Diablo 4 announced!

Moderator: Milldawg

Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Diablo 4 announced!

Post by Hercanic »

My thoughts:
The ingame art has gained more realistic detail, and the colors seem a bit more muted for a darker, grittier aesthetic. There's topless women statues in Scosglen, so Blizzard is actually embracing the Mature rating (surprisingly).

They've scaled Tristram back down to its original tiny hamlet, which in a wide shot helps amplify its isolated feel.

I imagine they'll be announcing more classes over time, but it'd be interesting if they stuck to three and really fleshed them out. Unlikely, though, since on the website they write, "The first three champions are..." implying more to come.

With the Druid, we can probably expect to see the Assassin, too.

I wonder if they'll be bringing back the other D2 classes, who were effectively replaced in D3, like the Paladin (vs. Monk and Crusader) or Amazon (vs. Demon Hunter). Witch Doctor was the Necromancer replacement originally, but then they added the Necro to D3, so there's of course room for fantasy variation rather than strictly mechanical variation. I could see them doing this, since like with Tristram there's a big nostalgia factor that would get people very excited. What with all the clamor for a D2 Remaster.

They did a good job with Lilith as the main villain. I remember being interested in her lore from D3.
I wonder what happened to her 'husband', the angel.

Talents, Skill Points, Runes, and Legendary loot.
1. Talents: Tree, WoW's pick one-out-of-three, or just a variation on D3's passive skills?
2. Skill Points: Like D2's with synergy buffs? Sounds like they might be going away from scaling everything off your weapon like in D3.
3. Runes: Skill runes like D3, or Rune Words like D2?
4. Legendary loot: So D3 itemization? I hope they don't fall into the Set system of D3, which eliminated most build variation.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Still rockin' that DirectX 7, I see! Everything looks like every other game inspired by Doom3 - Plasticy and slimy, especially when it doesn't make any sense. The particle effects are worse than my very first experiments in sc2.

The audio quality in the trailer continues to demonstrate the priority the Loudness War has over clarity and quality, with every voice and sound effect being completely overdriven and crunched to the MAXX for MAXIMUM EXTREME EPIC EDGE.

The other content is basically d3 repainted to try to appeal to the innumerable people who felt d3 was too cartoony and silly, while still looking cartoony and silly since it's just Heroes of the Storms assets with the same level of carelessness in the animation and effects.

I mean, it certainly isn't as bad looking visually as d3, if not incomparable to most Unreal 2 titles, and really there isn't any way they can do worse with the progression and number management, so maybe they'll finally randomly strike something worth looking at. That said, I don't actually have a phone, so MTX engines aren't entirely in my menu.

Also, 3. It's always fucking 3. Can't anyone, just once, not live the meme?
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

IskatuMesk wrote:Also, 3. It's always fucking 3. Can't anyone, just once, not live the meme?
It's close to thee, the most medieval word ever, and it's pointy like a triangle so Illuminati confirmed.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Are you saying Blizzard are lizardfolk?
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Seems like they're trying to fit in a lot of throwbacks to D2. The online model sounds exactly like Destiny 2.