sequel to resurgence - VERY BAD VOICING

(December 27th, 2007 - March 24, 2008)
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

sequel to resurgence - VERY BAD VOICING

Post by chris »

ok, this is a 3 mission sequel to resurgence I made 4 years ago, long before I had internet access.
DO NOT MOCK THE VOICING! PLEASE! I KNOW ITS HORRIBLE!

Actually, I would appreciate it if anyone here could tell me how to make people say stuff without it being obligatory to import a sound file.

[LINK REMOVED, ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A BETTER VERSION]

I know its not going to win but at least I will be contributing to this great website and the legacy of SC by submitting this

How to run:
simply same maps into your resurgence folder and load SC using the resurgence exe, then choose map 11.

Starcraft will never die!
Last edited by chris on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: sequel to resurgence - VERY BAD VOICING

Post by Lavarinth »

You have a substantial amount to work on this and make it better if you want. If you [think] "VERY BAD VOICING" will bring down your project quality, then don't include voicing or ask it to be redone.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Marine »

Lavarinth wrote: You have a substantial amount to work on this and make it better if you want. If you [think] "VERY BAD VOICING" will bring down your project quality, then don't include voicing or ask it to be redone.
Hah. I was just about to say the exact same thing with the bad voicing. If you preview one of your voices and think they're horrible then have a pro. or someone that is good at voice recording do it.
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
chris

Post by chris »

This was done back in the old days when all I had was the basic 8-bit windows 98 sound recorder.

anyway, how can I remove voicing all together? should I just feed staredit an empty sound file?

edit: voicing aside, what do you think about the maps and triggers? good, right?
Last edited by chris on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zilla-"]
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Revan
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by Revan »

What do you mean by feeding staredit with an empty voice file? If I'm right your problem is that in order to use a transmission trigger you have to use a wav file. If that is, then it's pretty simple. In most cases mappers use the transmission wav file. I's a very short sound. Just open up stardat.mpq and extract it from the sound/misc/transmission.wav. Insert it into the transmissions and you are done. ;)

Edit: or just download this attachment, and you can get rid of the voicing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Revan on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature can be found here.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Or you could just delete the WAV...  ::)
- - Lavarinth
chris

Post by chris »

Revan wrote: What do you mean by feeding staredit with an empty voice file? If I'm right your problem is that in order to use a transmission trigger you have to use a wav file. If that is, then it's pretty simple. In most cases mappers use the transmission wav file. I's a very short sound. Just open up stardat.mpq and extract it from the sound/misc/transmission.wav. Insert it into the transmissions and you are done. ;)

Edit: or just download this attachment, and you can get rid of the voicing.
I'll be doing that. Thanks!
[quote="Zilla-"]
[/quote]
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Hey, played it and I'd say leave the audio for now. The maps are fun, but I'd recommend making your own stuff instead of making a sequel to a fanmade expansion. =)

By the way, it's not really not that hard to make the voices of characters sound different, even IF you don't know anything about sound editing. Oh, and never use first takes. ;)
Marine

Post by Marine »

Honestly dont do voicing until you have done it a bunch of times and dont speak directly into the microphone, and remember if you do voicing you have to literally be the character you talk about like a Zerg Cerebrate doesnt go "Yuck! A breeding room they're breeding hybrids!" like you said in your second map i was like.. what is this? You didnt sound evil enough and you can just tell plain off the bat how many troops you'll get like in the first one, just say "We cant get a large amount of minions threw to the platform so you'll only have a small amount to find Duran."
chris

Post by chris »

Marine 382BB wrote: Yuck! A breeding room they're breeding hybrids!"
lol. I was 14 :P
Legion wrote: I'd recommend making your own stuff instead of making a sequel to a fanmade expansion. =)
Sorry, but the days of having nothing to do whatsoever are a thing of the past. I may have time to fix the terrible voicing and add a few more doodads here and there but thats about it.
Last edited by chris on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zilla-"]
[/quote]
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Marine 382BB wrote: Honestly dont do voicing until you have done it a bunch of times and dont speak directly into the microphone, and remember if you do voicing you have to literally be the character you talk about like a Zerg Cerebrate doesnt go "Yuck! A breeding room they're breeding hybrids!" like you said in your second map i was like.. what is this? You didnt sound evil enough and you can just tell plain off the bat how many troops you'll get like in the first one, just say "We cant get a large amount of minions threw to the platform so you'll only have a small amount to find Duran."
Well you can speak into a microphone, but if you do you should note two things. Firstly you'd need a pop-effect, little screen that stops puffs of air from P-like words. Secondly I recommend a studio of stage mic, studio preferred, NOT a headset, these mics are also more expensive and require some technical setup though.

I started VAing I think 8 years ago when I was 15, my voice was pretty crappy because well... you know you grow into a more mature voice. It's laughable to see a 15 year old try to sound like some imposing general, it's a hard rule but you just gotta grow a more mature voice. I like to think I did. :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Marine

Post by Marine »

Oh I use to always move the microphone to the side of my face and talk that way it wouldnt get the puff of air.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Exactly, it's the way to go if you don't have a pop-effect, then again a pop-effect retails for about 10 dollars. If you speak directly to your mic you lose less of your performance, still not speaking in directly without a pop-effect is a good soluion. :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Exactly- I highly know what disadvantaged to speaking to the side. It was "the thing" to do 5-7 years ago.. But now a days you're better off with screens.
- - Lavarinth
chris

Post by chris »

I will be replacing the voices in the campaign with the trasmission.wav file. I'll also be fixing the triggers and seeing how I can make the campaign look cooler. If I don't finish this weekend I'll probably finish the weekend after or if I am really squezzed, the weekend after that.
[quote="Zilla-"]
[/quote]