This is a run down interview-style overview of the famous thread known as "Somebody can tell me About CC. History?" In this thread, a simple forumer questioned the history of Campaign Creations, where many veteran forumers joined in on detailing the history. You can read each page seperately starting with the first below:


Seph_AF
I want to Know.
About CC. History.
 
Deralti
According to what i know, it used to be campaigncreations.com or something........... then desler(people say its a curse 'round here) came along and shut it down, then eventually both went their ways and so.......here we are.
 
NiteFox
Ye gods, some jackasses still bear grudges?
 
AA7Dragoon
All right, let me try to sum up CC history for the last five years I've been here:
Five years ago, the forum community was very small. To post you didn't even have a profile and all topics showed their reply threads. LoTC was actually still in production and Desler had not yet started a new innovative project. The regulars at the forum were myself, Palin, Matt, Spectrum, Xealous, Skywing, etc. Staff members such as Di, Dragoon, TheDownwardSpiral, and Joel posted as well.

Eventually the forum community upgraded as more people began to discover Campaign Creations. CC began a major grwoth spurt which would last for a long while. Staff members such as RCX and Quantam would arrive. RCX came out with a new series of campaigns. They were quite popular because RCX produced them so quickly and efficiently. Quantam brought his programming skills to good use to make the MPQ2k. StarCraft was at its peak with Desler unveiling Celestial Irruption.

After three or so years of this the forum was at its peak. Everyone was waiting for the last two missions of LoTC as Oracle had disappeared. Rainblades was a staff member. The forum was doing many activities such as impersonating each other and having CC forumer awards at the end of the year. They even had a forum President and underwent "political party" struggles such as the Yogurt Party vs. The Cheese Party. There were also major forum wars such as my conflict between Ruaquick1 and I. Both of us were almost banned as we exchanged flames between each other and the forum took sides.

It wasn't long however, until Desler cancelled Celestial Irruption. It upsetted everyone he was gone. The two missions had still not yet been released. Matt became a major influence at Campaign Creations by creating TPCnet for SC CC players. This gave him the position of CC staff. The forum community was beginning a population phase shift as other communities were growing out of it. SA was attracting a lot of CC veterans and Sodon left to start another community.

Of course, Desler came up with a new project called the Gallantry, where he had a large amount of community members such as Magic and the Star Alliance working on it. It wasn't long however, until he cancelled that one and left the community. RCX was now in charge. By now the community was a bit frusterated with Desler. But respects were still there. Eventually he came back again with a new project of his own involving cinematics and so forth. But no one really took it seriously because WarCraft III was almost out.

When WarCraft III came out the great StarCraft era of campaign making and modding came to an end. Palin had become CC staff previously with his own project but decided to transfer his attention to WarCraft. Desler left the CC community and took Joel with him (who had retired just before because of a forum argument and the stresses of his new job) to start the World Crafters (a CC spin-off.) Some members left CC to join this place, others played both fields.

By now the CC community was very different from a couple years ago. Many forumers had left with new ones taking their place. But everything changed when the worst had happened. RCX had a stand off between Desler in regards to Desler's campaigns being posted at CC. The result was Desler terminated campaigncreations.com. Killed the entire community, no campaigns, no downloading, no forum. This created an uproar with CC loyalists. Much flaming insued at World Crafters. Palin, with Quantam, Matt, and RCX along with the other CC staff and forumers, rallied together to bring back Campaign Creations under campaigncreations.org.

Now we have the CC community of today. RCX has created a new campaign, map, with many freebies. Warbringer has begun a new campaign of his own. The forum is beginning a new shift of expanding and growing under WarCraft. And Desler left World Crafters for personal reasons and cancelled his campaign there, leaving Joel to run the site all by himself. But Campaign Creations still stands strong, because despite its original creator, it has taken a life of its own. It is a place where modders and campaign makers can come here for help and advice. It is a forum of great diversity and interesting conversation.

And here within these cyber walls, is a great line of history. There is so much more to this history than I can tell. So many memorable forum topics and CC events. This is just the Readers' Digest version.
 
WarGiant
bah...Im never mentioned in any history of anything despite my being there or not.
 
Legion
EDIT: Apparently, AA7 beat me to it. Excuse me for my less detailed post.

When I came here a good four years ago, it was campaigncreations.com. It was a place for Starcraft campaigns, by fans for fans, with an active forum where a lot of interesting topics were being discussed. It was a nice place to be, with nice people - like Desler. He, and Joel, and TheOracle, and RCX were working on their own campaigns and it was good. I was beginning to discover sound editing and practiced doing Protoss voices and landed myself several roles in Desler's and TheOracle's campaigns...Those were the days...

