Scenario Distribution.

Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Scenario Distribution.

Post by Enkidu »

I know that maps are already compressed when you saved them on the spot... Is it okay to distribute campaigns I made as custom content on the website as attachments without trouble? Also, is it recommended to do it in a .zip file too?
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: Scenario Distribution.

Post by Revolta »

If they are multiple maps in the same campaign or package, zip or rar them.

Uploading to mega or some other alternative wouldn't be a bad idea in case the website goes down and you still want your link to work.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Yeah, it's fine to upload them as an attachment. Although, it can be risky uploading them as an attachment, since they can get lost or corrupted if there's a forum upgrade or other forum related issues. It's unlikely to happen, but it has happened before. I know Church has a bunch of missing files for campaigns on her StarCraft Fan Campaign Listing just because of forum issues corrupting attachments. I still check ACMD0's attachments from time to time to make sure they still work.

It's not mandatory to put the files in a zip archive (or rar or 7z or whatever compression agent you favour), but it does make it much more convenient to download so I would strongly advise doing so. Also, I think StarEdit's compression feature was broken at one point, I don't know if it ever got fixed. Although, IIRC, most third-party editors fix that problem anyway.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Thalraxal wrote:Yeah, it's fine to upload them as an attachment. Although, it can be risky uploading them as an attachment, since they can get lost or corrupted if there's a forum upgrade or other forum related issues. It's unlikely to happen, but it has happened before. I know Church has a bunch of missing files for campaigns on her StarCraft Fan Campaign Listing just because of forum issues corrupting attachments. I still check ACMD0's attachments from time to time to make sure they still work.

It's not mandatory to put the files in a zip archive (or rar or 7z or whatever compression agent you favour), but it does make it much more convenient to download so I would strongly advise doing so. Also, I think StarEdit's compression feature was broken at one point, I don't know if it ever got fixed. Although, IIRC, most third-party editors fix that problem anyway.
Well cool beans! ;D
I wanted to know that and also, true it would be risky and the files might be gone, but at least, if nothing else, I still have the original files on my computers and that's good enough to help me out, in case that happens, that i can re-upload them again. Also, I didn't know about StarEdit's broken compression functions... I thought they work automatically when they're saved, but I could be wrong. :P