Dark Swarm (working title)

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Dark Swarm (working title)

Post by Legion »

Yeah, you're one of the few who's got the Alpha-alpha-crap version. :D Rejoice.

Update

A minor update. I've been working on some maps, but nothing too important. Time to reveal the first important characters in Dark Swarm.

The Overmind - He who needs no explanation.

Cerebrate Grasque - A loyal Cerebrate of the Swarm, friend of the junior Cerebrate (the player). His hatred in the Terrans is eternal, though he's intrigued by their scientific tinkerings.

Vail Sterling - An ex-Confederate Ghost, assimilated by the Swarm. Sterling used to be a formidable assassin, but now serves as a powerful agent of the Swarm. (UNIT RESPONSE SAMPLE ATTACHED)

More to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Legion on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Marine »

Nice hero with Vail, yet another ghost to become infested hehe. Is there going to be a custom brood for your Cerebrate?
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Bit short to actually get a feeling for the voice to be honest. Good that your making progress though.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Marine 382BB wrote: Nice hero with Vail, yet another ghost to become infested hehe. Is there going to be a custom brood for your Cerebrate?
Yes, there is, presuming that 'your' Cerebrate means the player's Cerebrate, and not 'my' (as in Legion's) Cerebrate.  ;)
Maglok wrote: Bit short to actually get a feeling for the voice to be honest. Good that your making progress though.
The voice will be like this sample. :D His voice is not very special in that the editing wasn't an arduous undertaking. Just a sort of Kerrigan-like voice, but on a male.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

New Update:

Things are going great - at least, with the campaign. I'm currently working on the third mission, which is an installation mission. Making an installation mission is difficult, making a good installation is arduous. :D
The story is better so far than it was before, and the characters are developing well. Soon I'll post some screenshots and maybe a sound sample or two.

The thing I'm currently working out is consistency. This campaign takes place right before the original Starcraft, but it's not very easy to make a fitting / consistent campaign that does not interfere with the original story and runs for only a few missions. I must 'create' reasons why the events covered in this campaign are never referred to again.

The beta release suffered from stupid bugs and a lame story compared to this. I've learned a lot from just the two responses I got from guys on this forum.

Expect more soon.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

CONTESTANT IS APPROVED- SUFFICIENT UPDATES.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Update:

Finished up to mission 4 -- work on the fourth map will commence soon.

I've added two screenshots from Map 3 (the Installation) and a screeny from the basically very simple Map 4.

In addition, you're invited to listen two sound samples. One is Sterling, the other's a Cerebrate.

-Legion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Legion on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

I'm liking that ghost sound, cerebrate is alright. Are they final?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Mantis wrote: I'm liking that ghost sound, cerebrate is alright. Are they final?
Yes, they are. Thanks.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Update

Sorry for the delay, but here's the next update.

Things have been busy for me. My job is taking up a lof of my time, right now. I've done some 'refurnishing' in the campaign, and I've been doing a bit of script-writing.

I've tried a bit of this, tried a bit of that, but modding isn't my thing. For a person who finds triggering quite an arduous undertaking, I think modding would be just a bit too much. I've finished the unit response set for Vail Sterling, and have reinvented some of the voices to make them sound more original. Some of the voices I used were a bit too much 'attempted copies' of Starcraft voices, but I've changed that (save for the Overmind for obvious reasons).

Also, and this is a more a question for you guys, I've noticed that my missions are mainly just 'one-outcome' missions. There are no bossfights or different endings. Does that bother people? Nowadays, every campaign uses these things, mods, Ghosts firing lasers, colored text, etc. I was wondering, would a normal straight-forward Starcraft campaign perhaps be a bit too boring?

-Legion
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by Revan »

No.

Some can make good voices, some can make complicated triggers, that's about it. Don't worry, mate, your campaign won't suck compared to the others. And no, no one will blame you just because you don't have colored texts.
Signature can be found here.
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

I agree with what Revan said.

In addition, I would like to point out that for me, the most important aspect of a campaign is the story. In my opinion, having a good story is the main reason why LotC and certain other campaigns is so successful. They are so well told, that enough people find them interesting you can post a thread mentioning names like Ra'Chek or Drake and everyone here knows who they are.

A story needs to be interesting, and its events will pull one deeper and deeper into the plot, so that you really want to know what happens in the next mission.

Of course, having some nice audio helps (which you really have by the way), as does formatted text (which is rather easy), and some other tactical variety. But all these are merely tools that help to tell and convey your story, having them is not a must.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Thanks!

Okay, I'm currently experiencing some diffuculty getting work-/college-related stuff on time so I'm going to have to turn my attention on that for a while. I am, however, getting close to finalizing most of the terrain / triggering, so my project shouldn't suffer too much.

I will post some of my recent work soon. =)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

UPDATE REQUIRED BY MARCH 3RD
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Dark Swarm (real) BETA released

Post by Legion »

Hey everyone,

I'd like you to download the zip file found on http://sc.campaigncreations.org/legion and play my campaign "Dark Swarm".

Feel free to post any bugs and / or comments, as is this is still a BETA version. Seeing as how I've been a total slacker when it comes to updating, I felt the need to hurry up. :D

Cheers.
Last edited by Legion on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.