Metal Thread

Moderator: Milldawg

Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Re: Metal Thread

Post by Zilla- »

so today was going to just be a quick plug for Giraffe Tongue Orchestra after I heard a song on the radio, but then i went to look it up and found this video for Blood Moon (a different song) and just had to post it here. similar themes of lolis with MtH :3
Spoiler
the group is made up from members of Alice in Chains, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Mars Volta. put it all together and you've got a pretty decent prog group. Anyway here's the song from the radio I wanted to post, Fragments and Ashes
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Short Megadeth post~

some people are die hard Megadeth fans, i'm not one of them. Truth be told I'm not overly fond of thrash in general, that being said however sometimes theres a scratch that only some Megadeth can itch.

Hanger 18 I think is my favourite, the video definitely plays a part into that though, its this super 80s over the top cheesy roswell story with kickass costumes and effects and shit and over top of it all you got these flailing guitars and clean vocals with just a slight grungy edge, solid bass and drum work as well. the groove around ~2:49 is super funky
Spoiler
speaking of itches that need to be scratched Use The Man is a song about heroin addiction :( its super raw feeling though and reminds me of alice in chains at times, especially at the start. by the end though its back to full on megadeth. i like the call and response that they use for the chorus where its as though the dude talks to himself in the different vocal styles, ive had conversations with someone in the mirror like that a few times on shrooms. nothing as dark though, anyway another good song though~
Spoiler
it wouldnt be a megadeth post without Peace Sells though, classic track off the 2002 album Vice city soundtrack :3
The intro is 100% amazing. i quote it out of context all the time and nobody catches it ;_; but the first half is basically disgruntlement rolled up into a groovy paste and extrapolated on and the climax is an explosion of all that energy with obvious political and social overtones. very fitting for GTA
Spoiler
turns out there are more megadeth songs that i like than i thought now that i'm actually going through them all...
heres Tornado Of Souls. good driving song if you need to fly down the highway at way too fast. the instrumentals are on point with a great solo ~3:10
Spoiler
I'm gonna close this out with another classic, Rust In Peace...Polaris, i'm pretty sure the premise is there is a space station (Polaris) with a nuclear arsenal that it then unleashes on the world to usher in a new age of ice and death. spreading disease like a dog. Fun stuff
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Another couple of songs from the radio i felt like putting up. they both are post-metal type dealies with hardcore style female vocals, a surprisingly nice blend, and the word "needle" in the title

First will be Oathbreaker with Needles In Your Skin, the heavier of the two choices, almost in line with Deafheaven. I hadn't heard of them before but this snuck up on me while crusing around. Again if you like deafheaven i'd give it a spin
Spoiler
Second is Cult of Luna ft. Julie Christmas - The Wreck of the SS Needle. I'll most likely do a proper post on CoL at some point later, they've been a solid staple from time to time, skirting the edges of doom and sludge in a post rock/metal soundscape, usually accompanied by rough male vocals but mostly instrumental. Thats why when I first heard this I was so surprised by the addition of Julie Christmas (not a name i'm familiar with) and how fitting it was. Again, i'll probably have a nice write up on cult of luna later but for now just get lost in this ocean of sound. Put me down where i can see you run~
Spoiler
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Came across Trees of Eternity the other day. Pretty decent ambient noise.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

wibod wrote:Came across Trees of Eternity the other day. Pretty decent ambient noise.
I checked em out, i like the whispered singing, reminded me of Sirenia, some symphonic gothic metal
Spoiler
kinda like a heavier version of nightwish, but they've got a lot of "soft" songs as well usually with dark overtones though. some death thrown in from time to time as well IIRC. i should revisit their albums sometime, see if they hold up.

EDIT: lol, isk linked them earlier. i was about to say i thought i was thinking of them at some point recently for some reason... anyway i hope i at least picked a different song....phew... actually coming back to In A Manica, I actually wrote a paper on that for English 101 :3

SAME DAY DOUBLE POST!! CALL THE MODS (lol)

I was actually coming back to this thread to post a quick doubleshot of Against Me! (i think the ! is part of the name). Venturing into Punk territory, (again not a genre I'm particularily fond of, kinda the way i feel about thrash) Against Me! is some super angsty whiny bullshit with anarchistic overtones. my crazy ex from highschool used to listen to them so i was kinda biased against em, but again the radio played something new and I decided to revisit em. I still think they're angsty whiny bullshit but i don't think its as terrible anymore, tolerance to bullshit goes up over time i guess

Dead Rats- this is off their new album and got stuck in my head. Sounds VERY different from what i remembered them sounding like. almost like The White Stripes imo. If this is them selling out thats some hilariously delicious irony from their early fuck the man attitude. lol
Spoiler
Baby, I'm an Anarchist- by anarchisting overtones i mean they weren't subtle about it at all, a few of their songs have it in the titles IIRC. anyway this is the dirty/grungier sound that I associate with them. very lo-fi and almost screamo-ish. seriously listening to the two songs back to back i don't believe its the same band. kinda crazy what 14 years will do
Spoiler
BAM! You just got modded, foo! With love, Hercanic~♥
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

what mods; mayhap, do you refer to the magnificent mods that I so adore?
► Show Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Uh oh, guess i better watch my step :3

