcraft and custom campaigns and criticizing those who ARE judgmental (like Pr0nogo).

Topic author
Andrea Rosa

Post by Andrea Rosa » Wed May 13, 2020 7:29 am

chris wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 pm
I believe Andrea will vouch that in his campaign threads me and Eredalis have in no way been judgmental but have instead focused on being encouraging and helping to stamp out bugs, as well as discussing our love for starcraft and custom campaigns and criticizing those who ARE judgmental (like Pr0nogo).

There is no need to vouch for that. Anyone who has been following my campaign threads for a while will know that both Chris and Eredalis have been greatly helpful, not judgmental, and they haven't been trying to sway my creativity in their direction in any way. Indeed, I wish there were more people like them in this community (both here and on Staredit Network).