Today, history was made...

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Today, history was made...

Post by IskatuMesk »

Marco wrote: For some its actual utility, although for others, its usually a narcissistic fashion statement.  Fishing for that one moment when a friend says, 'Oooh, is that the new ?' comment.  Just like custom ring tones, fashion, not functionality.  Just another method of expressing ourselves. 
I got a PM on youtube from a guy who said he was using my screaming about mustaches as his ringtone.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote:
Marco wrote: For some its actual utility, although for others, its usually a narcissistic fashion statement.  Fishing for that one moment when a friend says, 'Oooh, is that the new ?' comment.  Just like custom ring tones, fashion, not functionality.  Just another method of expressing ourselves. 
I got a PM on youtube from a guy who said he was using my screaming about mustaches as his ringtone.
I would take it further and request a mancatcher soundboard on vent.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

It came to my realization that this doesn't prove anything. Passing Microsoft on market share valuable holds no superiority considering an iPod Shuffle is considered part of the value of Apple. "Here, have one billion Shuffles, on sale! Boom, now we're ahead of WINDOWS 7! We win!" ... No.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

They didn't pass on market share at all, they passed on actual value of the corporation.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well I'm pretty sure we can all honestly admit that neither corporation is actually any valuable, and only MS is a necessity because people are too lazy/scared to make a real OS.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

does microsoft still exist? wow. thought that was the nineties.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Think of Microsoft as that gigantic trick lodged into your penis. It's very uncomfortable and sightly, but if you try to remove it you're going to probably bleed to death.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote: Think of Microsoft as that gigantic trick lodged into your penis. It's very uncomfortable and sightly, but if you try to remove it you're going to probably bleed to death.
i'll take my chances.

seriously, i'd be the last to deny microsoft's importance. i've used it for ages and i like most of it. with apple you don't have that special freedom you have with microsoft. but for people who see a computer as nothing more than a medium for music, photos, movies, internet, work and light-creativity, apple is arguably the best choice.

microsoft's given us near-complete control, freedom and customization... but also very clunky and clumsy machines. apple limits us to things most people want from a computer, and leaves people who want a bit more gasping for air... but they make devices you want to sink your teeth in.

both factions come with aggressive defenders of their faith. it's best to ignore them and try it out yourself and accept that maybe sometimes you need a bit of both.

my new macbook pro is on its way to my home as we speak. :D
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Here's an honest question for AA7 - a lot of people seem to tout that macs are better software-wise for stuff like sound editing, but I've never actually seen any evidence to support this. What apps does a mac have for this kind of thing that PC's don't?

For example, Audition. I have yet to find a sound editor nearly as powerful, much less as easy and fluid to use. Which is saying a lot 'cause it's an Adobe product now and their products are well-known for being terribly laid out.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote: Here's an honest question for AA7 - a lot of people seem to tout that macs are better software-wise for stuff like sound editing, but I've never actually seen any evidence to support this. What apps does a mac have for this kind of thing that PC's don't?

For example, Audition. I have yet to find a sound editor nearly as powerful, much less as easy and fluid to use. Which is saying a lot 'cause it's an Adobe product now and their products are well-known for being terribly laid out.
i may be able to answer that.

it's a lie, sort of. mac doesn't have anything BETTER than audition. it's got sound forge, but that's not better, it's just different and limited. there are these online petitions presented to adobe periodically requesting them to carbonize audition or whatever, but they're never gonna do it.

PC wins this round big time. the whole reason i own a PC is because of software that doesn't exist for mac.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Eh. Sound forge exists on the PC, too.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

The whole Macs are better for video/image/sound editing is based on semi-facts from the 90s. Seriously PC workstations and custom built PCs can do everything Macs can and in a lot of cases do it better and cheaper. The only reason Apple has a reputation of quality is because all prebuilt PC companies are awful. Seriously Mac hardware is just as shitty as PC hardware, but if you jack the price up high enough you're going to get a perceived notion of superiority.
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Actually Mac hardware is reliable.  For years, people have belittled and marganized Apple software.  If Apple was just an image, a pretty flower with no substance, then why is the company flourishing?  There are a few important facts to note here in this discussion:

1. The iPod
It is undeniable that the iPod revolutionized music players.  With 225 million iPods sold and with Apple commanding nearly 75% of the market share, there's more than just flare here.  Apple look over an entire market of listening to music.  iTunes has been a major success with millions of Americans using its software to download music, games, movies, and applications.  The iTunes music store is the Top Music Retailer in the United States.  It beats out Wal-Mart and Amazon.

2. The iPhone
Do you remember the days before the iPhone?  Everyone had shitty Motorolla Razrs, and only the business industry was using Blackberries.  When the iPhone came out, it sparked an arms race between Apple vs. the Telecommunication companies.  Apple forced phone companies to rethink the crappy hardware they were selling to people.  For the next three years, Verizon, Google, Motorolla, and RIM (Blackberry) have been trying to catch up with Apple's iPhone technology.  I remember this forum complained about the iPhone's touch screen technology.  Well now, everyone is using it.  Touch screen technology is standard on most smart phones now.

The success of the iPhone currently stands at 21% of the market share, which is pretty good considering the phone is limited to AT&T's awful network.  It has truly redefined how we perceive phones.  The phone has sold millions and has sparked another market of its own:

3. Applications
Applications are rapidly becoming the next big market.  Who would have imagined you would be seeing television ads for people to log into their iPhones and buy a certain application?  Apple pioneered application stores for mobile devices.  Currently, there are 185,000 applications in the App Store with over 4 billion total downloads.  Other phone companies have launched their own application stores to keep up with Apple.

It's difficult to maintain that Apple is an overhyped expense.  Clearly, the company has transcended beyond the fanboys.  The success of Apple is a multibillion dollar phenomenon with millions upon millions of satisfied customer .  One can continue to criticize Apple all they want to, but the reality is Apple's innovation to bring new technology into the mainstream market has revolutionized how people use mobile devices, listen to music, and experience entertainment.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Cell phones are overrated in general. You don't need a $200 cell phone to talk to someone. If you want to do something else with it get a damn netbook or an actual laptop. In the long run you'll be spending far less money and have far greater flexibility with it.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

My Vista Ultimate has been running for weeks without issues, you know that supposedly terrible OS.

Hardware also has nothing to do with with reliability or stability unless its physically defective.

The news itself has pretty much nothing to do with their desktop/laptop platform (Mac's) and everything to do with the handheld market, lets not forget the lawsuits being thrown around so Apple can keep on top with its new fad.