StarCraft: Gas (StarCraft campaign)

Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: StarCraft: Gas (StarCraft campaign)

Post by Church »

Gas version 1.03a is complete! This is also known as the Long Belated Update. Grab it over at: http://www.sendspace.com/file/woc7fy

Patch Details:
~*Version 1.03a*~
Global Changes:
- Fixed up the Readme a bit.
Levels
Level 2:
- Resisted nervous breakdown at how horrible the terrain is.
- Minor dialogue change.
- Removed a revealed area on the map, that originally showed where Charlie was (though he's no longer there.)
- Made the 'landed Battlecruiser' have the same health as a regular Battlecruiser.
Level 4:
- Fixed a bug caused by the previous patch.
- Minor dialogue change.
- Fixed wait times in a transmission.
Level 5:
- Fixed a 'bug' caused by the previous patch.
Level 6:
- Fixed a 'bug' caused by the previous patch which made the mission nearly impossible to win.
Level 7:
- Changed terrain (minor)

RAR details:
Size: 103 MB
Gas.exe - 87.1 MB
Gas 1.scx - 841 KB
Gas 2.scx - 404 KB
Gas 3.scx - 530 KB
Gas 4.scx - 189 KB
Gas 5.scx - 370 KB
Gas 6.scx - 425 KB
Gas 7.scx - 191 KB
Gas 8.scx - 776 KB
Gas 9.scx - 14,583 KB
SkyStormer17
Resigned! Suspect in Medic's Missing Undergarments scandal
Resigned! Suspect in Medic's Missing Undergarments scandal

Post by SkyStormer17 »

Cool! :)
Church

Post by Church »

Thanks. Lemme know any thoughts you have on it, and report any bugs please.
Church

Post by Church »

i'm only six minutes late in my time zone

A Very Gassy Christmas

“No!” cried Jim Raynor. “No, please! Don’t you die on me!”

“We’re losing it!” shouted Kari, the ghost with no evident last name.

“No, we’re so close!” yelled Jim. “We can’t lose this now! We can’t!”

A snap and a pop were heard, and Jim’s PlayStation 500 was broken.

Kari looked up solemnly. “It’s dead, Jim.”

Jim dropped the controller and put his face in his hands. How could it have come to this? He was so close to beating his game... and his PS 500 had to go and break. Jim sighed and pulled himself together. With a sniff and a forced smile he turned to Kari. “I guess I should have seen it coming. Those PS 500 systems aren’t really well designed; they should have spent more time in development.” He looked wistfully out the window of the large spaceship. “If only I had a PS 501....”

Kari looked out at the stars as well. “How many do you think are out there? Stars, I mean.”

Jim shrugged. “I dunno.” He squinted and started muttering numbers under his breath for a moment, and then said, “I think about seventeen or sixteen.” He stood up and walked to the door. “I’m going to get a ragnasaur steak and mashed potato sandwich. Want one?”

“No thanks,” said Kari. As soon as the door had closed behind Jim she jumped up and rushed over to her computer. She pressed a few buttons on a keypad and a microphone popped up, and the screen viewer changed to show another member of Raynor’s Raiders.

The marine saluted to Kari. “Ma’am, yes, ma’am, reporting for duty, ma’am. How can I help you, ma’am?”

“Stop calling me ma’am, Billy. You don’t need to be so formal.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Kari glared at him. “Are you using stimpacks again? You know those are almost as bad as drugs.”

“No, ma’am, Kari, ma’am, I’m clean, ma’am. Clean as a whistle, Kari. Yes ma’am.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, ma’am, Kari, it’s Christmas, no stims at Christmas, no sirree. No ma’amee either.”

“What does that mean?”

“I don’t know, Kari.”

“Look, Billy,” she said, starting to get frustrated. “What’s the status on the parcel?”

“The which parcel?”

“It’s just ‘which parcel,’ Billy.”

“Yes, the which?”

“The... no, I mean, Jim’s parcel.”

“The Christmas Super Secret Jim’s Present Parcel?”

“That parcel.”

Billy looked to the left and hit some buttons. “Uhhhh, we’re passing by some planet right now.”

“The which – I mean, which planet?”

“It’s, uh, Korhal, ma’am.”

“Korhal? Billy, we’re light-years away from Korhal!”

“Uh, really?” Billy pressed some buttons. “I mean, uh, really, ma’am, I knew that! Yeah, for sure. We’re just, uh, we’re stoppin’ for gas.”

“You can’t get gas from Korhal. Korhal is the Dominion’s capital planet.”

“Oh, is it? I mean, it is. We were just leavin’.”

Kari sighed angrily. “Well, you’d better hurry up! Only two hours before present opening.” She closed the com-link.

