Armageddon Onslaught - Released!

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Armageddon Onslaught - Released!

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 pm

It has been a long time coming. The conclusion to my ten years of modding Starcraft. And here it is!

[youtube=720,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ2vM9opVUg[/youtube]

Armageddon Onslaught is a proof of concept and a technical demonstration. Pitting 7 Terran and Protoss players against a single computer-controlled Armageddon race, the battle for survival begins! AO 3.0 introduces a wide variety of stunning new effects and mechanics over the old release and should provide a far greater challenge. Included is a test map placing control of Armageddon's units in the hands of the player to see them in action in a controlled environment.

It is with my greatest regret to inform you that I was forced to release the mod with the unknown end-game crash still unsolved. Schizophrenia has crippled my ability to work on this mod and a lot of things didn't get added or finished that I wanted done. I had several testers including Baja put significant effort into trying to find the cause of the crash. I am very sorry. This will most likely mean that a full game cannot actually be played as it will almost always end in a crash.

Note that attempting to use any of the abilities on Armageddon's units in the test map WILL crash and are unrelated, since the AI doesn't use them.

Armageddon Onslaught was planned to have a variety of things that never made it in. A 500x500 unit, the Tiamat, remains in testing stages without a weapon or a proper graphic. Several individuals had said they'd make me some better maps, and they did not. Shadowflare said she could fix the playlist plugin that was goofing up with Firegraft, but did not, so there is no custom soundtrack save the odd bits that preatormike made and the odd other track for defeat/victory. I was going to make a CGI intro, but my hardware limited me too much. poiuy_qwert was working on an iscript expander, but hit a wall in the final stages of completion. I was going to have p_q make victory conditions for defeating TGD, but the crash made me decide it's not worth troubling him over it. A lot of polish didn't make it in. My battle with schizophrenia has not gone well, and AO suffers most because of it.

I thank all of you who put time into this project. Included in the package is a detailed credits list and more information about the mod and the concept. I've included both my test map and my gameplay test map. I had originally planned to include difficulties but later deemed it redundant as the AI doesn't really adhere to the timings as it is.

I hope you can find the time to enjoy AO for what it is. A lot of work went into this project and despite its shortcomings I believe it puts to rest my modding days with something worthy of being remembered. I've included my entire directory of iscript code to help budding modders understand how AO's units work. May I create a better incarnation in Starcraft 2 that will do everything I had dreamed of doing and more.

Strike the earth!

www.doack.campaigncreations.org/AO3.0.7z[url=http://]http://[/url]

What happens now?

With AO's release I will fade away from the spotlight. My role as a point of drama and excitement in the community is to draw to an end. Although I will still hang around, I don't plan to be as flamboyant or public about my activities. I think the biggest lesson of the past ten years was the lesson that addiction to hype and publicity is a drug and it's lethal when you get addicted to it. Almost all of my mods have succumb to broken promises and weakness as an individual.

AO is my last major mod for a long time. I plan to make the real thing in Starcraft 2, but who knows how long it will take for me to get my hands on that game. For the time being I'm going to take a very long needed break and sit back to smell the roses. I think I've earned a bit of respite. Maybe I'll work a bit on the Captain Planet RPG or even Project Loli, both projects I backburned when AO was resurrected.

I am going to be withdrawing from most of the forums and communities I once visited, although I've done most of that already. With the battle against Schizophrenia becoming more and more difficult, I feel that I have stretched myself too thin to prepare myself for a future with Starcraft 2.

But I will always be here in heart, in soul, and in flames of the forge of creation.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Armageddon Onslaught - Released!

Postby Whiplash! » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Cool, lets try to get some people online and play this sometime.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FlyingHat
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Postby FlyingHat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:Strike the earth!

Haha!

You've finished an unforgettable job here, and I look forward to the RPG.
ImageImageImage

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:33 pm

See Baja's post if you downloaded the mod previous to this post.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Postby bajadulce » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :)

Now let's all play some games!  We've been playing some "compstomps" mods on weekend mornings (Pacific Standard Time).  Seems that's the best chance to get all of our crew spread all over the globe to mesh timezones.  Compstomps are always fun to play against mods because of the big difference in skill level and/or intimate knowledge of mod.

Anyways.  Awesome job, and thnx for including AO's iscript building blocks.  A lot of modders will get a ton of use out of studying these examples.

As for the downgrader bug, it came about by trying to accommodate e-installers, no-cd setups, all while trying to keep it below 10mb.  So the 1.10 multiplayer UDP crash slipped through the cracks.  I've updated the program to 1.16.1.e which fixes this issue.  The downgrader that was included in STF (1.16.1.b) had game template issues with UDP/lan/Himachi etc.  hence the 1.16.1.c update.  1.16.1.e should take care of this last straggling bug.  .... well until Blizzard releases v1.17 :o

Thnx for the support and look forward to playing some great Ai battles.
Last edited by bajadulce on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 am

The main package has been updated with the fixed downgrader.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:36 pm

I do recall that issue with STF, was quite frustrating. Nice to know it wasn't a permanent issue.

I played this last night over LAN with two friends and, well, four comps as allies. Needless to say after four games, we lost. We tried hard, as I explained that I would buy us all dinner if we won. (I was that confident in Isk's work, hah.) Then I doubled by offering twice the amount, then nearly tripled.

We lost each game, however two were total defeats, two were crashes late game. None at the same time, seemed to happen by having something on your screen occur, not sure.

Also, saving crashed me, hah.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 pm

yeah saves will crash you... not really sure why, though. Maybe the save data can't handle the shit from the limit expander? Not sure.

I played a few games with Baja and a guy from SEN. One game ended in total defeat from the Destroyer killing us all, two we won, one crashed.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Postby Lavarinth » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:00 pm

So correct me if I'm wrong, but did you mention once the more it kills the more it spawns?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:53 pm

AO tends to act more aggressively when attacked, that's just the hardcoded AI actions at work.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

bajadulce

Postby bajadulce » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Thnx for the games.  I need to play more Starcraft and more mods! 

Now that I have the full version, maybe I can find some time to look for that mind boggling crash again.  Interestingly enough, I have a 1 hour ZvZ replay that plays through without any problem and every unit is created as far as I can see without a hitch.  Is it possible that maybe one of the Terran or Protoss is the actual culprit?  Maybe you should try playing some games with just a Terran or Protoss ally for a few times.

Speaking of replays,  If you make any future changes to your zip package, the replay I linked below or something similar would be  a nice bonus.  Not many ppl will live this long to see AO in its full swing.  When you're playing the mod, you're too busy fighting for your life to really just sit back and enjoy the show.  A nice replay of either comp vs. comp or a bunch of dudez getting shafted is always easy to watch and quite entertaining.

popcorn time.  ;D
ZvZ Katrina.rep

GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Postby GreatGodSajuuk » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 am

So now we know that The Great Destroyer wants his clan to have group pics after the raid...
And that the air units dislike the idea.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:18 am

The terran actually crashed before but I fixed them (never found the exact cause), this crash seems to be related to something on the screen and doesn't crash everyone at once all the time.

/edit

I've determined that I'll be working on Project Loli in my offtime. For those of you who wanted to know more about my d2 project, expect future posts and information.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Aegis
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Postby Aegis » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm sorry I didn't follow this sooner.  I'm gonna download just to see what kind of ass kissing (considering mine will be the one being kicked) I'll be doing. :P
Crap, dung, and everything that stands alone...

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Seems like Butchers (big snake dudes) still have goofed up buttons in the map - selecting them can and will crash you.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Return to “The Doackendium”