Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

NovaLan
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Post by NovaLan »

It's really sad to hear about this ... take care of yourself, hope you will soon be well again.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Not a lot to talk about. My right hand recovered faster than my left. Left hand still kind of iffy.

I had a lot of time to reflect on a few things and that includes thinking about the story and what I think I wanted to do with X3, where the main topical issue was about 'memories' and how they shape the person that they become today, with the biggest one being between Mizuki and Shizuka**, with some potential side stories with other characters. For instance, I came to a realization that Shizu and Ziel really get along because they are actually alike and went through similar ridiculous experiences because of their circumstances. Shizu being raised for combat, but has no social skills because a "potential host" for the dragon wouldn't need that (except it obviously didn't work out that way). Ziel trained as an assassin in a training from hell because of his powers that could kill a lesser person if they didn't know better-- asocial battle freaks. They also have a common fear of suffocation even if it is by different means.

Another thing I mostly never gave thought to was Kanna, by her very nature, would come from a rich family (generally always thought of her as descendant of a samurai class family that still clung to some traditions, such as training her to fight with a naginata which is an antiquated thought in modern times). That thought crossed into how a family like that could employ maids, and then crossed into how I frequently doodle Kanna dressed in maid outfits. I wonder if that's more of a punishment or part of some body double shenanigans (you know, like switching places with a maid to sneak out, which is cliche as heck, but still sounds funny in my head). Then again, given her personality, Kanna is more than likely not liking dressing like a maid.

** Some of that seeped into later versions of the first six Books-- that Mizuki's husband is a stage magician and she became his assistant, and how Shizu detested him, and later Mizuki, for running off with him to get married. For Shizu that manifested in that seemingly-random harlequin costume, which was supposedly her 'stage costume' for an act featuring Mizuki at Shizu's expense. Current thinking I'm contemplating maybe it's better she ran an outfit similar to Mizuki's, but that would depend on how old she was when this happened, which I haven't quite pinned down (because while that outfit would be okay on a teenage Mizuki, a pre-teen Shizu probably wouldn't come off that well).
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I was playing with an "AI" story generator and it did some amusing things. Some of it rather erotic (bad, bad AI). Not going to post what it generated because I deleted it.

Was going to try the ChatGTP one, but you need to make an account for that so I didn't bother.
-- Razorclaw X
NovaLan
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by NovaLan »

Currently I was playing PERSONA series and I found Sorceria's concept is somehow quite similar to its ‘Metaverse’, especially for what Ayame and Chika experienced in X2. It seems such theme always delivers wonderful surrealistic story in Japanese Role-Playing Game.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Been playing with AI dungeon for a bit. After a few practice plays I started adding my own characters and started doing my own things instead of the stuff made by other people.

Found out some weird things because of the AI:

1. Shizuka almost invariably ends up wearing a maid outfit. For some reason she almost invariably descends into having sex with somebody (including Shion and Kanna) and keeps suggesting BDSM scenarios. She is really kinky. (I later discovered I made the mistake of typing the word 'slave' in her profile so the AI twisted it for its nefarious purposes)

2. Kanna keeps asking Shizuka to be her girlfriend. It's still treating Kanna as a girl. I don't know how that happens. She hasn't asked Shion once to my knowledge.

3. Ziel is a jerk. I think we already knew that, though.

4. I had a scenario where Shion met a fortune teller that predicted something that actually happened later in the story. That creeped me out.

5. I also had Shizuka meet a fortune teller (because I think it is a funny procedurally-generated device) and she started talking about how she was a character in a story and it wasn't real. The fortune teller started talking about things I already knew about Shizuka that were 100% true to what I wrote about her before, but wasn't in the actual scenario. It turned into a whole "Yes, this is an alternate universe" thing that Shizuka is looking at and then the story went back to normal. In the end I decided the fortune teller was really Hokuto because that's also within her wheelhouse.

6. For the unreleased campaign I wrote a mini-story featuring Kanna working at a maid cafe, so I started writing that (it was a really idle, minor idea that didn't really have much to it, so I was curious and let the AI help write it out). At the very start of it, she instead hired Shizuka to disguise herself as Kanna and take her place. OMG you magnificent bastard.

7. A scenario where Miranda, Shion, Shizuka, and Kanna were playing a kind of dare game (you pick a card, you do what it says on the card or you have to do something worse). The AI rigged the game so Shizuka kept losing (it kept generating impossible tasks for her) until it got to Miranda's last turn and she had to get bound and gagged and tickled. Sure enough they did that, and at the very end they left her there. She kind of deserved that.

