The Useless Games Thread

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Post by IskatuMesk »

Didn't care for the first two Fallout's (even though I generally like turn-based games, the world was just uninteresting), so never looked at fallout 3 other than its boring brown graphics.

Loved the youtube video of a guy launching dudes with mines though.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Xelxiuz wrote: I see no point in pumping health ever on any character besides shale for his crystal requirements. Strength has it's uses for requirements also, but dexterity shines in this game like no other because not only does it add armor, it adds dodge that doesn't go at a diminishing returns rate. There is also no boss in any difficulty that will one shot you given you go through the game in proper order, but that only applies to people who solo and cannot afford to have one person faint.

In fact, the closest thing you'll have to dying is that stupid event where a ghost makes you go to sleep and therefore "kills" you, but you can simply ignore it and make the ghost come out.
Dragons can one shot you if you're using a regular tank. If you take the IDEAL route through the game you can cheese every thing fairly easily. Shale makes it even easier to cheese because you get her Con. and Str. to 32 for the best crystals and then can stack dex. She is also unable to be Overwhelmed/PickedUp in the off chance that she does get hit. If you just pump Dex on Alistar or someone they can still be picked up and mangled as there is a chance to be hitno matter how high you raise Dex.
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

IskatuMesk wrote: Didn't care for the first two Fallout's (even though I generally like turn-based games, the world was just uninteresting), so never looked at fallout 3 other than its boring brown graphics.

To be honest, the graphics were actually the biggest thing that threw me off the game. I hated all the dull browns, greys, and the like. The game wasn't at all vibrant like Oblivion. I looked forward to coming home from school and seeing a bunch of pretty scenary in Oblvion while I killed shit. Fallout was beautifully dreary and I didn't get nearly the same feel with it as I did with Oblivion.

And yeah, there are some pretty funny videos that came out of that game. "Go on, mingle."
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
wibod

Post by wibod »

thebrowncloud wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote: Didn't care for the first two Fallout's (even though I generally like turn-based games, the world was just uninteresting), so never looked at fallout 3 other than its boring brown graphics.

To be honest, the graphics were actually the biggest thing that threw me off the game. I hated all the dull browns, greys, and the like. The game wasn't at all vibrant like Oblivion. I looked forward to coming home from school and seeing a bunch of pretty scenary in Oblvion while I killed shit. Fallout was beautifully dreary and I didn't get nearly the same feel with it as I did with Oblivion.

And yeah, there are some pretty funny videos that came out of that game. "Go on, mingle."
Oblivion really wasn't all that nice graphically, it is pretty much the poster child for uncanny valley and lolplastic.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

wibod wrote:
Xelxiuz wrote: I see no point in pumping health ever on any character besides shale for his crystal requirements. Strength has it's uses for requirements also, but dexterity shines in this game like no other because not only does it add armor, it adds dodge that doesn't go at a diminishing returns rate. There is also no boss in any difficulty that will one shot you given you go through the game in proper order, but that only applies to people who solo and cannot afford to have one person faint.

In fact, the closest thing you'll have to dying is that stupid event where a ghost makes you go to sleep and therefore "kills" you, but you can simply ignore it and make the ghost come out.
Dragons can one shot you if you're using a regular tank. If you take the IDEAL route through the game you can cheese every thing fairly easily. Shale makes it even easier to cheese because you get her Con. and Str. to 32 for the best crystals and then can stack dex. She is also unable to be Overwhelmed/PickedUp in the off chance that she does get hit. If you just pump Dex on Alistar or someone they can still be picked up and mangled as there is a chance to be hitno matter how high you raise Dex.
I don't know when I played, all you had to do was move two steps back when they started the pick up animation and you were gold, just like how you can do that when a slow ass hammer warrior swings and you can actually dodge it by moving if you do it fast enough. The pause feature is too godly for this, even if unnecessary.

If they changed this, I can see health being slightly important. Slightly.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Xelxiuz wrote:
wibod wrote:

I don't know when I played, all you had to do was move two steps back when they started the pick up animation and you were gold, just like how you can do that when a slow ass hammer warrior swings and you can actually dodge it by moving if you do it fast enough. The pause feature is too godly for this, even if unnecessary.

If they changed this, I can see health being slightly important. Slightly.
Dragons weren't hard to dodge, the broodmother was annoying though because the animation cue was non existant almost. That doesn't really matter though since you can cheese that boss in such a hilarious manner by running around the back wall.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

Well even if you don't back wall, you could always just stand really far back near the entrance you came in and range the crap out of her. Also if memory serves correctly wasn't she one of the few bosses that enabled you to CC her with paralyze or some crap? Her looks were more scary than the encounter.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

Spider Boss? Isn't that the piece of crap that kept climbing back up the ceiling and therefore stalled you for a good whole minute longer than it should have? Eh I guess that could make sense.

Spirit Anvil I've found the only hard part is if you choose to fight Branka, and you solo with a mage and have chosen Frostback Mountains as your first location. Your spell level isn't very high at the time, and even scaled Branka is a clear cut ahead of you when you compare resistances. That wouldn't be such a problem were it not for her god like resistances. Suffice to say I don't believe a pure caster can solo her if you choose to go there first, since everything just bounces off of her. A/W requires a hell lot of pot chugging, but it's doable.

No wait, if you really want to solo with a pure caster mage, you just force field her ass and kill everything off, then proceed to winters grasp spam as you kite her around the entire block for about an hour or two since you don't need to face her to use WG.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

I usually save my aoe nukes and ccs for when spiders spawn, pause when they spawn, and go crazy. Your melee can be in one group, and your range can be in another, with taunt/coc it should be fine.

Solo wise, yeah it depends. With a mage, unless you get chain stunned/kded, your level 7 AW spec should allow you to live through the spiderlings. 2H warriors can't be screwed, huge plus, and rogues probably have it worst if they don't choose ranger. Of course if you are doing a completely fresh run  and you have to earn your specializations, uhh well yeah you're screwed solo. But I'd like to think you can at least give yourself a small advantage.

One thing most people don't understand, is that a solo run allows you to be far more richer than you would with even two people. All that equipment you should be using is now money, and while that doesn't matter later on, early on you gain huge amounts of cash. Rogues literally can sit in stealth throwing bombs all day (IMAGINE A ROGUE WHO WON'T DESTEALTH WHILE THROWING ENGY BOMBS GAIZ) is pretty godly, mages can take advantage of infinite lyrium potions once they get that start up cash, etc etc etc.

I mean, say you go to the DLC places first, you're pretty much set since you can afford the Spellward necklace. That's 30% immunity right there. If you cheese even harder and start with items like the Blood armor, LOL. The DLC dagger is alos only behind the Rose Thorn thingy that you buy for a crap load of money, so yeah......

Also, if you start as Dwarf Noble, you get up to 20-30G starting out regardless of DLC or not, and your vendor prices at Denerim's dwarf is 50% more payout. Combine that with Dwarf being clearly the best damn race with an innate 10% spell immunity, and uh YEAAHHHH. You can see how it gets dumb real fast no?