TODAY IS XMAS, or tomorrow, or something around here depending on timezones or whatever. anyway, im not at work so just a quickie today, fuller list of xmas music when i return (tuesday)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra~ proggy xmas music~ Only dropping their Tchaikovsky track because fuck yea nutcracker, but they have like 8 albums of christmas music, definitely check it out of the trash on the radio has you wanting to kill yourself
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Today I bring some Andorran prog death in the form of Persefone cause i dont really feel like doing xmas :3

This was one of the bands that helped me get into death metal, I started out listening to almost exclusively power metal with some proggy stuff on the side and the growls and shit didn't really jive with me. felt like it was "too much", however when i stumbled across this album it helped completely change my views (listens?) on death. shifts constantly from soft mellow instrumentals to Technical brutality while maintaining an air of grace that's reminiscent of Dream theatre or some other hoity toity fancy college degree type band. Never too heavy to completely push me away while at the same time never slowing down enough to lose it's feel, just the opposite actually, the slow bits give you time to breathe between trying to keep up with the multitude of melodies being thrown at you.
My friend described them as the bastard lovechild of Pink Floyd and the Black Daliah Murder. it ended up being one of my most played albums of that year and still one I revist from time to time. I stress album (and my link should be the playlist for it if you want to listen to it proper) because it is definitely a beautiful cohesive idea from start to finish. Any time one of the songs would come up on shuffle i'd feel like id have to just keep listening to the rest of the album. also the art is \m/

Without (much) further ado, heres Shin-Ken,
Spoiler
They have other albums but tbh this one I feel is just perfect. Their prior one, Kore, is a bit softer id say, more floaty proggy bits, whereas their next album Spiritual Migration feels like they are working too hard, it doesn't have that effortless grace or cohesion that drew me so deeply into Shin-ken. that said they are both still very very good and i would definitely recommend giving them a listen if this tickles something in you.

Spiritual Migration (title track)-
Spoiler

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Revolta wrote:
► Show Spoiler
ooooooo, thats good.....
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

HAPPY NEW YEAR

PARTY HARD
Spoiler
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Just one this time, my cheapass headphones died (RIP) so i got a $10 pair at cvs cause its the closest thing around that even had headphones (seriously 7/11? no fucking cheapass headphones? disappointment). in any case these are fucking terrible. I knew they'd be bad but like these are fucking terrible. Listening to stuff makes me upset because I can't hear half of it... ANYWAY /rant I found this the other day :3

A real treat for you, a 16 minute deathprog (think kinda opethy) that has some phenomenal transitions and beautiful instrumentation throughout. I'm also a sucker for some well done violin/keyboard work so bonus points there. If anything I'd say that the weak point would be the clean vocals but they aren't bad at all and fit in quite nicely contrasted to how brutal the other parts can be.

Ne Obliviscaris - Painters of the Tempest (Part II): Triptych Lux
Spoiler
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Funny I was listening to that album like a week ago, didn't think to post it. I like it, good stuff
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

definitely, I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to. I used to spend entire days just scouring the internet for albums but now the best I have time for is a youtube binge

this time it gave me a fresh doom album Vinnum Sabbathi - Gravity Works (came out jan 3rd 2017) that's been playing in the background all day. I keep getting pulled away on calls or whatever but everytime i come back i find myself rewinding it to fall back into the space jams {COME ON AND SL- no, more like Electric Wizard grooves}. The wizard feel is obviously there, the band took their name from the opening track to Dopethrone (guess I know what I'll be listening to on the drive home) but I don't feel the same weight or dankness. Instead of overdosing on drugs and murder like EW, VS opts to take a more psychedelic exploration the stars, solid instrumental work with old spacy esque soundbytes thrown in. A bit distracting at first but after a bit its just like having flight control talking bullshit at you while you're careening through space. Very similar to the way Destination Earth! makes use of sound clips. Anyway I'll link both the whole album on youtube as well as their bandcamp where you can hear each track individually (and even pay for it if you want)

Vinnum Sabbathi - Gravity Works
Spoiler
https://vinnumsabbathi.bandcamp.com/
wibod

Post by wibod »

I had forgotten that Katatonia exists, which is unfortunate because they're pretty good. I guess they're kind of a doom/prog rock hybrid, which is mostly down to the use of clean vocals. Their older stuff leans more towards death and traditional doom.

Newest album;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdQY4XFfU0
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

Nice, i think i ran across them a long time ago but just brushed em off because i was pretty much exclusively into power metal at the time. after listening to that it brought me to Mirrorthrone who i was going to do a post on, but then something new came up that i just had to share instead

Cross Highest Trip - Vision Without Execution is Hallucination
basically if tool and pink floyd dabbled in heavy doom. another album that I just got sucked into, super proggy and downright jazzy at times but with the capacity to be heavy at times too. i wouldn't say they are brutal at all though, all the bits feel very smooth and nothing felt "harsh". definitely worth a listen
Spoiler
wibod

Post by wibod »

Not a big fan of black metal, but I do like this offering from Eldamar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaoVdzo00lI