WUB WUB WUB (aka: HotS Spoiler Thread)

User avatar

Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Dread » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 pm

RazorclawX wrote:Generally the feeling I get from the HOTS campaign is the gameplay is quite good, but the story, not so much. If you enjoy playing it that's where it's worth alone. The thing is you kind of have to turn your brain off toward the story.

Totally the case. If you sort of supplant the story here, suspend any notion of finely connecting all of the nuances from prior games. Hey, it's not that bad an experience.
- - - Dread

User avatar

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Canada, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby UntamedLoli » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Mr. wrote:
Krazy wrote:I do think it's quite possible to enjoy this campaign. But I sometimes feel like I'm the biggest fanboy on this site at this point so there you go.


You're not the only one. I actually enjoyed the WoL campaign. Yes, every aspect of the story was retarded, but I enjoyed playing it, anyway. I haven't picked up HotS yet, but I will, in a week or two. I was actually hoping to hear an opinion from someone who doesn't hate everything, so thank you.


I really felt like almost all the missions were the same. They really enjoyed arbitrarily sticking you on the clock. Some of the missions were even exact copies of WoL ones. You either had a base with a hatchery/pool/some other building to tech up from or it was just your hero and some other random units you pick up on the way. Even though most of them are B&D they took out pretty much all of the base management and made Hatcheries just have a 6 larva cap.

Storyline tech was also the most cheaply done thing ever. They took out all of the researches and you are left with upgrades for weapons and armor. They then stuck most them into a choice of 3 for a limited selection of your units or picking between 2 permanent mutations of a single unit. The most retarded of all had to be needing to choose between Vipers and Brood Lords. Majority of the choices felt really poor to the point that you didn't even have a choice or you could just play around them (abilities) by not being lazy and be better off for it.

Playing on brutal was actually getting a bit annoying because of the limited tech you have when the enemy has everything. Like only having Zerglings and Queens against everything short of advanced air including campaign upgrades depending on your first choice. You really don't even unlock everything until pretty much the end of the game. There was very few parts of the game that actually gave me any trouble unlike WoL.

Storyline wise it felt it didn't know what it wanted to be just like WoL. There were so many moments that are really best described by Mesk as "No Metzen no! Don't do it!". It's like, they are told someone can and will do something and not to fall for it but they fall for it anyways. In the end you are left with this feeling of disgust. The entire story was triggered and run by one of these events.
Image
Image

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Lavarinth » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Mr. wrote:
Krazy wrote:I do think it's quite possible to enjoy this campaign. But I sometimes feel like I'm the biggest fanboy on this site at this point so there you go.


You're not the only one. I actually enjoyed the WoL campaign. Yes, every aspect of the story was retarded, but I enjoyed playing it, anyway. I haven't picked up HotS yet, but I will, in a week or two. I was actually hoping to hear an opinion from someone who doesn't hate everything, so thank you.


Working on it.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:49 am
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Krazy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:09 am

The brood lord / viper choice was more than slightly dumb, I definitely agree with that.

User avatar

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Whiplash! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 am

Thoroughly enjoyed both the campaign and single player, + already got masters on the korean server :p
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Lavarinth » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Krazy wrote:The brood lord / viper choice was more than slightly dumb, I definitely agree with that.


Why? It's a Mutalisk mutation. It could only mutate one way.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Dread » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Whiplash! wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed both the campaign and single player, + already got masters on the korean server :p

Is there any benefit to placing on the Korean gateways for you? Is it just to have more of a challenge? Do you just test your mettle there and then sweep every other server for fun?

Here I am taking a leisure pace through at something like mission 10. I'm having a lot of fun at this point. Stim-pack Hydralisks for everyyyyything!
- - - Dread

User avatar

Topic author
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:55 am
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby wibod » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Dread wrote:
Whiplash! wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed both the campaign and single player, + already got masters on the korean server :p

Is there any benefit to placing on the Korean gateways for you? Is it just to have more of a challenge? Do you just test your mettle there and then sweep every other server for fun?

Here I am taking a leisure pace through at something like mission 10. I'm having a lot of fun at this point. Stim-pack Hydralisks for everyyyyything!


