StarCraft: Gas (StarCraft campaign)

Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: StarCraft: Gas (StarCraft campaign)

Post by Church »

noname wrote:I think in the future you should work on/with (only my oppinion, cause I like them a lot) large(er) maps, with large scale battles, heavy macro mode, and maps, what favores strategical play. (killing a heavily defended zerg base for minerals, or open an easier route to the quest)
A good expamle of this is a recent campaign: Empire Wars by Robotronic. Emphasize on thinkig/macro/strategy with hard-to-kill-computers is a really good way to prolong the time of play. And everybody knows that long and hard campaigns are cool. :)
Alright, thanks! I'll think about that while making the sequel to Gas :)
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

I'm playing it right now, I'll post a mini-review tomorrow if that's okay. :]
Church

Post by Church »

That's more than okay =D I look foreward to it!
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

Ok I'll try to do this like you guys usually review campaigns, though I may not be as thorough as some of the other members here >_>

MISSION 1

+ Funny and simple joke sets the mood for what's to come
+ Timing for the in-game dialogue is appropriate
+ Some good humour thrown in
+ Terraining looks good (the wall patterns seemed a bit random for an installation setting, but that's nitpicking)

- Some of the briefing text disappears too fast

Odd: mission objectives displayed as "don't press start, wait a bit" had me confused :S

Comment: mission plays itself as a cinematic but that's ok since it's for presentation of the campaign and it's handled well. A good start overall.

MISSION 2

+ Charlie owns ^_^ you did a good job with the modding here, I see you swapped the portrait to lurker and changed the color scheme? Looks unique, good job :)
+ Clear and straightforward objectives

- Again, some of the briefing text goes away before you can read it
- Terrain looks weird in places, too jagged

MISSION 3

- No briefing data whatsoever? That's bit awkward...

Odd: the door to raynor's cell is already open when you get there

Critical bug: don't know if this happened to anyone else, but i've tested it twice and it happened both times -- after rescuing Jimmy I go back to the elevator spot, so I can return to the upper part of the map, but i don't get teleported unless I have at least one unit standing on the receiving spot. Only then does the trigger activate and my units are teleported back. So if I didn't leave behind any of my units I can't use the elevator to get back thus I can't finish the mission. I guess the reason for this is that you copied the same trigger without changing the conditions, only the actions. You might want to check this.

Comment: I found this mission kind of lacking overall.

MISSION 4

+ Lol @ "random poles"! :lol:
+ Decent terraining

- Second paragraph of briefing text should linger just a tad longer for an easier read
- When you get to the holy grounds Ashen says you should look for other sane protoss but the mission objectives don't get updated (even though it's just for a small segment of the mission)
- The moment you arrive at the ally base there are zerglings just chilling with the neutral protoss units, which then turn on each other
- Some of the dialogue goes by a bit too fast (you can tell this is one of my pet peeves, lol)

Odd: I'm not sure I understand the purpose of those disruption fields; I guess you can use them to your advantage somehow?

Comment: a welcome change of scenery and characters. One of the nicer maps I'd say.

MISSION 5

+ Cool scene with adun ghost; one of the more memorable segments of the campaign. Using a hallucinated zealot to portray a ghost was a very elegant solution. If I were to nitpick I'd say you could mod the Phoenix hero portrait to make it more blurry/surreal/abstract (thus more befitting of a ghost) but that's not really necessary. Anyway, a nice concept that you handled well :)
+ Nice terrain and detail

- Again, no briefing at all is a bit disappointing
- Layout is confining and difficult to traverse; I feel that a slightly bigger map would breathe easier here
- The temple looks like it was added as an afterthought, as it's crammed into the very edge of the map

Comment: the Light Beacon takes a bit long to finish, but IMO it's much better than having a time counter; those are just plain horrible and artificial, lol. So your choice was more organic, I liked it. Change the building time, rename the structure, give it a different context and there you go. :)

MISSION 6

+ Lol @ briefing! Nice jab at the fake campaigners out there XD
+ Fast pace is a nice change after previous mission

- This mission kinda plays itself; you can bypass everything and still succeed. I guess it's meant as more of a cinematic (and a short one at that)?

