Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Post by RazorclawX »

News for 6/14/2020

Wanderers of Sorceria 4th Edition updated with the following changes:

* New Models: Shadow Ballista, High Elf Ballista, Jin Catapult, Marrow Knight.
* Fixed Models: Kurumi (Schoolgirl) wears white underwear.
* Models Changed For Reforged: Second pass at model scaling fixes.
* Reforged Models: Shared birth models for custom Undead, Night Elves, and Naga buildings. High Elf Ballista, Jin Dragoon.

* General: Fixed tooltip for Summon Broodlings. Fixed tooltip for Rain of Arrows. Troll Shamen and Warlocks require Shaman Adept Training to learn their spells. Flame Wave description is more neutral.
* Book 1, Chapter 1: Main cutscenes are no longer able to be sequence broken so you can no longer skip picking up Heroes.
* Book 1, Chapter 2: Spiderlings are no longer able to construct a Necropolis on this map.
* Book 1, Chapter 3: The possible loot drop of a Shadow Orb replaced with an Orb of Darkness for consistency's sake.
* Book 1, Chapter 4: Staff of Teleportation is no longer sold on the Goblin Merchant. Bandit Lord drops a Spiked Collar instead of a Crystal Ball.
* Book 1, Chapter 7: Fixed Glowing Magic Tiles so they require additional steps to trigger: the Tile in the Battleship area requires hitting the Lever for the bridge next to it; the Switch puzzle requires hitting all the switches in addition to the Tile; the Spiral Trap room also requires destroying all three generators. The teleport trap remains unchanged.
* Book 2, General: Nerubian Royal Ziggurats no longer have Dark Mutation (they are on the Soul Spire). Changed the Hotkey for Blade Barrier. Added missing hotkey for Nerubian Guardian. Added missing tooltip to Pig Farm.
* Book 2, Chapter 2: Scaldar no longer refers to the removed Crypt building.
* Book 2, Chapter 3: Replaced several of the Circles of Power with an unselectable ground effect.
* Book 2, Chapter 5: Witch Doctor Adept Training is no longer available since there are no Witch Doctors.
* Book 2, Chapter 6: The quest objectives to defeat the final boss should be consistent between watching the cutscene and skipping it. Corpse generation by the Tower Defenders no longer allows stuctures, flyers, or mechanical units to generate a corpse. Crystal Ball and Staff of Teleportation are disabled on this map.
* Book 2, Chapter 7: Tiny Great Hall is no longer available on the Goods Exchange. Disabled Burrow Charge for Scaldar during cutscenes.
* Book 2, Fight Dragon: The dragons can only be fought in sequence. Crystal Ball and Staff of Teleportation are disabled on this map. Crystal Ball and Staff of Teleportation added to the Goblin Merchant.
* Book 3, General: Kurumi's class names should be consistent with the rest of the series. Added more checks to ensure Ziel appears in Human form in cutscenes.
* Book 3, Introduction: Fixed an issue where the map would not load in War3 version 1.26 (the map size was too large for this patch).
* Book 3, Chapter 1: Scaldar starts with maximum mana even after the Murloc cutscene.
* Book 3, Chapter 2: Crossbow units are named more appropriately and use the correct model.
* Book 3, Chapter 3: Sazabi starts with maximum HP and Mana.
* Book 3, Chapter 6: Infernus Scorpions and Infernus Elite Guards are now properly tagged as Summoned units.
* Book 3, Chapter 7: Call to Arms is disabled since the Peasants can't arm themselves.
* Book 3, Epilogue: Summoned units, including those raised from corpses, should resume laning if there are no targets nearby.
* Book 4, Chapter 1, 2, 3: Undead, Murloc, and Naga tech trees are no longer available by Charming workers.
* Book 4, Chapter 7: Coral Beds are properly removed if the Vektra Knights aren't recruited. Fixed Zava's name in the Quest Description. Eclipse Cannon's Eclipse Blast mana cost and cooldown reduced to a more appropriate level for the amount of time you have to wait for it.
* Book 5, General: Missions where you choose your army will now create a duplicate Hero for the computer's use to use as they see fit on the level instead of using your own Hero directly. This may also have other consequences (such as the other Heroes not gaining levels-- but note that Six automatically is leveled up if you haven't used him until forced to in Chapter 8), but the main goal is to prevent the AI from disposing of your Heroes' inventories.
* Book 5, Chapter 8: Holy Shock is correctly disabled as it should be with the rest of Hikaru's class abilities in Part 3. The countdown timer pauses upon any Defeat condition in Part 4.
* Book 5, Dragon Slayer Arena: The bosses can only be fought in sequence. Crystal Ball and Staff of Teleportation are disabled on this map. Crystal Ball and Staff of Teleportation added to the Goblin Merchant.
* X2: Reforged concrete walls graphics changed to be more comprehensible (probably not final).

