[New Campaign] StarCraft I: Echoes of the Swarm (new name)

Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: [New Campaign] StarCraft: The Beginning

Post by Thalraxal »

Good to hear!  I'll admit, SC2's finalized release date killed most of my initiative to work on my own SC1 projects, so it's nice to see someone's sticking with it till they're done.

I'll be sure to check it out when you're finished!
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

I've a question for anyone who want to answer it. I think it is quite obvious, but it's just I want to make sure. In my last mission, I want to make some kind of 'silent timer'. That's it, without the 'Countdown Timer' trigger action. I'm quite sure it is done with the trigger action 'Modify score for Player _ : Add X Custom', but I have a doubt about it. Here's my question: How much time does it last to add the custom score? I'm sure it does last 1 second (without hypertriggers) but I just want to make sure of it so I don't make any mistake (e.g. if X = 1, it'd grow by 1 point every second --> 1st second = 1, 2nd second = 2... and so on.)
Thalraxal wrote: Good to hear!  I'll admit, SC2's finalized release date killed most of my initiative to work on my own SC1 projects, so it's nice to see someone's sticking with it till they're done.

I'll be sure to check it out when you're finished!
Good to hear. ;) Yes, I intend to finish this campaign as last homage to SC1 before I enter into the world of SC2 modding and mapping. Who knows, I may return some day to SC1. But that would depend on the success of this campaign as well as on my own motivation to make more.

By the way, I should note I have had to remake missions 8 and 10, in order to make the plot more interesting and to allow it to include some Zerg vs Zerg missions (this way you will have all three: ZvT, ZvP and ZvZ in the campaign) ;)

Also, I will most probably add another character, this time for the Terrans, for the Confederacy specifically. ;)

I've also fixed the bug in mission 1 and the grammar/spelling mistakes in mission 2. Unfortunately, I won't release them until I've the entire campaign finished, in order to revise them or modify them (if necessary) as I see fit to have a coherent and continual storyline. :)

EDIT: Check out the first post in this thread to find out more information about the campaign's current status. Also, two new characters have been added: Grothesk (Zerg) and Arnold Hawthorne (Terran). New portraits for Zasz and Venezoth too.

Cheers!

~omega20
Last edited by omega20 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Cool!

The method you're thinking of using works by taking advantage of delay between when a trigger fires, and before it can fire again.  Triggers take two seconds before they can fire again, so if the trigger added 1 point, each point would be worth 2 seconds.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Thalraxal wrote: Cool!

The method you're thinking of using works by taking advantage of delay between when a trigger fires, and before it can fire again.  Triggers take two seconds before they can fire again, so if the trigger added 1 point, each point would be worth 2 seconds.
So, then if I want it to act as an actual timer the trigger should add 2 points instead 1, so, if each 2 points are worth 2 seconds, it'd be basically worth 1 second... interesting, many thanks sir! ;)
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

omega20 wrote:
Thalraxal wrote: Cool!

So, then if I want it to act as an actual timer the trigger should add 2 points instead 1, so, if each 2 points are worth 2 seconds, it'd be basically worth 1 second... interesting, many thanks sir! ;)
Yep!  But then you'll miss out on some not particularly complicated math.

Happy to help!
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

You can use death counts for your timer if you have hyper triggers.  With hypers, about 12 deaths will take 1 second, so you could just do it that way.
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
1N73RC3P70R
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by 1N73RC3P70R »

though its a bit late for SC 1 campaign it looks pretty good!
F.E.A.R. ME!!!!! THIS IS THE LAST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!
omega20

Post by omega20 »

1N73RC3P70R wrote: though its a bit late for SC 1 campaign it looks pretty good!
Thank you. ;)

A little update for today. I'd like to note that Missions 1, 2, 3, 9, 10 as well as the Bonus map are 100% completed (yet I still need to test some of them). That'd be 6 missions out of a total of 11. Progress is going quicker than expected. If possible, I'll attempt to have a beta ready for the first days of August, though it'll be most probably released by the end of it since I'm going out of home the 2th for around 3 weeks and I'll be unable to do any progress until then. :(

Cheers!

~omega20
noname

Post by noname »

1N73RC3P70R wrote: though its a bit late for SC 1 campaign it looks pretty good!
xc
I think u should just be quite.
omega20

Re: [New Campaign] StarCraft I: Echoes of the Swarm

Post by omega20 »

I'm proud to announce that the campaign is officially finished. It will take some time before I have it available for download, as I must fix some bugs and check for spelling/grammar errors. Otherwise, you can expect a download link available within the next few days, probably tomorrow. ;)

EDIT: Also, I decided to change the name of the campaign from StarCraft: The Beginning to StarCraft I: Echoes of the Swarm, as I thinks it fits better with the plot (as well as 'The Beginning' would be technically wrong, since this campaign does not include any missions for the pre-vanilla Zerg invasion of Chau Sara, which is where the Zerg invasion truly begun)
Last edited by omega20 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noname

Re: [New Campaign] StarCraft I: Echoes of the Swarm (new name)

Post by noname »

Great news!
omega20

Re: [New Campaign] v.1.0 RELEASED!

Post by omega20 »

Campaign is officially released. You can download it from here:

DOWNLOAD LINK AVAILABLE ON FIRST POST

I hope whoever plays it actually enjoys it. ;) Since it's a Zerg campaign, I think I'll have to wait at least until the release of Hearts of the Swarm to actually remake it for SCII. Well... quite a long time to get used to the new Galaxy Editor, I think. :P

EDIT: Download link(s) will be made available at the first post on this thread from now on.
Last edited by omega20 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

omega20 wrote: I hope whoever plays it actually enjoys it. ;) Since it's a Zerg campaign, I think I'll have to wait at least until the release of Hearts of the Swarm to actually remake it for SCII. Well... quite a long time to get used to the new Galaxy Editor, I think. :P
Not quite, all the information is readily available to make any Zerg or Protoss oriented maps.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Lavarinth wrote:
omega20 wrote: I hope whoever plays it actually enjoys it. ;) Since it's a Zerg campaign, I think I'll have to wait at least until the release of Hearts of the Swarm to actually remake it for SCII. Well... quite a long time to get used to the new Galaxy Editor, I think. :P
Not quite, all the information is readily available to make any Zerg or Protoss oriented maps.
Good to hear! But still, I'd need to get used to the editor before going any further... I'd not like to announce anything if I am not actually able to do it (remember my first announced SC campaigns? That's what I mean). Seeing the new game mechanics, and the new variety of missions available, I'll have plenty of freedom to make it a more realistic way than just a bunch of B&D missions. Of course, I'd have to first get the game and actually play the campaign. Ah, so much work to do... how reassuring it is to know that I've plenty of time to do it, with no pressure from the SC II release date. :)
omega20

Re: [New Campaign] StarCraft I: Echoes of the Swarm (new name)

Post by omega20 »

I detected a major bug in mission 7, where it lacked any victory triggers. It is fixed now, download the new version of the map from this post. I'll also update the link on the first post to include the fixed version of the map.

By the way, if anyone has any doubt, suggestion or opinion about the campaign and want to post it, please feel free to do so. However, since I'm going on vacation on the 2 I'll most surely not respond to any of your comments until I come back.
Last edited by omega20 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.