Kari stood up, made her way over to the door, and left the room. Her footsteps brought her down the wall, where she entered the kitchen to find Jim still eating his sandwich. He noticed Kari come in and raised his glass. “Want some eggnog?”

Kari smiled despite her stress and sat down. “Excuse me for cracking a joke, but that sounds egg-squisite.”

--

Billy kicked the Dominion soldier out of the airlock and furrowed his eyebrows. “What an idiot. He thinks he can come on MY ship and steal MY Super Special Parcel. Well, he’s wrong.”

He closed the airlock and looked out the window and watched the soldier fall back down to the planet. If he had not been intoxicated by stimpacks at the time, he would have wondered why they only sent one man. He would not have been wondering long, however, as a fleet of fast wraiths flew toward him at top speed.

Billy blanched and ran to the cockpit, checking the fuel. There wasn’t enough for a hyperdrive boost, meaning he would have to stay and fight.

Billy banked the ship around and let loose a volley of Christmas rockets and a “yee-haw!” He watched as the rockets slammed into the Dominion ships and sent them flying with green and red explosions, but he stopped for a moment when a thought approached his mind.

Billy reached forward and tapped his microphone. “Hello? Can you pilots hear me? My name’s Billy, and uh, I was wonderin’, since it’s Christmas... maybe we could strike a deal?”

--

Kari leaned forward on the ladder and placed the paper star on the top of the Christmas tree. “Perfect!” she said, smiling down at Jim, who was holding the ladder.

Kari climbed down, glancing about the room at the decorations.

Jim grinned broadly and looked at the presents under the tree. “It looks like everything is ready for present opening!”

Suddenly there was a loud explosion. Jim turned to Kari. “That sounded like it was in the landing bay!”

The two of them rushed down the hall together and entered the landing bay. There was Billy’s ship, as well as several Dominion wraiths, crash landed right in the middle of the bay. The door of Billy’s ship opened, and he stumbled out, falling on his head. He jumped up when he saw Jim and Kari. “Ma’am, sir, I got the uh, parcel. All in one piece, ma’am.” He beamed, several holes in his mouth where teeth should have been.

--

Soon after under the Christmas tree, Billy opened his present from Kari. “Aw, man!” he said. “It’s just a brochure for stimpack rehab.” He sighed and threw the paper away. Some of the Dominion pilots nearby laughed at him together as they shared a drink.

It was Jim’s turn now, so he grabbed the Christmas Super Secret Jim’s Present Parcel and tore it open. “Oh, boy, oh, boy!” he said as he threw wrapping paper to the side. “I think I know what this is!”

He frowned. “This isn’t a PS 501,” he said.

“What?” asked Kari. “That’s not right...”

In the box was a shiny new Xbox 1080.

“But that doesn’t make sense! I ordered a PS 501! Unless...” Kari turned to Billy. “Billy!”

Jim threw the box across the room grumpily as Kari approached Billy. “Come on now,” she said, “where’s the PS 501?”

Billy smiled, taking the PlayStation 501 system from under a box and holding it under his arm as he ran from the room. “Merry Christmas!” he shouted back.
bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by bajadulce »

I like the humored nature of the campaign. :)
One big question I think is why I went the route of comedy. Well, the answer is simple. I'd been trying to make a serious campaign for ages but nothing had been working out. The Bob Levels caught my eye with its humorous attitude and I knew that was what I had to do
Agree. Funny things make ppl feel good. It definitely gives you a lot of leeway in terms of storyline, dialog, and whatever else you want to inject. Nothing has to make sense as it would in a serious and dramatic campaign.

Most ppl go overboard w/ the drama in "serious" campaigns and it ends up being chezzy. MIght as well start out chezzy from the get go. If your campaign digresses to dramatic cheezy, then it all fits the original theme perfectly anyways! :P
Church

Post by Church »

Heck yeah! I think dramatic, more 'realistic' campaigns can work out great, but Gas will always have a special place in my heart for its goofiness. Parodying those dramatic campaigns (including my own, of course) is a fun and mostly easy route to go. I don't think that the majority of the humour in Gas is over the top crazy, but it's a more relaxed comedy, which I think suits it well. I'm not trying to punch anybody in the face with the satire, of course.
If your campaign digresses to dramatic cheezy, then it all fits the original theme perfectly anyways!
I think that's sort of what happened to Gas 2, which, incidentally, is indefinitely on hold. I wouldn't say the Gas universe is over forever, though. Like Vill Ain always says, I'll be back.
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

I have completed reviewing this campaign as part of my quest to QA all campaigns ever made

The campaign could have been recommended as a laid back silly campaign to just relax and not take seriously but then mission 6 hits and it became impossible to issue a recommendation as it is, especially with all the poorly done mission briefings. This would also in effect make it so that Ashen's quest can't get a recommendation or even a review.