There weren't many newbies coming all the time, and those who did come were interesting people willing to contribute to the forum and the community. For as far as one can have friends through the internet, I had some good friends around here. In fact, everybody was everybody's friend. Ofcourse there were the usual fights and all, but I really liked it back then. A long long time passed until Desler decided to pull the plug. The people were kind of mad at him and turned against him. By the time Desler did it, I had already lost interest in the things we'd been doing for some years, so I never bore any grudges against Desler.

And here we are, today. CC has changed. A lot. And in my opinion, not for the better. But that's not for me to decide, I only stop by here once in a while.
 
CrazyShanker
What I want to is what were the "ranks" before WC3 came out.
 
Magic
AA7 more or less covered it there, though made it overly dramatic. A few vital details were missed out, but it's broadly right. Everything is prone to interpretation, so take his history with a bit of salt.

I don't believe CC is as strong as it used to be, but that's also down to interpretation. I hope it gets better, but some assholes out there push my patience.

Only two parts I disagree with:
-Desler didn't "kill" the entire community: that's grossly unfair. His actions were brash, but he simply didn't want some of his work available AFAIA. A small request to abide, surely.
-The 'poetic justice' he mentioned of Desler. I swear (Wait for it), anyone who actually hates him for leaving the community to tend to his dying mother is a f**king c**t.
And that's putting my anger lightly.
 
MantisScreamer
I never knew that TheDownwardSpiral and Dragoon were staff here. I know that Dragoon posts at STF and I've seen TheDownwardSpiral around before.

edit- archive this.
 
TheAvenger
CrazyShanker wrote:
What I want to is what were the "ranks" before WC3 came out.
They were Starcraftish. I remember Renewed-Hero, Privet. Acknowledged Veteran (Or something of the like) And a few others that I can't remember because I never got more than 300 posts.
 
AA7Dragoon
His mother is dying? I did not know.

True the CC community is not as strong as it used to be, but that is because the custom community in general has taken a big hit (and I just got peanut butter on my keyboard typing that. Argh this stupid sandwich has been nothing but trouble, just four minutes ago it spilled jelly all over my white dockers! Argh!!!) I think in terms of now, the CC community is doing quite well and is seeking to become stronger. For some reason, WarCraft custom map making and modding just never received the same impact as StarCraft.

And there was only two major shocker images ever posted at Campaign Creations. The first was by Vivi, where he posted a gay image of a man spreading his butt cheeks wide open. Surprisingly, he was never banned. And then Magic showed his arse in all its glory, woof!

I would say the largest thread that ever existed was Desler's "Whoa" thread. I believe it received well over 250 replies of various images depicting the phrase "whoa."

CC forum trends included: Whoa, Political Parties, Communist Revolution, Photoshopping Phun, Forumer impersonations, and various others.

There were several political parties which included: The Cheese Party (started by Mr) which lost to the Yogurt Party (started by AA7Dragoon) which fought with the Chaos Legion (started by Mac Chaos) and won. But then the Yogurt Party split off into a couple other groups including Matt's "People's Party"

Several months ago TPCnet was big. Everybody played on Matt's server. Then when it went to battle.net it still was strong but has fizzled out as forumers have seem to have lost interest in playing multiplayer WC b.net.

Palin, Matt and I are technically the oldest forumers here. Spectrum, Skywing and Downward Spiral are older than myself, however, they have had very long periods of inactivity over the years.

Palin was already a V.I.P in the first forum and Matt's original forum name was slim_shady.
 
Deveron
When I came here, I was a spamming bastard with the nick 'Jesk_3'.

Now I'm just a spamming bastard with the nick 'Deveron'.

Yay.
 
Magic
AA7Dragoon wrote:
His mother is dying? I did not know.

Aye, so you can see why I feel even more strongly over it. At least he's getting to say goodbye to his, though it's still painful seeing her gradually go.

I remember the thread- Joel was asking what to do with TWC after Desler had been gone for months, then Desler actually showed up and explained things. After great sympathy from the regulars there, I think there were a bunch of people who posted really harsh stuff, simply because Desler has a history of leaving and coming back for this - a frikkin' hobby.
If the TWC forum was working, I'd look up what was said and whom by.
 
AA7Dragoon
In that case, his situation with leaving World Crafters is understandable and I sympathsize with him.
 
JasonienXXI
AA7Dragoon wrote:
And there was only two major shocker images ever posted at Campaign Creations. The first was by Quirrif, where he posted a gay image of a man spreading his butt cheeks wide open.