Currently nearly all Satyr building models and some units are still in SD due to issues in consistently making all the buildings HD.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Something I'm working on. It's obviously not done yet (need to replace the weapon and board)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

So I finally decided to do something about the woefully outdated model for Lord Braddle.

Based on the Reforged model, which can be converted to SD compatibility (also after porting the skins and baking them together) you can actually run with a low-resolution skin for SD and the normal high resolution skin for HD, both in blp format, with one using the HDmod for use in Reforged. This actually weighs the entire model/skin package much smaller than just straight using a modified Reforged model, which are ludicrously huge.

Compare:

Braddle in SD mode with two skins = 1.33 MB
Braddle in Reforged mode with 1 skin = 5.7 MB (+ his existing SD model/skin combo)

I think, suffice to say, when possible when using modified Reforged models I should use the first method whenever possible.

Similarly so, with Lady Veraft, I'd been draging my feet on what model to base her on (she's supposed to be a winged draconian), so I ultimately fell back on the dragonman WoW model used to make Cinder and Zule's current models. Honestly, this works out in the sense that Cinder's construct body is supposed to be modeled in the image of a Reptilon made out of magma (since Cinder himself is a disembodied fire spirit), so at least the relationship between the two races is maintained there. The problem more comes with Zule, who isn't supposed to be related to the Reptilons, but is also a winged draconian (the only major difference is Zule sports hair while the Reptilons are hairless). I'm just going to have to chalk this up to my own lack of imagination and lack of foresight.
-- Razorclaw X
verb8im
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by verb8im »

I dont know if this has always been the case, but I noticed in book 2, on the chapter where you have to capture Arcadia's generals to complete the Seal, Kanna's command aura doesnt provide additional damage. I dont know if it was always like that, or just on this mission
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Seems like it's been there for a while. It's because I changed the base spell ID for Command Aura and that map still had the old version on it somehow.
-- Razorclaw X
TheNewHorde
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by TheNewHorde »

Hello RazorclawX. How do I play wanderers of sorceria now? I'm very frustrated that I can't figure out how to play your campaign after the update and I see you're still updating.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I kept copies of old War3 installations.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

News for 10/1/2020

Wanderers of Sorceria 4th Edition updated with the following changes:

Graphics:
* New Models: Hikaru (Flame Mage), Hikaru (Death Knight), Hikaru (Vindicator), Hikaru (Panda), Hikaru (Jester), Shizuka (Lobster), Shizuka (Holiday), Shizuka (Black Mageweave), Kurumi (Showgirl), Kurumi (Holiday), Kurumi (Jester), Kurumi (Witch), Lord Braddle, Lady Veraft, Female Satyr Trickster (ported Reforged Satyr Shadowdancer), Nerubian Necromancer (ported Reforged Seer), Nerubian Frost Seer (ported Refored Webspinner), female Necromancer, Eredar Warlock (Green, SC2 HD), Demoness (Green, SC2 HD), Generic Girl (Black Mageweave). Morkoth Brute, Jin Advisor Hero and Dragoon Hero no longer just Reforged models.
* Fixed Models: Fixed normals for the loading screens of Books 1, 3, 5, and 6. Regular Shizuka and Mizuki models optimization (fixed faces and normals, new hakama pants, attack ribbons), Scaldar Crypt Lord file optimization, Corrupted Tree of Life, Corrupted Ancient of War. Fixed skirt being too low on Shizuka (Sugar Plum Fairy). Fixed normals and lengthened skirt on Shizuka (Pink Lolita). Added animation for Cold Wraith skirt. Added more Team Color to Zande Witch. Fixed normals on Giant Moth.
* Reforged Models: Lord Kosseimaru, Demon Wings parts, Lobster suit parts, Corrupted Ancient of Lore, Corrupted Ancient of Wind, Jin Knight.

General:
* Book 1, 2 General: Changed the graphic of Hikaru's Vindicator class so it isn't the same as his regular appearance.
* Book 1, Chapter 2: Mammonoth and his demon flunkies are now Fel green; the Doom guards are now Demonesses with slightly worse stats than Doom guards.
* Book 2, Chapter 7: Fixed a bug where Kanna's Command Aura was overwritten by an older version of the spell based on War Drums.
* Book 5, Secret Level 1: Replaced the caster Maid Ninjas with Black Magewave elves for variety's sake.
* Book 6, General: Changes to some auxillary models: replaced Shizuka (Fairy), Kurumi (Witch) and Kurumi (Showgirl) with HotS models. Replaced Shizuka (Black Cat) with old style Gothic Lolita model, added old style Sweet Lolita model in new open spot left by moving the HotS model. Replaced Shizu (Qipao) with Shizu (Black Mageweave). Replaced Hikaru (Blademaster) with Hikaru (Vindicator). Renamed Hikaru (Death Knight) to (Necro-Knight).
-- Razorclaw X
fosztogato
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by fosztogato »

TheNewHorde wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:48 am Hello RazorclawX. How do I play wanderers of sorceria now? I'm very frustrated that I can't figure out how to play your campaign after the update and I see you're still updating.
Maybe this can help you. https://respawnfirst.com/install-and-pa ... arcraft-3/ I'm not checket it yet, but in therory it works. If dosn't I can make an image from my orginal wc3 cd (if i find a CD drive :D) and upload it.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I suppose this is my message that says "I'm not dead".