He lives in inferior Korea and does commentary for gomtv I think.
Image

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Lavarinth » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm

wibod wrote:
Dread wrote:
Whiplash! wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed both the campaign and single player, + already got masters on the korean server :p

Is there any benefit to placing on the Korean gateways for you? Is it just to have more of a challenge? Do you just test your mettle there and then sweep every other server for fun?

Here I am taking a leisure pace through at something like mission 10. I'm having a lot of fun at this point. Stim-pack Hydralisks for everyyyyything!


He lives in inferior Korea and does commentary for gomtv I think.


Clearly he and Hercanic hang out on a daily basis.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 1595
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:19 pm
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby RazorclawX » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Lavarinth wrote:
Krazy wrote:The brood lord / viper choice was more than slightly dumb, I definitely agree with that.


Why? It's a Mutalisk mutation. It could only mutate one way.


Well, for one thing you couldn't mutate a Corruptor if you wanted to (not that you actually need it or anything).

And perhaps more importantly, Brood Lords are completely useless in the campaign.
Image
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future

User avatar

Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB (aka: HotS Spoiler Thread)

Postby Dread » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Lavarinth wrote:
wibod wrote:He lives in inferior Korea and does commentary for gomtv I think.


Clearly he and Hercanic hang out on a daily basis.

Oh, I see! So Hercanic, V, and Whiplash are master-level StarCraft II competitors now? Jeez. That's incredible!

:P

It didn't dawn on me that I could see people on different regions on Battle.net now.
- - - Dread

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby Lavarinth » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:58 pm

RazorclawX wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:
Krazy wrote:The brood lord / viper choice was more than slightly dumb, I definitely agree with that.


Why? It's a Mutalisk mutation. It could only mutate one way.


Well, for one thing you couldn't mutate a Corruptor if you wanted to (not that you actually need it or anything).

And perhaps more importantly, Brood Lords are completely useless in the campaign.


Unfortunately I managed to beat the campaign using pretty much Hydralisks.. I'd lose a lot of them, but they'd pretty much steamroll since you could always have excess minerals and gas. Though, keep in mind I just powered through Normal to get through the story. So, we could say almost all units are useless.

I do agree, however, that the Brood Lord was the lesser of two options.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Canada, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB

Postby UntamedLoli » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Lavarinth wrote:
RazorclawX wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:
Krazy wrote:The brood lord / viper choice was more than slightly dumb, I definitely agree with that.


Why? It's a Mutalisk mutation. It could only mutate one way.


Well, for one thing you couldn't mutate a Corruptor if you wanted to (not that you actually need it or anything).

And perhaps more importantly, Brood Lords are completely useless in the campaign.


Unfortunately I managed to beat the campaign using pretty much Hydralisks.. I'd lose a lot of them, but they'd pretty much steamroll since you could always have excess minerals and gas. Though, keep in mind I just powered through Normal to get through the story. So, we could say almost all units are useless.

I do agree, however, that the Brood Lord was the lesser of two options.


I was playing on Brutal. All of the missions were doable with Raptor Zerglings/Abberations. Nothing would get stuck on each other and just rip everything apart. If there was any air you could just kill them with Kerrigan or add Hydras, Hydras just added more raw killing power because they were uncontested for movement. It was brainless.

Viper/Brood Lord was retarded because every other mutation in the game was about adding new capabilities to an existing unit. Not forcing you to pick between 2 entirely different units. Even the Hydra was a choice between Light+Splash or Armored+Single for the Lurker, also lol Impaler Colonies. Majority of the units were already entirely worthless because the maps don't let them play to any of their strengths.
Image
Image

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB (aka: HotS Spoiler Thread)

Postby Lavarinth » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:13 pm

They couldn't just call them sunken colonies, could they...
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: M͈̙̞͍͞ͅE̹H̨͇̰͈͕͇̫Ì̩̳CO̼̩̤͖͘
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: WUB WUB WUB (aka: HotS Spoiler Thread)

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm

I used brood lords a little bit. They were very expensive when roaches were the most cost effective unit in the game by tremendous leaps and bounds. Roach/hydra with kerrigan buffing them and 1shotting or disabling everything threatening made most of the combat a joke until the last mission. However, Brood lords were very useful for the hybrids in the narud temple mission because the hybrids would sit there attacking mustaches and die helplessly.

I thought cliff zerglings/butter would be useful but they very clearly mapped around the potential of abusing any of them. Figures.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.


Return to “StarCraft II Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests