New Campaign: The Edgewater Rebellion (two player cooperative)

brett.the.james
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

New Campaign: The Edgewater Rebellion (two player cooperative)

Post by brett.the.james »

Hi,

I've just put up the start of my first campaign, The Edgewater Rebellion. It's a two-player cooperative campaign that I had developed for myself and a friend. We never liked playing against each other, so we always took on the computer. Unfortunately, we got to the point where we could beat six computer opponents on the two of us. We were looking for more creative challenges, not just having more firepower thrown at us. These levels are tough (at least we thought so, we'd have to play them several times to win.)

Anyway, I'm hoping at some point to submit this to the site, so I'd love for any and all to give it a try and let me know what they think.

The files are here:
http://www.brettisangry.com/starcraft/

Thanks,
Brett the James
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: New Campaign: The Edgewater Rebellion (two player cooperative)

Post by Meta »

Awesome, I'm definitely trying this one. :D
brett.the.james

So I believe I've now fixed the download problem that someone asked about, you should be able to just click on either the link or the picture and it should download. Let me know if anyone else has problems with that.

Also, I'll note this on the web page, but these campaigns should be started in Broodwar mode, not just regular Starcraft.

Thanks,
Brett the James
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Cool!  There's always been a lack of multiplayer campaigns around here.  I'll have to check 'em out sometime!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

So whose playing this with me?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Marine »

I will most likely give this a try. :D
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
noname
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by noname »

I will try it out! Ty very much! :)
brett.the.james

I was just curious: I've seen forty+ downloads of the first episode of the campaign, but gotten no feedback out here. Has anyone had a chance to try it?

Thanks,
Brett
brett.the.james

Hrm.... I can understand that if you set out to play this two-player game alone and looked at the whole map first in StarEdit why you wouldn't enjoy it. I wouldn't either.

You might as well just dissect a horse instead of taking it for a ride....

I don't actually mind criticism. But you probably should refrain from giving it if you don't actually play the level.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

He did play it. He played it by himself, not as coop. His entire second paragraph is about playing it.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
CoopPlayer
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by CoopPlayer »

Brett,

I played these two scenarios the other night with a friend.

The first was quick and enjoyable. 

We were able to finish it on our second try.  The first try we didn't find the rescueable stuff and the goal soon enough.  On our second try we brought both heroes to the beacon with only seconds remaining, but then the fleet arrived and we got the failure message.  Also, what was the purpose of the rescueable units that spawn in and die almost immediately?

The second was more challenging, longer and, for me, more enjoyable.

On our first try we were surprised and defeated by a sizable zerg fleet.  On our second try we were smarter, but were overrun when a double strength protoss fleet spawned in.  I was terran and primarily mining and ignoring defense, this may have been our mistake.
brett.the.james

By the rescuable unit that die immediately, I'm thinking you mean the stuff in the center island, when both forces come together? You can rescue them, but it's tricky. Either way, they give you a few minutes before dealing with the very nasty gladiators in the middle (who otherwise will do major damage before you even notice them, because they have very long range.) So I guess it's kind of like coming into a battle in progress and that lets you get your bearings before having you jump right in. Most of the planes at the bottom of the island should be rescuable, though.

The second mission is definitely a trench war. When me and my buddy had played against the computer before, we noticed that, even when it's two against six--the worst odds SC will allow--we could win simply by entrenching and waiting for the computer's forces to run out of resources. Offense burns more than defense. It's for that reason the map keeps changing the goals on you, re-enforcing the enemy and giving you little side missions. With that map, its certainly no crime to save the game when you feel you've made progress rather than go back to the start. But, yes, it requires a balance of defense and mining and it's usually a photo finish at the end.  I can drop a few hints, if you like, which would really just me discussing how we have managed to win in the past.

I'm so glad you enjoyed them. I'd love to get the rest of the campaign done, at least before SC2 hits the shelves. My playing partner has a lot of distractions right now, though, and I've got a busy couple months myself. I also have a couple of maps off this board that I want to give a try first :)
frostyflakes
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by frostyflakes »

Anyone want to play this campaign with me?
I make maps and I'm pretty good at it. If you want me to make you want just ask me I'll be glad to make you one. My Battle.net username is frostyflakes.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Krazy wrote: Hey Brett,

Thanks for sharing this.  Unfortunately, it's not really my cup of tea.  I opened in in StarEdit and looked at it and thought it looked a bit slow, but sitll decided to give it a try. 

I tried in single player because I wanted to see what it was like first.  What I saw was a crowded base and 10k min and gas (or somesuch) and an objective to take a platform with wraiths that can't cloak, a hero that can't kill a bunker or goliath...  it seemed like the only real strategy would be to mass the platform with generic wraiths with maybe some drop, which would turn it into a very slow massing game.  The briefing had a bug (it cuts off the end mission objectives), there was no color, and I didn't understand who the characters were or why I was supposed to care about them.  These things didn't matter as much to me, but if you're looking for reasons why your map might not get responses after the d/l, then you have to understand this feels like a map from 1998, not 2006.  Now, that's not a terrible thing (since adding color, etc.) is pretty easy, but on top of the map concept feeling a bit dull, it made me not want to finish the first mission or download the second, sorry. 

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, I know that every mapper's hope when posting a thread like this is to get 20 responses saying, "Wow, thanks for sharing, that map was really fun!" and then to see it hosted on b.net for the next two weeks.  But I figure that, if you want to make your map more accessible, the only way to help you is to tell you what I really think.  And what I really think is: it needs some work, both in concept and execution.  Sorry!

Au contraire, I think concept and execution were good. When I started it, I was happy to help Gui Montag (laughed at his 'anagrammed' name haha!) and Butch get away from the evil senate leader. :D

The only thing to nag about was the protoss voice. It had no protoss effects! :P
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

I MUST check this out... my brother and I will definitely play this over LAN