lol am I crazy?

Moderator: Milldawg

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

lol am I crazy?

Post by Whiplash! »

For those of you who don't know I'm in college now going for a major in digital media. After college though I am considering moving to South Korea for a few years for a shot at SC2 competative gaming. I've been practicing with SC, but I think that SC2 is where it will be at in a few years from now. Until recently I never thought you could make a living being a professional gamer, but if theres anywhere you can do it, its South Korea. So lol, am I crazy?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: lol am I crazy?

Post by WB »

Shit bitch, you be crazy!
My brother is actually going to SK, will be teaching English there.

"Now, say it with me L-O-L"
"KE-KE-KE"
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Testie could make such a joke out of you, and he rarely ever gets past the first round in any korean event.

SC2 will be lucky to ever get close to what SC has right now, let alone what it had in its prime.

You'll never see the inside of a tournament stadium.

edit - To extend,

Don't get all worked up because of your falsified impressions you can just walk into a communist country, learn their ways, and establish a positive living because you can beat random idiots on battle.net. Then there's the assumption sc2 will be hugely successful in korea - what if it isn't? Wc3 wasn't. There is nothing to guarantee sc2 will get anywhere. You definitely won't get anywhere in the original, what makes you think you'll even stand a hope in hell of going anywhere in 2? Do you have any remote clue of what Koreans do to get as good as they are? Use your goddamn head for once in your life.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Doctor Doack wrote: Testie could make such a joke out of you, and he rarely ever gets past the first round in any korean event.

SC2 will be lucky to ever get close to what SC has right now, let alone what it had in its prime.

You'll never see the inside of a tournament stadium.

edit - To extend,

Don't get all worked up because of your falsified impressions you can just walk into a communist country, learn their ways, and establish a positive living because you can beat random idiots on battle.net. Then there's the assumption sc2 will be hugely successful in korea - what if it isn't? Wc3 wasn't. There is nothing to guarantee sc2 will get anywhere. You definitely won't get anywhere in the original, what makes you think you'll even stand a hope in hell of going anywhere in 2? Do you have any remote clue of what Koreans do to get as good as they are? Use your goddamn head for once in your life.
qft.

Play the tournaments here if you REALLY want to do tournaments.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

yeah, it doesn't matter where you do it really...
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
wibod

Post by wibod »

Doctor Doack wrote: Don't get all worked up because of your falsified impressions you can just walk into a communist country
South Korea isn't a communist country...
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

There is a minimum 4 year gap between now and then. I already plan on learning Korean in the mean time and I am going to get good in the US before traveling to Korea. It would be one of those things where If I think I had the potential then I would go.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Mantis wrote: There is a minimum 4 year gap between now and then. I already plan on learning Korean in the mean time and I am going to get good in the US before traveling to Korea. It would be one of those things where If I think I had the potential then I would go.
See, there's your problem. You're American, and you're trying to get good in America. I'm not talking about lolamerica kind of American, I'm talking about your thought process. You will never, EVER play nearly as good as a Korean can in any game because of the way you think and operate. Give it up.

Wibod > I was pretty sure South Korea was still a communist country? In either case, it's a very tight-lipped secure kind of country. Not a place for an overfed American cat-wrangler.
chris

Post by chris »

Doctor Doack wrote:
See, there's your problem. You're American, and you're trying to get good in America. I'm not talking about lolamerica kind of American, I'm talking about your thought process. You will never, EVER play nearly as good as a Korean can in any game because of the way you think and operate. Give it up.
dude, a russian almost won the starcraft tournament (I forget which one)
he does stand a chance, if he practices enough.

for starters..... mantis....you might want to practice against doack's supah zerg AI.
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Just so you know, there's an article in PC Gamer about South Korea and StarCraft and their tournaments. Go figure, a bunch of Asians plastered all over the page wearing their sporting gear and short emo hair.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

chris wrote:
Doctor Doack wrote:
dude, a russian almost won the starcraft tournament (I forget which one)
he does stand a chance, if he practices enough.

for starters..... mantis....you might want to practice against doack's supah zerg AI.
You mean Draco?

I'm talking about things like Starleague, not small fry like WCG.

Also, AI cannot begin to prepare you for playing against actual players and not retards.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I have to agree on Mesk on this one.

It's a situation that basically you need to be top expert in Starcraft off the start to have any real hope to participate in such tournaments. Mucky's skills as borderline minimum and as you know Mucky is not a joke.

You need to remember that in South Korea, their gaming tournaments is as serious as the top league hockey on TV or many other common physical sports seen on TV with professional athletes. In other words, the top players put ridiculous amount of time perfecting their skills, reviewing their strategies, planning, searching an opponent's weaknesses and anything that can help them win a high-end tournament just like many renowned sport players would do.

Granted, it's easier for "commoners" overall to pierce in a South Korea tournament compared to become a top sport athlete since luck is less of factor because you are less handicapped from not being born with an exceptional physical body and/or that you didn't train your body from a very young age (as in from 5-8 years old) in addition of other factors I might not have thought.

However, it still boil down to this : either you are 300% serious about it or you are assured to be out. I don't say that you do get in even if you are that serious.

I am sorry but to be blunt and basing on what I saw of your skills in Milldawg's tournament, you simply won't make the cut.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Basically if you're prepared to...

Have no girlfriend.
Have no life.
Live in a sweatshop of gamers.
Get paid with money you have no time to spend.
Make about nothing unless you are in the top players.
Eat and drink StarCraft.
Have your only vacation or days off be one month out of the year, otherwise play StarCraft 7 days a week.
Play for about 14 hours a day.
Be alone.

... Then go get 'em, man!
- - Lavarinth
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: It's a situation that basically you need to be top expert in Starcraft off the start to have any real hope to participate in such tournaments. Mucky's skills as borderline minimum and as you know Mucky is not a joke.
Oh no, nonono.

Even in my prime I couldn't get past the D+ rank on PGTour. PGTour ranks go all the way up to A+, with a - and middle for each letter. And as you might guess, most sponsored players would not be playing on an unofficial ladder.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Lavarinth wrote: Basically if you're prepared to...

Have no girlfriend.
Have no life.
Live in a sweatshop of gamers.
Get paid with money you have no time to spend.
Make about nothing unless you are in the top players.
Eat and drink StarCraft.
Have your only vacation or days off be one month out of the year, otherwise play StarCraft 7 days a week.
Play for about 14 hours a day.
Be alone.

... Then go get 'em, man!
I quality/would gladly settle for virtually all of those besides those bolded.

Too bad I suck.