The Infestation of Durstrahn: StarCraft Campaign

chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Re: The Infestation of Durstrahn: StarCraft Campaign

Post by chris »

nice, very nice. I've bookmarked a lot of campaigns that I plan to play on my old computer in the summer, this includes your campaign, the WOS one for warcraft III and anything else since september last year.
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

Lol, your sig made me laugh.

And being bookmarked by anyone is good. O.o

Thanks for the interest!
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Updaet nubcaeks.

I've gotten myself a competent voice actor! All I need to do now is figure out how to add the voice files to my mod in place of existing ones.... CWAD editor (liek on StarDraft)?

(that's a help request, in case you didn't notice)
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

CWADs and StarDraft are incompatible with WinXP and I seem to recall them having issues with .wav files.  Use WinMPQ and MPQDraft (both avaliable on CC, check under Programs!) instead.

WinMPQ will allow you to create .mpq files, and MPQDraft can complile them into SEMPQs (Self-Executing MPQs).

To replace the sounds, all you need to do is save your .wav with the right name and into the right directory (just use MPQView or WinMPQ and look inside StarDat.mpq or Broodat.mpq to find out what they are) when you load it into your MPQ and there ya go!

It's been a while since I poked around in that part of an MPQ, but they're generally named something like 'sound/unit/terran/'unit name'.  Although there are some weird ones to watch for.  Witnesses are Observers, Trilobytes are Reavers, Avengers are Scourges and Pheonixes are Wraiths.  Sound entries for Heroes generally start with a U.  From there it's pretty straightforward.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Vista = no WinMPQ.

EDIT: Also, BugGuys are Infested Terrans.
Last edited by Pr0nogo on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

WinMPQ doesn't work on Vista?  Dang.  That sucks.

Using the same directories you find in the MPQ, you can also just drop them directly into your StarCraft folder.  Be warned though, doing that will override everything, so if you're running a mod, your sounds will override the ones in the mod.  Whenever you release, someone will probably be nice enough to compile them into a SEMPQ for you.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

I'll try to be specific.

You're saying that I can "drop" sound files into my StarCraft directory (C:\Program Files\StarCraft) as long as they have the filename corresponding to the units' voices, and the changes will take effect in-game?

Ex.
I get a sound file from my voice actor.
I format the file as a .wav file and rename it "BugGuypss01" or whatever the corresponding filename is.
I "drop" it into my StarCraft directory.

How the hell will that make any changes? I don't see it doing anything other than moving the file.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Put in the c:\Program Files\StarCraft\sound\zerg\BugGuy\ and it'll override the sound files in the MPQ (StarDat and BrooDat, as well as any SEMPQs you mgiht be running).  It's the old fashioned way of doing things.  It still works, it's just not convenient as a SEMPQ.  Also works for portraits!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

This is indeed the old method of running custom content and still works perfectly.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

O I C

But I don't have a sounds folder in my StarCraft directory. I had them on my old computer (downloaded it for mapmaking, but I use SCMDraft 2.0 so I don't need them). Anyone know where I could get the StarCraft sound files?
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Try the old StarCraft Sound Utility.  It'll automatically extract all the sound files for you, create a Sound folder and drop them all into the correct directories.

It can be found on here on Battle.net's Files section.
bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by bajadulce »

Good ole directory emulation! :)

WimMPQ should work fine with Vista.  Sounds as tho you just need some VBasic runtime files etc.  Also this is an opportunity to note that poiuy has also released an mpq archiver called pyMPQ. :)  You can try that too.

Starcraft doesn't come with a sound directory.  You just need to create one.  This is what the sound utility from Blizzard does.  Why did they distribute that anyways?  anways if your sounds aren't working, you've probably got a folder named incorrectly.  This is really easy to mess up and prob is the most common mistake with archiving Starcraft files.  Double check your folder names.

Gluck with your sounds, campaign, and mpq archiving. 
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Well, after quite literally two months, I've returned, beleaguered, victorious, and THOROUGHLY PISSED OFF.

(tl;dr on the following, my projects WILL BE COMPLETED1!!1!11!)

My campaigns (Infestation of Durstrahn, The Sentient Zergling, Adun's Living Will) have been and still are neglected and as such delayed. No timedate is available on when I will start working on them again, mainly because my computer needs to go to Texas for repairs @ 1 MicroSoft Way (I'm using my crap-ass Apple computer to post).

Adun's Living Will WAS for a contest, but seeing as how I have either terribly missed the deadline or am about to terribly miss the deadline and all I've finished is a single mission, obviously I'm not going to be submitting it. HOWEVER... It was such a great concept that I've decided I'll finish it. Without a deadline, it'll probably be better anyways, although I never did find out what that date was...

Anyways, here's how things will pull through.

As soon as I get my computer back, I'm going to start working on the Infestation of Durstrahn (and damn am I glad I backed up my StarCraft directory onto my iPod). After IOD is completed, The Sentient Zergling is next. Finally, the last-conceived project I had, Adun's Living Will will be completed and posted somewhere random online.

Thank you, one and all, for reading! I hope I didn't just make a complete and utter fool of myself.

Good luck, have fun, and above all... PROTECT THAT RESONATOR!
Bruce
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Bruce »

By chance does anymore has a copy of these maps?