It's been a long time.

mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Re: It's been a long time.

Post by mark_009_vn »

wibod wrote: You should probably stop posting since you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Sure... If you prefered such, won't argue with you anymore...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Ardis
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Ardis »

I had ruled out EAW for other reasons, but thank you for the information.

The hardpoint systems is one I'm not fond of because the hardpoints are the ONLY thing you can target. Unless I wanted to go out of my way to make dedicated "hull" hardpoints that were the ship itself AND could make it so destroying those hardpoints would wipe out all attached systems, there isn't much I can do about it short of making them without hardpoints entirely (see sub-capital ships.)
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Ardis wrote:I had ruled out EAW for other reasons, but thank you for the information.

The hardpoint systems is one I'm not fond of because the hardpoints are the ONLY thing you can target. Unless I wanted to go out of my way to make dedicated "hull" hardpoints that were the ship itself AND could make it so destroying those hardpoints would wipe out all attached systems, there isn't much I can do about it short of making them without hardpoints entirely (see sub-capital ships.)
You can technically target the ship and the AI will split up it's fire onto different hardpoints. Unfortunately most RTS games with hardpoints have similar problems or lag like a motherfucker when you start to add lots of them (HW2). I guess you could look at the HW2 remake that'll be coming out sometime soonish, but ewwwww gearbox.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The remake is highly unlikely to have changed any actual engine elements. In all likelihood they took pepper's dll extension and photoshopped the textures to be more cartoony and that's it. That much is evident by their screenshots in which they clearly didn't touch the particles or anything similar. Don't give that disgusting company any money.
Ardis

Post by Ardis »

If I can figure out SpringRTS, then I might give that one a try, otherwise the RTS idea is going on the shelf for a while longer. I had looked at it before, but I was in college and working at the time so I didn't really have time to learn a new engine.

I don't intend for ships to have a lot of hardpoints, either. The Selveris, which I posted links to earlier on this thread, will probably only have the following:

1x Main hull:
-1x Main cannon
-2x Side cannons
-2x Side hulls
+2x large turrets
+1x engine group

Debating on including the bridge with the main hull or make it a separate hardpoint. I feel like capital ships would be too easy to kill if I give a bridge hardpoint without making it unrealistically tanky, especially considering the faction that uses the Selveris doesn't have shield technology.

I could go the Babylon 5 approach and make interceptor cannon hardpoints; short range turrets that are intended for shooting down projectiles and fighters.