This AI stuff is weird.
-- Razorclaw X
Playtester1903
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by Playtester1903 »

After another long hiatus and clearing my schedule full of nothing, I realized that despite me first playing this campaign for over ten years ago, and contributing to the finding of some bugs, I'd never dropped an actual detailed review of each chapters.

So, now that I'm more adept at finding (and causing) bugs and are better at writing, I dug up my old cache files, booted up Warcraft 1.31 (I'm too used to playing on this buggy ver instead of 1.26), and started another few playthroughs on New Game Plus so I could jog up my memory for this review.

(I realized that on the older versions, I accidentally played on Debug Mode by using the WorldEdit profile, allowing me to gain access to Lord of Chaos Hikaru. I saw 60/60/60 journal pages and assumed that I actually collected them all without remembering. Oops.)

I'm gonna put these in spoiler tags because of how long it is. I hope you like reading, because I'm writing a lot.

- Book 1:
► Show Spoiler

- Book 2:
► Show Spoiler
Book 1 is fun, and 2 is my favorite alongside 5, so I had a lot of fun replaying them with my new knowledge in WC3. When I have time, I will try to tackle Book 3-6 again.

Also, off-topic, map triggers-related questions:
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Book 1 is fun, and 2 is my favorite alongside 5, so I had a lot of fun replaying them with my new knowledge in WC3. When I have time, I will try to tackle Book 3-6 again.
Personally I like 5 the most with 3 being the weakest since it's basically all setup and a lot of weird nonsense going on in it.

- If you have a use for my triggers, I don't mind you using them.

- Because he's a horny bastard and it's more of a joke. Those are flags you don't actually want after all (well, unless you're into that kind of thing, but it is a pretty tasteless joke).

=======================
- Chapter 2A - Resurgence:
+ Ziel is now proper jerk, and the rest of Shizu gang are also being themselves. Much better than the Chapter 1 cinematic already.
All the dialogue is mostly the same as the original so it can come off pretty bad.
+ Back to Shion. Tight spaces everywhere, and Shion himself + his illusions must have boasted more than 20 total spells to use in all situations, and he's spell immune. Phase 2 put me in a tighter hallway, and when Shion's wounded. he even retreated to an isolated square in the middle to continue channelling his spells. If it weren't for the Runes of Restoration, he would have defeated my overpowered heroes.
+ Now, I normally hate tight space, but it fits Shion's character well. He's the brain, not the brawn, so there's no reason for him to fight in an open arena like all other bosses. He knows Hikaru and Nekurow are forces to be reckoned with, so he puts them in the most disadvantageous positions possible to gain an edge in combat. Needless to say, one of the toughest NG+ boss.
He's inspired by the third boss of Oculus in Wrath of the Lich King. Funny thing in Dragonflight there's a remix version of him in Azure Vaults (which is a throwback to both Oculus and Nexus dungeons in WotLK). It was always one of my favorite dungeon bosses in WoW.
+ Mizuki's dragon and Ayame/Chika's Kirin Tank are super weak compared to Shion, and did nothing to avenge him. Kosseimaru is rightfully angered by this pathetic display, but then again, I also kind of pity Chika because of her inferiority complex.
Their attacks are intentionally kind of pathetic. Ayame and Chika are really in over their heads in what they're doing because they're not fighters by nature.

