Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Re: Metal Thread

Post by Zilla- »

Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

New Electric Octopus- Jazzy as a motherfucker, super mellow album. I don't think I've actually heard anything that would qualify it as a "metal" album at all now that i'm thinking on it, but still a very nice proggy jam, post-rocky at times. something id like to listen to outside under a clear sky with the company of a few good friends

Smokeyhead:
Spoiler
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Love electric octopus. Love most of the stoned meadow of doom channel. Not metal but you might like stuff from 'confused biproduct of a misinformed culture' channel.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

SMoD is a solid staple for me too. Good call on the trip-hop too, I definitely love this kinda stuff.

also on a bit of a tangent, last week I was supposed to see Deafheaven, but then i was tired and took a nap instead :( but it was cool cause this week I was gonna catch The Protomen but then a snowpocalypse hit so fuck that, but im still kinda bummed about missing both. In any case, Protomen post~

So recently they released this video for "Light up the Night", which is itself a re-imagining of their overarching story, but more on that in a bit. Its pretty cool and it renewed my interest in em
Spoiler
Overall, The Protomen have released ~3 albums so far with the first being a re-imagining of the story of Megaman (30+ year old spoilers to follow lel)
Spoiler
Dr Light makes Protoman who falls in battle with Dr Wily and his robots, Dr Light makes Megaman who goes to fight Dr Wily
with the album ending in a climactic cliffhanger battle. IIRC this started as a school project, the last song on the album was the first they made and you can definitely tell. Its gritty and unpolished and not part of the "story", but its a solid track, the rest of the album itself is a crazy mash of like crazy western movie theme inspired bits with grungy almost Machinae Supremacy style bits and of course super over the top cheesy rock opera vocals with all sorts of other shit tossed in. the atmosphere on this album is well done, you can feel the jaded broken society and struggle of Megaman come out through the music. You can see the movie play out in your mind clearly. Its not too long either, clocking in at like ~40 mins. Definitely worth checking out for any Megaman fan, or if youre just looking for something unique.

Act 1:
Spoiler
Their second album is a prequel to the first and highlights the struggles of Dr Light vs Dr Wily. I'm pretty sure they brought in the producer for some of Meatloaf's albums and you can hear the influence clearly on some of the piano/drum bits, sound like something straight from A Bat Out Of Hell. Conceptually this album sounds differently and you can feel the city change with the times as the story goes on and what starts sounding out fairly "clean" ends up setting up the dirty grimy stage that the first album explores. Very well done on this front. In most regards I'd say that this album is just the band building on and polishing what they started. However, the albums concept doesnt allow it to be as hard/rock-y as the first, kind of a pity. I really enjoy the atmosphere they created with the first and wished they'd explore it more, but~ more on this in a bit. The other weak point are the vocals. I find myself saying this about a lot of bands/songs, so I'll admit part of it is personal preference, but on some of the songs on this album the vocals are just not good. I mean, I get the whole rock opera thing, but theres always those weird songs that should just be dialogue or something but they need to be music so they into this weird limbo of just being a shitty song imo. However, even on those tracks I generally just let em play through as they do (vocals withstanding) add to the overall theme/feel of the album and skipping a track would fuck up the transitions :3. Anyway I've harped on it long enough. Overall I'd also Highly recommend this one, I always find myself playing the two back to back, they just fit so nicely (also fit on one 80 min cd-r[w] if anyone still uses those.....).

Act 2: Father of Death
Spoiler
So after those they haven't released act 3 yet, but they did come out with this album of covers. Apparently its the OST to a movie thats playing in the city that their story takes place in. so its a soundtrack to a movie that doesn't exist. ok. The rabbit hole goes deeper though. The songs chosen are very clearly telling a story even though its just a bunch of (seemingly) random covers. The prevailing theory is that Dr Wily made a movie to cover up the actual events of Act 2 (the movie title is "The Cover-up" :3) and this album is the soundtrack to that. Kind of a crazy story for an album of covers. Anyway, I'd also definitely recommend giving it a spin if you liked their sound from the "real" albums. They treat each song really well and there wasn't one that I immediately disliked, I was even pleasantly surprised at their take on "Princes of the Universe". I hope I link it properly, cause this one was a bit tricky to nail down, I'm not sure if this playlist even has all the songs, but if you have the time try to listen to it properly (I ended up googling the songlist and listening to them individually).