Wrong, sir. That would be the bitch known as Vivi. Quirriff already has a bad enough name as it is, he doesn't need this as well.
 
AA7Dragoon
Vivi? I could have sworn it was Quirriff.

EDIT: I have made the corrections about Desler and Quirriff. It would be really nice to have veterans expand on the history of CC. If possible, we can merge all of it together to create one big knowledge of database to almost everything CC did project and community wise.
 
Shelf of Justice
Actually, I wasn't VIP on the first forum, as the first forum had no VIPs. I simply helped people sufficiently on the first forum and harassed Ravage! (who was staff at the time) enough that I was given VIP status when the second forum hit.

I've been discussing the state of the community for a while now with various folks, and I'm trying a few different ideas to get things moving around here. The main thing missing from War3 modding is really an Antioch--it really inspired a great deal of the original StarCraft modding stuff. Something akin to that--a professional, Blizzard-quality campaign could well give this community the kick it needs. Unfortunately, such a campaign is not for me to make, nor do I foresee much of anyone currently making stuff pulling it off.
 
AA7Dragoon
You mean there was a different forum before I joined? So there has been 7 in CC's existence?

A couple years ago there was a long period of a cold war between Campaign Creations and Infoceptor. There were even threads started between both forums attacking each other. Many CC forumers (including myself) considered ourselves superior to Infoceptor in terms of maturity and so forth. Infoceptor was nicknamed Naziceptor.
 
Mattz
Quote:
I would say the largest thread that ever existed was Desler's "Whoa" thread. I believe it received well over 250 replies of various images depicting the phrase "whoa."


Not true! NOT true! Largest thread ever is held by ME. (Three Word Story thread)
 
AA7Dragoon
Thats right! I forgot about that one. How many replies did it have?

That thread was very popular I remember.
 
TheAvenger
Mattz wrote:
Quote:
I would say the largest thread that ever existed was Desler's "Whoa" thread. I believe it received well over 250 replies of various images depicting the phrase "whoa."


Not true! NOT true! Largest thread ever is held by ME. (Three Word Story thread)
I remember somebody started one about Starcraft and Sex that got over 150 posts. I do remember the Whoa Thread. But anyone remember the awesome thread Des started- "Why don't you all post a picture of yourself?" (May not be the exact words but thats the idea.) That was the thread I will never forget. We got some of the best pics ever posted in that thread. Everyone got into that thread. It was the BEST THREAD EVER.
 
Mattz
AA7Dragoon wrote:
Thats right! I forgot about that one. How many replies did it have?

That thread was very popular I remember.


500+ replies.
 
SigmaMagnus
The first mod site that I ever went to was SClegacy. It was before it stopped hosting mods. I remember when Dragoon left SClegacy and went to cc. I came to CC a few months later, and I didn't go on the forums until a year later.
 
Insane
Didn't either of the first spamming spree threads get bigger than Whoa? The first one crashed the forums and the second one was begun (by me) to celebrate the changing of the forums by spamming the heck outta the old one.
An interesting part of CC history that hasn't been mentioned yet was SLAM radio. A net radio station that played some anime-music, some (most?) of which was used in campaigns. That's what brought me here in the first place, my first thread ever being titled "Wah! I can't hear SLAM radio." The good, helping people of CC greeted me with great advice of how to solve my problem "Quit whining, newb!"
Meh. I more or less left and sought refuge at the Infoceptor forums when Desler brought CC down. That's my main forum now.

EDIT:
Oh gee. And I can't believe I just left out the Trade-off Story. That was one huge thread too. One of those forum story threads which was somewhat saved from falling to the inane rambling, that those things usually do, by Robert Frazer and me, and some other people like Chewbacca. Instead we turned it into an epic.
Another memorable story-thread was Jimmy the Zergling, and the sequel Jammy the Zergling. Sadly, I accidentally deleted my copy of those, but I was able to recover Jimmy from some helpful forumer. I'm still at a loss of Jammy.
 
SigmaMagnus
I remember that, Insane. Slam Radio. That was only 3 years ago methinks. I got winamp for that. Insane, do you remember the story thread a long time ago where you were one of the main writers? You, TPC, and Maglok wrote most of it. It had the Desler Building and it was literally about the CC forum. Lavarinth was in it too. Back when he had a defiler avatar. He ate some forumers and there was something having to do with forumers dying because lavarinth ate them. Does it ring a bell? I know that this is very fragmented. If anyone has the entire story, send it to me in an e-mail.