Mizuki doesn't really have an excuse. She's reliant on summoned monsters to fight since her personal ability isn't nearly as good (no matter how much Shizuka worships the ground she walks on-- she's pretty blind to her faults which is why she heaps so much praise on her).
+ The Shizuka escape section is hellish on a fresh playthrough. Spell-immune Witches and enemy heroes at every turn made it hard af to run past, and the Snowmen would catch up to me if I dallied too long near the Fountain. Unfortunate for the Zande, my overpowered Shizuka+Dragon Horn+Mask of Death has no such weakness.
The funny thing is the snowmen were only added when I realized that you could just wait the whole thing out at the fountain, which kind of killed the urgency.
- Chapter 4 + Chapter 5:
+ I'll put them both here, because Chapter 4 is kinda lacklustering other than a few dialogue lines to flesh out Kanna's character, while as Chapter 5 is always a pain in my ass whenever I try to speedrun. I guess my beloved Staff of Teleportation can help here, but then, Kanna would lose an item slot, which she could use for Crown of Kings or Keg of Ale or etc.
Chapter 5 was made when TFT came out so it's kind of a filler level, mostly when I built the campaign file I realized how short Book 1 was compared to 2. The only point of it was to make up for Kanna being an informed attributed general before she gets taken off the board by actually beating people up.
- Chapter 7 - Fated Hour:
+ Not much to say, except for the fact that I'm still finding new speedrun strats after you fixed the exploits.
+ The memory crystals explain the appearance of the Army of the Dead, and foreshadows the Black Moon's appearance, which is nice.
+ BGM is banger.
Also made when TFT came out. At the time I was working on Book 4 (only the Nekurow part was done when the expansion came out; unfortunately I don't have any versions of the originals of those three levels since they were never released) so all that information was readily available/fresh so I threw it in so it didn't seem like it came out of nowhere.
- Chapter 2 - Expedition:
+ Asides from the conversation between Shizu and Hikaru, not much is there to be said. The only oversight is that, if I destroy the Darkviper Clan, beat up a few Satyrs, and then loop back through the Way Gate, Kosseimaru and Scaldar still acts as if they encounter those Satyrs and Zande for the first time.
+ The Furbolg will talk when Shizu gang approach him, even if he was killed by the Zande beforehand. There are a few more instances of dead units talking, but I forgot where.
Almost certainly because the map was originally designed so you had to take the lower path.
- Chapter 6 - Showdown:
+ How did the Zande employed so many pandas to fight for them?
They're not. The pandaren are the tower guardians.

--------------------------
Funny thing I thought of when writing this. The three most important people in Shizuka's life are Hikaru, Mizuki, and Kanna. Sorry, Shion. Although that does fit in with my thoughts that she would step aside for Kanna if it ever came up between the two.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Been messing with Google Bard.

- I asked it about Shizuka from Wanderers of Sorceria and it spit out her profile from the web page. I guess I need to be a little more careful about that...?
- I asked it what Ys game Shizuka would most likely appear in and it was Ys 8 as a support fighter who buffs/heals allies. That is oddly on the nose.
- I asked what alternate costumes Shizuka would have and it spat out: default (black kimono... don't know), armored battle maiden, swimsuit, maid, schoolgirl (sailor uniform), and bunny suit. I grilled it on which costumes were the most popular with the default being the most popular and the bunny suit being the least popular because it didn't suit her character (which is pretty much in line with what I thought). In between it rated battle maiden, maid, swimsuit, and schoolgirl. I tried to insist on a Sweet Lolita costume, but Bard insisted it didn't suit her character.

Need to mess with it some more, but I used up my usage for the day.
-- Razorclaw X
Playtester1903

Post by Playtester1903 »

Funny thing I thought of when writing this. The three most important people in Shizuka's life are Hikaru, Mizuki, and Kanna. Sorry, Shion. Although that does fit in with my thoughts that she would step aside for Kanna if it ever came up between the two.
At least Shion still has his Dragon Quest waifu. That's like, one of the only conversation I remember from Book 5, because it's been too long.
Need to mess with it some more, but I used up my usage for the day.
I wonder what do these A.Is think about Kurumi, or even how do you think about her when you were writing her. I've been taking a liking to her recently. Compared to the rest of the cast, she's the more regular one whose strongest assets are not a dragon spirit or a sword of light, but just G U N S and a big golem; which ironically makes her stand out more than most.

You talked about Book 3 being weird nonsense, which I kinda agrees. It's like a drug trip. Scaldar killed a guy with l33t talk, then Johan beat up some Chinese dudes alongside fish guys, Sazabi eating head soups, fighting the fucking God of Fire,...and much more. It's also funny how more than half of the book take place in the same map, and that almost every level has a different iteration of Chaos Soldier and Jin Footman.

Also, plot question: Why don't the Nerubians use Airships to attack Sokuram's Tower to reclaim the Book of Sealing, or why didn't Dallas send any of his Slayer to steal it?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Playtester1903 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:28 am I wonder what do these A.Is think about Kurumi, or even how do you think about her when you were writing her. I've been taking a liking to her recently. Compared to the rest of the cast, she's the more regular one whose strongest assets are not a dragon spirit or a sword of light, but just G U N S and a big golem; which ironically makes her stand out more than most.
She wasn't meant to go as far as she did, but she was interesting enough that I decided to keep her. Kurumi also comes off as being in over her head which was much easier to write than dealing with more characters that do know what they're doing. I changed my plans for Book 4 to accommodate her and it probably came out better because of that (biggest one was Kasumi under no circumstances would have been forgiven).

