So, about the campaigns at alkali studios?

BeatMeistro
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

So, about the campaigns at alkali studios?

Post by BeatMeistro »

I been searching around archive to look for old SC stuff.

And i looked around Alkali Studios but noticed that most of the stuff isn't there. Like some of the resources and campaigns.

Like:

-Well, The Campaigns such as "Return of a race", "What if...", "Spiff Wars", Etc.

-It's portraits for example being the edited ones such as "The Punk","The Serge",and "Engineer" (Which most of them are made by Fishbrain. And considering Fishbrain is one the members here, i wonder if he still has those. If he is still actually online.) And custom portraits such as the custom protoss ports made by the mysterious member known as "Blade".

-Other Misc. Modding items.

I always wondered if anyone has these.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: So, about the campaigns at alkali studios?

Post by Lavarinth »

Who are you and what are you doing here?

How does anyone even remember AS? That was my baby. An evolution of its prior site Ashworld's Lava, and the father of GameProc (now Isk's domain) before our eventual merger into Star Alliance. I was the admin of AS and Return to a Race was my project, alongside other ideas I had spinning around there. Quirriff, TS116, Gemini, and others were involved there, some are here but not as active or have since stopped visiting CC but are involved in community events or general contact.

I honestly can admit after the merger with Star Alliance, I left responsibility of that content to Magic. As good of a guy that he was, his methods were... Not the best. Most of that content is probably lost after he opted to randomly delete a lot of subdomains out of the blue then attempt to recreate his site into something else. I may, MAY have some content in older drives still stored somewhere, or perhaps even on CC somewhere. I do recall at one point redownloading all the portraits off of Star Alliance, which included ones hosted originally on Alkali. My tutorials and articles were lost entirely in the transition as they were never published on SA. They were related to using BinEdit, portrait color modding, PCX modding, and creating custom loading screens. Somewhere I also had a zip file that contained an array of generated sound effects to use for the backgrounds of units in the event someone wanted to create custom voices. That one might still be around, if not on CC's servers somewhere.

Overall, I can't speak for the others, but I can say the one campaign that did push through was Life of a Marine by Gemini. I could perhaps try to drag them over here and see what they know of their projects if they even recall them. As for RtaR, I honestly am not able to recollect what happened. I had a custom MPQ complete, vocals were mostly complete with a lot of cut/pasting of various words to generate new lines from pre-existing characters, and Maglok had created an entire sound track for it, which I still happen to have somehow. It was about six maps, and one was revisited which required minimal map design. The triggers were all near-limit, though, so it was chuck full of likely nothing too exciting as my constant thought was "this isn't good enough, this is bland, this is boring," but I pressed on. I had SuperEric make a custom Arbiter sprite that I still have the GIF of, which I based a campaign contest out of a few years ago. Everything aesthetically speaking was complete. Map design was sub-par, but 'ok', and I simply can't recall what happened. It makes me almost think I must have the files SOMEWHERE as I am not immediately making an excuse of losing them to some hard drive crash. It's also likely I had left them on an old computer and it was given away to family. But I have a few drives I can sift through once I get an IDE external enclosure.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
BeatMeistro

Post by BeatMeistro »

Lavarinth wrote:Who are you and what are you doing here?

How does anyone even remember AS? That was my baby. An evolution of its prior site Ashworld's Lava, and the father of GameProc (now Isk's domain) before our eventual merger into Star Alliance. I was the admin of AS and Return to a Race was my project, alongside other ideas I had spinning around there. Quirriff, TS116, Gemini, and others were involved there, some are here but not as active or have since stopped visiting CC but are involved in community events or general contact.

I honestly can admit after the merger with Star Alliance, I left responsibility of that content to Magic. As good of a guy that he was, his methods were... Not the best. Most of that content is probably lost after he opted to randomly delete a lot of subdomains out of the blue then attempt to recreate his site into something else. I may, MAY have some content in older drives still stored somewhere, or perhaps even on CC somewhere. I do recall at one point redownloading all the portraits off of Star Alliance, which included ones hosted originally on Alkali. My tutorials and articles were lost entirely in the transition as they were never published on SA. They were related to using BinEdit, portrait color modding, PCX modding, and creating custom loading screens. Somewhere I also had a zip file that contained an array of generated sound effects to use for the backgrounds of units in the event someone wanted to create custom voices. That one might still be around, if not on CC's servers somewhere.

Overall, I can't speak for the others, but I can say the one campaign that did push through was Life of a Marine by Gemini. I could perhaps try to drag them over here and see what they know of their projects if they even recall them. As for RtaR, I honestly am not able to recollect what happened. I had a custom MPQ complete, vocals were mostly complete with a lot of cut/pasting of various words to generate new lines from pre-existing characters, and Maglok had created an entire sound track for it, which I still happen to have somehow. It was about six maps, and one was revisited which required minimal map design. The triggers were all near-limit, though, so it was chuck full of likely nothing too exciting as my constant thought was "this isn't good enough, this is bland, this is boring," but I pressed on. I had SuperEric make a custom Arbiter sprite that I still have the GIF of, which I based a campaign contest out of a few years ago. Everything aesthetically speaking was complete. Map design was sub-par, but 'ok', and I simply can't recall what happened. It makes me almost think I must have the files SOMEWHERE as I am not immediately making an excuse of losing them to some hard drive crash. It's also likely I had left them on an old computer and it was given away to family. But I have a few drives I can sift through once I get an IDE external enclosure.
I happen to be newcomer to the modding scene. But also i have been researching on old starcraft modding sites on my spare time, and then i happen to stumble upon it and gotten a lot of interest on what ever happened to the site. I do enjoy looking up that sorta stuff.

Especially with the campaigns and content that (were/may have been) left in the dust.

And i apoligize on not introducing myself proper, i have kinda a bad habit of popping up out of nowhere in some forums.
Also i'm not that great with first impressions.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Fishbrain... there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

It's possible my old spinup backup drive might have some SA portraits from Cynon and co on it. Unfortunately I doubt I have anything from AS...
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

I'd totally forgotten about Alkali Studios being a thing, but now that you mention it I do remember Lav's old website. I think I've got a copy of Spiff Wars somewhere, but there should be a copy floating around somewhere here I think. Much to my surprise it's not on Church's giant Campaign List.

I think SA's portrait collection is still intact, at least I remember it being the last time I was over there, and admittedly that's been a while.
BeatMeistro

Post by BeatMeistro »

Thalraxal wrote:I'd totally forgotten about Alkali Studios being a thing, but now that you mention it I do remember Lav's old website. I think I've got a copy of Spiff Wars somewhere, but there should be a copy floating around somewhere here I think. Much to my surprise it's not on Church's giant Campaign List.
I think SA's portrait collection is still intact, at least I remember it being the last time I was over there, and admittedly that's been a while.
Interesting. I guess you might search that if you have the time.
IskatuMesk wrote:Fishbrain... there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

It's possible my old spinup backup drive might have some SA portraits from Cynon and co on it. Unfortunately I doubt I have anything from AS...
I've searched around and recall there was a few mini-mods made by him.

I'm guessing from SA too,it was a print page. Also thinking about it... Wasn't the Terran Ascension mod originated from there as well?
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

I don't have the energy to check the SA site right now, but I have all of the portraits from there saved onto my computer, if the original downloads are broken. That includes all of Cynon's - that dude was nuts, he had more than three times as many portraits as anyone else made. Digital Wizard was an appropriate title.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I found Cynon's portraits, they're on a work in progress page for portraits, that was last worked on in 2007. Alongside a few other names:

Custom Protoss portraits:

A folder I simply labeled "Port"

I also found some document titled "CC.txt" and it has nothing to do with CC.

Here's two paragraphs of it because it was a fun read, though it continued onto CC itself up to six years ago.

I joined Campaign Creations as a meager wanna-be in the late 90's, I would have to say early 1999, though the exact date I am not sure. I simply recall Rudder leaving soon after my stumble onto this site. I had sent in my application for my acceptance into Campaign Creations staff straight to Desler, with my fogged thought of perfection thinking it was a shoe in with my incomplete project. Days later I received an apathetic rejection later and my childhood tantrum rose (rare) and brought the vindictive personas out. I literally set out to create a competitive site in hopes of one day winning over Campaign Creations and calling it my own. My launch date: 9/9/99; the name: Ashworld's Lava.

A pitiful site, housing old names such as TS116, War`Giant, Conquerer and myself. WG's Epoch Studios, a small modification site soon fell into AWL in hopes of helping it grow, and his talent in graphic design led to hosts of new layouts. It wasn't until months later that I gave into the thought of a forum (I feared the lack of content would make me realize the lack of a community I had). It went well, however. Soon after we went for a shorter, catchier name and dubbed ourselves Alkali Studios with self-proclaimed rivals Star Alliance being our main competitor. Always.. Always AS vs SA. Well, that "feud" lasted until War`Giant's connection with AEN led to their vacuuming into out site and relabeling ourselves once more to GameProc.

- - Lavarinth
BeatMeistro

Post by BeatMeistro »

Lavarinth wrote:I found Cynon's portraits, they're on a work in progress page for portraits, that was last worked on in 2007. Alongside a few other names:

Custom Protoss portraits:

A folder I simply labeled "Port"

I also found some document titled "CC.txt" and it has nothing to do with CC.

Here's two paragraphs of it because it was a fun read, though it continued onto CC itself up to six years ago.

I joined Campaign Creations as a meager wanna-be in the late 90's, I would have to say early 1999, though the exact date I am not sure. I simply recall Rudder leaving soon after my stumble onto this site. I had sent in my application for my acceptance into Campaign Creations staff straight to Desler, with my fogged thought of perfection thinking it was a shoe in with my incomplete project. Days later I received an apathetic rejection later and my childhood tantrum rose (rare) and brought the vindictive personas out. I literally set out to create a competitive site in hopes of one day winning over Campaign Creations and calling it my own. My launch date: 9/9/99; the name: Ashworld's Lava.

A pitiful site, housing old names such as TS116, War`Giant, Conquerer and myself. WG's Epoch Studios, a small modification site soon fell into AWL in hopes of helping it grow, and his talent in graphic design led to hosts of new layouts. It wasn't until months later that I gave into the thought of a forum (I feared the lack of content would make me realize the lack of a community I had). It went well, however. Soon after we went for a shorter, catchier name and dubbed ourselves Alkali Studios with self-proclaimed rivals Star Alliance being our main competitor. Always.. Always AS vs SA. Well, that "feud" lasted until War`Giant's connection with AEN led to their vacuuming into out site and relabeling ourselves once more to GameProc.

Well, this is quite fascinating, Hmmm... The Hybrid and good ol' FaRTy is also on that list too, and that's kinda a chin-stroker since the hybrid makes custom ports like the animated SC Beta biker portrait and other such interesting things... I ponder what Mill and Sickel made though...
Fishbrain

Post by Fishbrain »

Oh wow. I just came here to dig up some old bones but I didn't actually believe to find someone mentioning my name after, what, 16, 17 years?!

Anyway, if anyone's still reading this, I'm afraid I don't have any of old stuff left. To be honest I barely even remember making that stuff. Heck, I only remembered Alkali Studios when you guys mentioned it. :-D

Damnit that really was a long time ago.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Thalraxal wrote:I'd totally forgotten about Alkali Studios being a thing, but now that you mention it I do remember Lav's old website. I think I've got a copy of Spiff Wars somewhere, but there should be a copy floating around somewhere here I think. Much to my surprise it's not on Church's giant Campaign List.

Oh, geez. I totally forgot about digging up that copy of Spiff Wars.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Fishbrain wrote:Oh wow. I just came here to dig up some old bones but I didn't actually believe to find someone mentioning my name after, what, 16, 17 years?!

Anyway, if anyone's still reading this, I'm afraid I don't have any of old stuff left. To be honest I barely even remember making that stuff. Heck, I only remembered Alkali Studios when you guys mentioned it. :-D

Damnit that really was a long time ago.
Need to change your name to F!shbrain, if I recall correctly.
- - Lavarinth
Fishbrain

Post by Fishbrain »

Yeah... please don't hold that against me. I think I was 15 at the time. :-D