Truth is I've been playing a lot of WoW, HotS and Soul Calibur VI for the past few months so I haven't spent much time doing much of anything with War3.

The subject matter of what I want to do with X3 keeps changing according to whatever insane things I'm thinking about at the time. Right now the story is leaning in the direction of Mizuki just having a mid-life crisis because she can't do nearly the same things she can do when she was younger now that she's a responsible adult mother (who basically screwed up when she was raising Shizuka, but you can't blame her for that. Anyone could have screwed that up when you're forced to be the Mom while you're still a kid). It's not that drastically different from what I wanted to do, just that the focus may have shifted a little.

I spent hours recreating WoS characters in Soul Calibur VI; I might actually post them some day (since I got the PC version there's a mod floating around that makes it easy to share them if so desired between other PC users). Most were pretty easy since they're all basic/mostly traditional designs. Then I made alternate versions, and some of them are very lewd (you're very likely not going to see those).

I dug up the 'original' Reign of Chaos versions of the first three Books. They're actually still on the web site here somewhere, but they are VERY dated (turns out the last time I touched them, the ONLY custom model I was really using was for Shizuka while everyone else was just a skin replacement). Most of the gameplay is actually the same, but you can tell where a lot of the differences are (especially since each of the Books only had around ten maps apiece-- only Book 2 didn't have any major map additions like the other two did when they were converted for TFT). Even crazier was Hikaru and Shizuka were still using their old Vantage Master-style icons.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Haha, whoops. Turns out those versions of WoS were made with a 'custom' editor. Fortunately I kept that in my archives (it was called "Trigger Editor Blink") and I mostly used it for Apply Timed Life and Set Max Units Allowed so it was fairly easy to port them out (TFT comes with both of those stock). The only other major things to get them in working order is to re-set everyone's Abilities (they were done with a method that no longer works) and properly import all the unit models (although... some like Kasumi REALLY sucked back in 2003). It's mostly Book 3 and Sazabi in Book 2 that are affected; everyone else in Books 1 and 2 are mostly using stock abilities (Sazabi is REALLY different).

After that I might give this a whirl.

The crazy thing I found out about this version is the Book 2 epilogue wasn't actually a part of this release-- Kasumi just plain shows up out of the blue. I don't know what happened there because I'm pretty sure I did that before I started on Book 3 (the Intro I knew I made later because that one came with the costume joke sequence that wasn't applicable at the time).

-----

Now, the thing I really wish I had was the original RoC versions of the Book 4 maps that I made (all of the Nekurow parts). AFAIK I don't have any version of those anymore. It's pretty much the reason why from Chapter 4 onward TFT stuff starts showing up. All of those maps were in very playable states from what I remember and some stuff was pretty cleverly done (although it was done better later, obviously)
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Finally had an epiphany about a short side story episode (like the ones in X2). Just tell it like how it happened.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Announcing the opening of the Soul Calibur 6 Mods section featuring Create A Characters from Wanderers of Sorceria. The images are created for the PC/Steam version of the game and are import ready using existing community tools for the game. Even if you have no interest in that you can read up on funny anecdotes that go along with the graphics.
-- Razorclaw X
Weloyus
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Weloyus »

Hi, dear RazorclawX, I play your WoS series at 2008 but unfortunately not finished all stages at that time.
Recently I replay it from book 1 to 6,X1 to X2 after I give up playing WoW :)

It's great if you consider to improve maps below since it greatly affects playing experience:
A. Book 3, Chapter 2.
The fogs shine my eyes painful even I adjust brightness to lowest level.
B. Book 6, West District - Kurumi turn.
It is too difficult to find hidden lever in temple to trigger boss fight event, where I'm stuck for a long time until I find a guide video on youtube.
It's better to make some hints.

The journey experience is epic regardless models.
Well it's not a problem for me since I myself made indie games by UE, focus on programming/scripting part, always found diffcult to find proper exsited models and animations to fit my thoughts.

One more wish:
I read your past posts which stated you planed to describe story of Mizuki about her mid-life crisis in X3.
Do you also plan to write story about Vance and Hokuto in X3? Or maybe later?
Personally I like Hokuto most among all WoS stages maybe due to she is similar to Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) .

Look forward to X3 and best wishes. :)
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Vance and Hokuto have a part to play.

X3 is coming along rather slow. I know how it ends and the ending is done-- the thing I'm wrestling with is how to get there.

Currently binge playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII which I picked up in a recent publisher Steam Sale. Guess which cast features as original officers. I've generally been playing as just them except the one game I was playing as Lu Lingqi (who ended up marrying Zhang Liao and died before the end of the game, which was kind of off-putting)
-- Razorclaw X