As for the AI, Bard doesn't work on Kurumi very well.
Also, plot question: Why don't the Nerubians use Airships to attack Sokuram's Tower to reclaim the Book of Sealing, or why didn't Dallas send any of his Slayer to steal it?
I think in my mind most everyone just sucked at overcoming the tower guardians. Even Hikaru's group had to 'cheat' to do it.

As for the airship thing, the Nerubians don't know how to build ships (every single one of them came from humans) and they've got an aversion to water so they tend to not fly them over water. This idea was thought up before WotLK introduced flying Nerubians or even Nerubians attacking islands in Battle for Azeroth so it probably comes off as being a weird thing nowadays.
At least Shion still has his Dragon Quest waifu. That's like, one of the only conversation I remember from Book 5, because it's been too long.
The funny thing is it's based off a really old anecdote from the early days of the internet. And then I saw Dragon Quest: Your Story (which is based off of Dragon Quest V) and it pretty much happened there, too.

I asked Bard who Shion would pick and it agreed he would pick Bianca, although I'm sure there's a selection bias on that answer.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I think it's time to admit that X3 is pretty much not happening due to a number of reasons.

- The story doesn't make any sense and it's not fixable
- I lost interest in Warcraft 3 and a large part of it is how Reforged rearranged everything so a lot of multi-campaign stuff doesn't work anymore, and I can't muster up the motivation to fix it. I still can't bring myself to pay for Reforged which is a large contributor toward this, too.
- The story doesn't actually work as a playable game

So as to what was supposed to happen:

- Sorceria is being invaded by Raven Court from Heroes of the Storm. Raven Court is lead by Orphea and she was the main antagonist. She wanted to add Sorceria to her domains in the Nexus to increase her power (much like her father did with Alterac Pass)
- Orphea wanted to capture Hokuto because she's a powerful esper (note: this is what was happening with Hokuto in X1). As last seen Shizuka was protecting Hokuto, so that involves taking her out. The story basically begins where you're playing Mizuki and you have to get Shizuka out of whatever mess Orphea put her in.
- The original idea was to go into Shizuka's memories and untangle a part of her past that was covered up-- which was her first death. Shizuka believed she drowned in a swimming pool fighting a monster. The truth was she didn't die, but the trauma from the near death experience was so bad Hokuto altered her memories. The real event was Shizuka was hired by Hokuto's mother to save her from Orphea's goons and while Hokuto was saved Shizuka was seriously messed up by the experience. So Hokuto felt obligated to help her, but inadvertently screwed her up in a different way (eg she stopped caring about her own life). Also part of the reason why Shizuka was so hostile toward her because she had a nagging feeling that Hokuto was screwing with her.
- Orphea needed to create the conditions for the Nexus to bring Sorceria into it and needed to raise an army for that purpose to serve as Sorceria's army, which was the Mekani factory satellite, using Hokuto as a battery to run the factory. Note that she doesn't QUITE need Hokuto specifically for this (the reasons she was being targeted specifically were not concrete) so she throws her minion Pixy Amy into it in the end after she fails one last time (which also frees up Hokuto's guy friend from mind control).
- Obviously, Orphea fails at this and is beaten.
- A lot of the story was supposed to be about Mizuki's past. She was orphaned and raised by Sypha to be Deathclaw's new host until they hastily dropped their plans and found Shizuka instead. Mizuki harbored some resentment toward Shizuka for losing her purpose in life, but she grows out of it and finds something worth living for, gets married, and has a kid (basically the opposite of Shizuka's outlook). She also is a trickster and screwed with Shizuka a lot more than Shizuka is willing to admit (because if you listen to how Shizuka talks she blatantly ignores saying anything bad about her)
- A lot of the Heroes of the Storm models I ported for Warcraft 3 in the past were to facilitate this campaign. Many of the Blizzard 'good guys' were the enemy Heroes encountered, including a team I dubbed the 'Dva Corps' which are Heroes with a bunch of Dva themed skins. In addition to that were some altered models to facilitate skins that just plain didn't exist in Heroes of the Storm, like Orphea's team in the final level was all magical girls.

Only two levels were finished, although one of them is garbage. The other one was the final level where you fight Orphea in another AoS map.

In any case it is a pretty half baked idea and shouldn't be taken as canon. I very much second guess the whole changing memories thing because that should screw someone up even more learning something like that (and after going to the hospital and experiencing that dark place I don't think I want to go there anymore).
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I don't think this is much of an update as much as a notice saying I'm still alive.