MISSION 7

+ More humour
+ Layout works well

- Briefing text rushed straight past me

I didn't play the last 2 missions yet; I'll post the rest when I finish them ;)
Church

Post by Church »

Whoah! That's a nice big review! Thanks :)

Okay, where to begin...
MISSION 1
Odd: mission objectives displayed as "don't press start, wait a bit" had me confused :S
That was mainly meant as a joke =D If enough people complain, I'll take it out.
MISSION 2

+ Charlie owns ^_^ you did a good job with the modding here, I see you swapped the portrait to lurker and changed the color scheme? Looks unique, good job :)
That's right :) The portrait was done by Jasen of Samods, found here: http://saga.samods.org/scport/mzerg.html
- Terrain looks weird in places, too jagged
Yes, I personally dislike the terrain in this map. I want to go back and fix it sometime.
MISSION 3
- No briefing data whatsoever? That's bit awkward...
Ah, yes xD That's a bit odd, I'll fix that later. EDIT: Awgh, I'm such an idiot! I just checked to make a briefing, and guess what? There's already one made, but it was set to player 3! >> stupid stupid stupid... Will be fixed in time for next patch. O:
Critical bug: don't know if this happened to anyone else, but i've tested it twice and it happened both times -- after rescuing Jimmy I go back to the elevator spot, so I can return to the upper part of the map, but i don't get teleported unless I have at least one unit standing on the receiving spot. Only then does the trigger activate and my units are teleported back. So if I didn't leave behind any of my units I can't use the elevator to get back thus I can't finish the mission. I guess the reason for this is that you copied the same trigger without changing the conditions, only the actions. You might want to check this.
Thank you, I'll check this out right away.
Comment: I found this mission kind of lacking overall.
Lacking in what way? What would you add to it?
MISSION 4
- The moment you arrive at the ally base there are zerglings just chilling with the neutral protoss units, which then turn on each other
Ah, well that was meant to demonstrate that they've been fighting for a while, and the fight is still going when you get there. Dunno what you mean completely, when you rescue a structure, usually that structure is on the other side of the base. I dunno, I guess I never had that issue.
- Some of the dialogue goes by a bit too fast (you can tell this is one of my pet peeves, lol)
No, that's fine. I actually was quite worried about a lot of the text with this campaign, you've helped a lot =D
Odd: I'm not sure I understand the purpose of those disruption fields; I guess you can use them to your advantage somehow?
They don't really have a purpose xD If you get units to reveal all of them and then look at your minimap, it's just a smiley face.
MISSION 5
+ Cool scene with adun ghost; one of the more memorable segments of the campaign. Using a hallucinated zealot to portray a ghost was a very elegant solution. If I were to nitpick I'd say you could mod the Phoenix hero portrait to make it more blurry/surreal/abstract (thus more befitting of a ghost) but that's not really necessary. Anyway, a nice concept that you handled well :)
Thank you, that's one of my favourite scenes as well. As for the portrait, I'm sure I have something lying around that I could use ;D
- Layout is confining and difficult to traverse; I feel that a slightly bigger map would breathe easier here
I don't know, it's not like your trying to fight the zerg in this mission, it's a defence mission.
- The temple looks like it was added as an afterthought, as it's crammed into the very edge of the map
On the contrary, actually. It was a forethought. Originally, I had planned that every once in a while it would send of a shockwave and kill nearby Zerg, much like the Xel Naga Artifact in the StarCraft II mission, All In. But no, I cut it out. Also, you could return resources to the temple. How cool is that? I may add THAT back in ;D
Comment: the Light Beacon takes a bit long to finish, but IMO it's much better than having a time counter; those are just plain horrible and artificial, lol. So your choice was more organic, I liked it. Change the building time, rename the structure, give it a different context and there you go. :)
Thanks :) Do you think I should reduce the Light Beacon time a bit?

Also, there's some other stuff I'm thinking of adding to the mission. And other missions, of course. All in due time ;)
MISSION 6
+ Lol @ briefing! Nice jab at the fake campaigners out there XD
Har har. 8)
- This mission kinda plays itself; you can bypass everything and still succeed. I guess it's meant as more of a cinematic (and a short one at that)?
No, not a cinematic, but admittably too easy =P I really want to go back to this mission and make it better.

Thanks again for your review!

UPDATE

For those that look at my blog, you already know this, but Gas version 1.01 is out! Download on the first post, more info in the blog, you know the drill. Suit up, soldier!
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

Lacking in what way? What would you add to it?
I'm not sure... maybe have Vill Ain make an appearance during the mission. Y' know, have him pop out of nowhere to screw the heroes somehow -- "ITS A TRAP!", *evil laughter* sorta thing. Then he runs away leaving some grunts for you to deal with. That lower portion of the map where you placed the Siege Tanks looks like a good spot for doing this. Of course, this is just an example, you get the idea. :)

I don't know, it's not like your trying to fight the zerg in this mission, it's a defence mission.
Yeah but what if the player wants to be more aggressive, just for the heck of it? During the mission I found myself a bit idle and wanted to dish out some punishment y'know ;)
Do you think I should reduce the Light Beacon time a bit?
Nah, it's fine as it is. Gives more time to take that expansion and harass the zerg ;D

Oh and I'm still trying to finish mission 8; can you give me any tips? I've spent 2 and a half hours to defeat the zerg and then the terran raped me :sweat:
Church

Post by Church »

