Psychoanalyzing at its best.

A collection of past threads worth keeping for the community to read.
Kaoru
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Psychoanalyzing at its best.

Post by Kaoru »

Wow. Nice job on re-vamping the site, guys!
I...I don't know what I thought I'd find, here. I was digging through old Starcraft files - some of them maps and things I downloaded ten years ago, or so, now - and just...thinking about the death of Battle.net, the fall of Staredit.net. You know.
Depressing stuff like that.

I mean, sure, I'm in college now. Not doin' too badly either, if I do say so myself, though, like anyone, I could be doing better. My life has moved on, and other things have filled the holes Starcraft used to. But...I still remember, mmm?

I still remember logging in, late at night, and spending a few hours with my friends fighting off hordes of ravening undead in that old Zombie Hotel map.
I still remember helping to playtest LOTR v. Laurelin.
I still remember fighting for a spot in a Final Fantasy III game.
And I remember the contests, and I remember the clans, and I remember the roleplay.

And I remember the community I left behind.

So I look back every so often, wondering how they're doing. Battle.net is at an all-time low, and ...well, last I checked, things here weren't going excellently, either. But I guess I checked back too early, last time. Because you folks have just done a fan-damn-tastic job sprucing the site up.

...Thank you. I never got very involved in the community here at CC, but I loved everything you did, not the plural 'you', either, no, I loved Razorclaw X and The Oracle and Desler, dear god I loved Desler. Gabe, and Joel, and all the rest, as well. You were...a part of my younger life. A treasured part. You brought me joy in boundless amounts during some of the darkest parts of my earlier years. And I never really properly thanked you for it.

I'm sure a lot of people didn't.

...I'll stop rambling, now. I...I just...cannot express what I felt, when I saw CC, shining, new, and ready for action. However much or little action it may get, with the tact Blizz has taken towards modding...but whatever.

So. For the last five years or more, I've had two or three S.C. installs on my machine, and 1.07 hasn't gotten the action it's deserved, lately. I went to all of the trouble of setting it up, and I haven't played it in a while. So...

I was wonderin', and, I realize this might be better off in the Starcraft section, but...

Do any of you folks still have the rare 'Vision2x.exe' file? Not the standard one, and not the memgraft patch. I had it, ages and ages past, but I had a lot of things ages and ages past, that never made the jump between the many computers I've travelled since then.

If not...well, that's cool. In the spirit of this place's rebirth, I...
Am going to set aside several thousand dollars worth of next-generational gaming equipment, in favor of a few things that have brought me more joy for far less money. Like the Vision series, maybe - that's always a nice place to start. I actually gave away my XBox 360 to charity, folks, but I'd never give up the Vision series, not for ten thousand dollars, not for a hundred thousand. (Though I'd be tempted.)

Thank you, all of you, again. Thank you for building and being part of one of the most wonderful communities I have ever met - both the Battle.net one, and this forum community. Thank you for bleeding, sweating, crying over your creations until you had masterpieces that people could go back to, down throughout the years, until the files themselves degrade from overuse.

Thank you. And take care. I'll see you all soon.
~Kaoru
Last edited by Lavarinth on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Oh, god, I missed you guys.

Post by Marco »

Always nice to hear a letter of thanks.

Sore wa domo, Kaoru-san.

You can certainly look forward to more creations from authors in the future.  We may have all grown up, but I think that only means that what you will find in the future will be all the better than our past creations.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
agentheart
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by agentheart »

i wonder how many people will die when sc2 comes out
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

I wonder how many people have died waiting for SC2 to be annouced.
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Creators' hearts will always remain young.

Thanks for the kind words, Kaoru. Appreciated.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Do you have an old name we might remember you by?
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Kaoru

Post by Kaoru »

This is the old name. Like I said, I never really got involved in the forum-culture, here. I was known on Battle.net as GameMaster5001 (About seven-ten years ago), and then...KaoruNagisa, for the remainder of my stay. Many, many years. I doubt too many of you knew me. But I stand by my words that you influenced me and gave me quite a few wonderful things, and not just mod campaigns, either.

So, nobody's got any idea where the Vision2x.exe file might be, huh?
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

RCX probably knows. And hello! Those were the days indeed. The awesome thing is almost every single one of those veteran campaign creators is planning stuff for SC2 already. 8)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Vision2x.exe, that'd be the old StarGraft patch, right?  I've got a copy of it on a backup disk, PM me an e-mail address and I can send it to you.  But I think StarGraft is incompatible with WinXP though (or was that just StarDraft?  It's been a while since I touched either of those programs), you might be better off downgrading SC to 1.10 and using that newfangled MemGraft patch.
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Kaoru wrote: I doubt too many of you knew me. But I stand by my words that you influenced me and gave me quite a few wonderful things, and not just mod campaigns, either.
Did I make you gay?
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Kaoru

Post by Kaoru »

AA7Dragoon wrote:
Kaoru wrote: I doubt too many of you knew me. But I stand by my words that you influenced me and gave me quite a few wonderful things, and not just mod campaigns, either.
Did I make you gay?
Well, something sure did...
:P
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

AA7Dragoon wrote:
Did I make you gay?
Nice quote. Now AA7 can go hide in the shadows again for another few weeks. 8)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Magic

Post by Magic »

Kaoru wrote:
AA7Dragoon wrote:
Did I make you gay?
:P
Ruaquick1?

Now there's a long, crazy story...
[b]- Magic[/b]
"[i]Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash! Be water my friend.[/i]" - BL
Kaoru

Post by Kaoru »

Magic wrote:
Kaoru wrote:
AA7Dragoon wrote:
Kaoru wrote: Nestedquote is nest~ed
Did I make you gay?
Ruaquick1?