I've spent a lot of time doing AI text adventures, most notably one where Shizuka is a fashion model which has been going on for months. It's gotten to the point where I'm wondering if I should just edit and publish it for shits and giggles because it's very weird, but still kind of interesting to think about. It's certainly caught my attention longer than other ideas (the one with Miranda being an idol singer didn't last longer than a week, for instance).

A few months ago I finally got around to finishing Fire Emblem Three Houses (my play of it was interrupted by my hospital stay from a year ago). I've since beaten the game five times-- one of each route at least once, and Crimson Flower twice, to fill out the Events/Music/Supports. Out of all that I tend to favor the Black Eagle house the most, but not for the person you'd think. The characters I tended to favor were Hubert, Bernadetta, Lindhardt, Mercedes, and Ingrid who I used in one way or another when I could (obviously Hubert being restricted to Crimson Flower puts a wrench in things). Heck, in my Silver Snow run I made both Bernadetta and Mercedes my designated Snipers and they ended up killing everything (Mercedes focusing on archery was more of a why not thing because I really didn't need her for healing at that point because I was fielding Dorothea and Hanneman as secondary healers after Lindhardt).

The weird thing is Mercedes inspired one of the characters in the aforementioned text adventure.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I've gotten to a point where I finished the aforementioned text adventure. I've been editing it to be a more readable story, but I don't know when I'm publishing it. It's not high art or anything and I don't expect anyone to care, but it did feel pretty good to finish something again.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

For anyone who still comes here, I think it's time I draw attention to the Fiction page.

I've spent a lot of time in the past year playing AI text 'games' and decided to edit some of them into a more readable format. One short story and one a longer story.

White Siren Idol Miranda. A short story that is, in short, a side story I was planning to write for Wanderers of Sorceria X-3 that never got off the ground. Remnants of this idea are visible in X-2. While the story is not exactly the same, it is mostly there. You can probably tell why it didn't take off-- there is no practical gameplay involved in it.

Shizuka the Fashion Model. The longer of the two. Part 1 and Part 2 are uploaded in their entirety, while Part 3 is still in the editing phase (it is also MUCH longer than the other two). Part 1 is heavily truncated and rewritten from its original form because it wasn't suitable as a fictional novel story, particularly since it wasn't initially played as it was supposed to be one from the start (it basically read like someone throwing ideas at a dartboard). Part 2 is a little wobbly, but Part 3 was run more with the intention of being web published.

I realize this isn't any sort of high art writing, so just take it as it is. I mean, it is AI assisted, after all. I probably could have written them all out myself if I really wanted, but I don't have that kind of time for a vanity project like this (yeah, you read that coming out of someone that spent almost 20 years refining a Warcraft 3 campaign)

There's some other things I've got lying around I'm editing, too, so if you are even remotely interested in some strange stories I'll be posting them. And I'll still post them even if you don't read them, because that's how I roll.

-----

There is one that's basically the skeleton of what I was thinking about doing for X-3 (and it's the reason why the alternate universe stories are called 'Tales of the Recluse Cube'), but it is really incoherent and unreadable. I don't know if I should re-run that or what....
-- Razorclaw X
SilverGauntlet
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by SilverGauntlet »

Wow, it has been a while since I was last here. A lot has happened, it seems.

First thing first, I wonder if you can update the music list, especially for X1 and X2, and update outdated info on the site. I found out about three different arrangements of Fateful Confrontation from Trails in the Sky SC being used in X2, and realized that I don't really know the tracks that are neither from the main campaign nor from Nihon Falcom.

Kind of sad that X3 is scrapped. I have been replaying the book, watched Youtube videos X1 and X2 and have some ideas that can work for X3 - although none of them can be used for a level:

Hikaru and Kurumi meeting the Fire Wheel and their associates, especially Ziel or Mizuki, would be interesting. Or Miranda meeting Kevin.

Bringing other Sorcerians in the Books back?

Not the greatest idea, but
Spoiler
imagine Hikaru and Kurumi found out about what Miranda did to Shizuka. Not that it can happen due to no recording existing and the unlikeliness of that being spilled out by people who are involved.
The conclusion of the Hokuto and Vance plot -
Spoiler
Hokuto freeing Vance and/or fighting directly against Pixy Amy or their boss and prevail?
Then again, that may or may not fit your vision for the characters, and some stories may work better in text form.