However, I noticed that there is no edit permission section in the readme and that allowed me to do something to rectify the situation: Apply quick fixes to the maps after reviewing the campaign.

Here are the patch notes:

~*Version 1.1*~
Levels
Level 1:
- Fixed typos in the mission briefing
- Fixed a text timing bug in Mission briefing
Level 2:
- Fixed a text timing bug in Mission briefing
Level 3:
- Fixed rescued prisoner firebat being invincible
Level 6:
- Removed queens and defilers from the mission
- Added Gravitic thrusters for player scouts
Level 7:
- Fixed typos in Mission briefing

Here is the download: https://mega.nz/folder/FB1VDYxA#BFRgc03blDo2H_v51atCtw

It is the bare minimum needed to make the campaign get a conditional recommendation but in doing so the path is opened for me to review Ashen's quest.

I also noticed the bonus mission is an unfinished mission that was supposed to go in between mission 5 and 6, I am curious as to why it was never completed... it probably would have helped the plot a lot.

Final result (of fixed version): Recommended only for those interested in playing something silly and laid back and willing to put up with low production quality. Also recommended for those who intend to play Ashen's quest later.

Score: 61% (score of fixed version of campaign)

Link to spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l_ink-CKwo92syCxJmivfh7zeMZu4U0p_q5Ra7HTF4U

embedded version of spreadsheet is below, keep in mind that it does not feature the cell-specific notes that can be accessed via black triangles on the top right corner.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... q5Ra7HTF4U

I'll be reviewing Ashen's quest shortly...
Church

Post by Church »

chris wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:26 pmIt is the bare minimum needed to make the campaign get a conditional recommendation but in doing so the path is opened for me to review Ashen's quest.
Such a relief we have an expert here to tell us what campaigns are and aren't worth playing!!!! Edit: Ignore my snark. All is well
chris wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:26 pmI also noticed the bonus mission is an unfinished mission that was supposed to go in between mission 5 and 6, I am curious as to why it was never completed... it probably would have helped the plot a lot.
Where on earth did you get that? I never released it to the public. I guess Pr0nogo put it up on Mega with his campaign listing? Your guess is correct: I had plans for an enhanced edition of Gas that added the level as a bonus. Despite what you think, the level was not gonna be good enough quality to help the story or the overall quality of the campaign. Much like the rest of the project, it's stuck in an era of my campaign making that just isn't really up to snuff.
Last edited by Church on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris

Post by chris »

Church wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:03 am Such a relief we have an expert here to tell us what campaigns are and aren't worth playing!!!!
Oh dear, I'm sad to see you took my review the wrong way. I don't claim to be an expert, indeed I might be the longest-lasting casual starcraft player still playing starcraft. Originally this spreadsheet was just for myself, I had no intention of making it a big thing and one reason I have yet to make a big thread for it before it is completed is because I don't want too draw too much attention to myself at the expense of the campaigns. The reason I made my spreadsheet public in the first place is because of the demand for a QA'd list of campaigns and the poor reputation that custom campaigns overall were getting. This was caused by too many people dumping Pr0nogo's archive and then getting disappointed by all the bad campaigns polluting it and concluding all the campaigns are bad. This has led to so many potentially good campaigns being completely ignored... or worse: they get played by Pr0nogo who proceeds to shit on everything, good or not, and in doing so also demotivate others from making new campaigns. Coincidentally, Pr0nogo's attitude towards the campaigns is why I began making the spreadsheet (not why I made it public).

I'm not trying to badmouth your campaigns. In fact, if it were not for you I would never have returned to starcraft after all these years. It was your archive, later taken over by Pr0nogo, that reinvigorated my interest back in October. Truth to be told, I am really happy to see you have returned. So far it has just been me, Andrea Rosa, and Eredalis around. It is a small spark of life in this community that had been reduced to nothing other than Razorclaw X who hasn't worked on starcraft in like 17 years, but it is not enough to revive it. With you here though, who knows? You've already done so much.
Church wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:03 am Where on earth did you get that? I never released it to the public. I guess Pr0nogo put it up on Mega with his campaign listing
Yes, and because of that it is probably all over the internet now.

Update: Ashen's quest has been reviewed. I posted my review on Pr0nogo's staredit thread. It has gotten a 79% score and a definite recommendation, good job! :)

update 2: Had to move the nomad saga and resonance to tier S. They are way too good to be reviewed so soon.

Update 3: Me and Church are cool now, all is good now :)
Last edited by chris on Mon May 11, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C@HeK
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by C@HeK »

Greetings Church! I don't know how I can write you private message, but I want to ask you some questions.
I'm translator and I translate custom campaigns from English to Russian.
Can you answer me?
I translate SC1 custom campaigns from English into Russian
My SEN profile - http://www.staredit.net/profile/26939/