The Cover Up (offical movie soundtrack)
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

New Pallbearer~

I like the song but the video is lolwut
I Saw The End
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

New Persefone~

I was a bit disappointed by their last release, Spiritual Migration, so I was pleasantly surprised by this new album, Aathma. if youre in a proggy melo-death mood i'd definitely recommend giving it a spin.

Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Quick follow-up to the Pallbearer post,

Khemmis - Hunted
Spoiler
Similar in tone and feel but not quite the same as Pallbearer, still though a solid traditional doom album.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Checking out Persefone now.
Spoiler
Really loving this atm. Not anything new by any means but it's good ambiance while working.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Not a bad find, you described it pretty well, nothing too fancy but a good background album.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Quick scratch for the melodeath itch,

Wolfheart - World on Fire
Spoiler
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Hahahahaha it's been so long since I watched metal music videos. Pretty decent song but the keyboard should have been mixed better, a different tone that blended well imo.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

I love videos, although i don't really watch the ones where its just the band jamming out, although those can be fun like the MtH ones. Personally my favorites are the ones where you are just looking up a song you like and you see that they've got some nonsense going on, usually coupled with shitty low-fi effects = <3 Prime example,

King Diamond - Give me your soul
Spoiler
also~ King Diamond/Merciful fate post
Satanic as a motherfucker. Very unique vocals. Dude sings in falsetto most of the time. Started off with Merciful Fate and then went on to make a million solo albums. Each album is a horror story or something I think. Anyway, Give Me Your Soul is a great album from start to finish IMO, but that song is what got me to check it out in the first place. A few other selections that I'd recommend are:

Melissa (1983) - from the opening of Evil to the end of the title track Melissa this album is a solid addition to anyone that likes proper 80s heavy metal. On that note,

Merciful Fate - Evil
Spoiler
Merciful Fate - Melissa (one of my favourites~)
Spoiler
Don't Break The Oath (1984) - metal as fuck album cover \m/. also a good album. The Oath is one of my favourites, opens with a satanic summoning and then goes into heavy metal gold, I'd harp longer but work ;_;

Merciful Fate - The Oath
Spoiler

Bonus track~
can't believe i forgot to include this,
Volbeat ft King Diamond - Room 23, for a Volbeat song its definitely very diamond sounding even excluding having him on the vocals.
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

today just a quick tune i caught on the radio that was way too hard to find (searching for the chorus "You were never really innocent But you were given the gun" was a nightmare)

groovy little rock-y number with a pretty decent grungy female vocals,

Royal Thunder - April Showers
Spoiler
heard this other bit as a follow up, another solid groovy jam imo
Time Machine
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

so recently I've heard a lot of Sabaton on the radio. I'd describe them as a power metal version of Iron Maiden, with history and war being very prominent in most (all?) of their songs. their lyric videos have some fun art/visuals/photos as well (although the self promotoion is a bit heavy heanded). Check em out if you feel like going on a time traveling tour of battles and badassery

Shiroyama
Spoiler
Night Witches
Spoiler
The Lost Battalion
Spoiler
Sparta [lol]
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

been coming back to the new pallbearer album a lot. I'm really digging Dancing in Madness.
Spoiler
also~
RAMMSTEIN this weekend \m/ can't wait, gonna try to make a proper rammstein post after the show. hope to see these two bits again
Ich Tu Dir Weh (murder @3:35)
Spoiler
Engel (those fucking wings~~~~)
Spoiler