I'm not sure... maybe have Vill Ain make an appearance during the mission. Y' know, have him pop out of nowhere to screw the heroes somehow -- "ITS A TRAP!", *evil laughter* sorta thing. Then he runs away leaving some grunts for you to deal with. That lower portion of the map where you placed the Siege Tanks looks like a good spot for doing this. Of course, this is just an example, you get the idea. :)
I'll think on this. Thanks :)
Yeah but what if the player wants to be more aggressive, just for the heck of it? During the mission I found myself a bit idle and wanted to dish out some punishment y'know ;)
Understandable. Maybe in a later patch I'll make it bigger :)
Oh and I'm still trying to finish mission 8; can you give me any tips? I've spent 2 and a half hours to defeat the zerg and then the terran raped me :sweat:
Ahahaha... yes. Tbh, I haven't beat that mission without cheats. I know, sounds dumb. But during my testing phases I used cheats to hurry hurry through a mission to make sure everything works. On the other hand, on this mission, I never got around to testing without cheats. ^^ I promise to make it easier in the next patch. For now, just type power overwhelming once or twice :U
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

How do I get past those first 2 sets of rooms in the beginning of the third mission? D:
Church

Post by Church »

Ah, yes, that's a difficult one. My stragety is when Charlie's health gets low, BURROW IMMEDIATLY. Same with Kari, cloak her and take out the last of the marines. Then head into the room the Marines charged out of, and there are some rescuable units for you. Proceed with the mission. Hope this helps ;)
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

Or just murder everyone with Karin alone ;) Since there are no detector units or traps around, no one can see through her cloaking. That's what I did for those rooms :P
Church

Post by Church »

...Or that. XD Yes, kinda easy I must say.

I just didn't do that in my testing, didn't expect anyone to. lol
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Jim_Raynor wrote:Ah, yes, that's a difficult one. My stragety is when Charlie's health gets low, BURROW IMMEDIATLY. Same with Kari, cloak her and take out the last of the marines. Then head into the room the Marines charged out of, and there are some rescuable units for you. Proceed with the mission. Hope this helps ;)
No, I mean, how do I get past it after killing the enemies? I killed them all but then I had no clue had to advance to the next area.
Church

Post by Church »

Oh, remember in the intro cutscene with Vill Ain? Go into the elevator he went in.
Church

StarCraft Gas Update Log 2

Post by Church »

Gas version 1.02 is complete! Grab it over at: http://www.filefront.com/17758415/Gas-102.rar/ (LINK FIXED)

Patch Details:
Version 1.02
Global Changes:
- Made the readme more proffesional. 'Cause it's funny.
Levels
Level 3:
- Fixed the briefing to apply to player 2 instead of player 3. Yes, I'm an idiot.
- Fixed the vitory trigger, so instead of 'Bring 1 Charlie, Bring 1 Jim Raynor, Bring 1 Jim Raynor,"
one of the Jim Raynors is Kari. Yes, I'm an idiot.
Level 4:
- Changed the time of one of the briefing texts.
- Added some structures so that you rescue a structure before the warriors.
Level 7:
- Fixed the wait times in the briefing.
Level 8:
- Severely reduced difficulty.

RAR details:
Size: 105, 758 KB
Gas.exe
Gas 1.scx - 842 KB
Gas 2.scx - 405 KB
Gas 3.scx - 531 KB
Gas 4.scx - 189 KB
Gas 5.scx - 371 KB
Gas 6.scx - 425 KB
Gas 7.scx - 192 KB
Gas 8.scx - 777 KB
Gas 9.scx - 14, 583 KB
Readme.txt - 5 KB
Patch History.txt - 3 KB

OFFICIAL SITE: http://scgas.webs.com/
Church

Post by Church »

Gas version 1.03 is complete! Grab it over at: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5v4k5d

Patch Details:
~*Version 1.03*~
Global Changes:
- Added a custom portrait for the Adun ghost, to seem more 'ghostlike'.
- Improved Patch History layout.
- Minor change to Kari's sound set so she doesn't say "Lieutenant Kerrigan reporting."
Levels
Level 2:
- Minor size increase on one of the locations.
Level 4:
- Added some Zerg in the earlier part of the level.
- Improved the Zerg base.
Level 5:
- Changed a trigger so Ashen will be white instead of yellow. RASCISM
- Added some triggers for periodic Zerg assaults.
Level 6:
- Increased difficulty.
- Improved unit rescuing.
- Improved the 'Final Battle' battleground.
Level 7:
- Changed terrain (minor).
- Added more 'Endgame' units.
Level 8:
- Changed terrain (minor).

RAR details:
Size: 103 MB
Gas.exe - 87.1 MB
Gas 1.scx - 841 KB
Gas 2.scx - 405 KB
Gas 3.scx - 531 KB
Gas 4.scx - 190 KB