LP Update/Comment Thread

The source for all things IskatuMesk and then some. From projects, to articles, and even Let's Plays- it's all here for the taking.
Jee-Host[gm]
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Re: LP Update/Comment Thread

Post by Jee-Host[gm] »

Thank you!

Oh, it's been how many years now? But proving one's viking STRENGTH seems to be a theme of every year in some respect or another )))

Anyway, looking forward to upcoming productions, regardless of however long/short they'll take. At least with your stuff I'm more or less certain I can watch it without quitting in the middle, unlike 99% of the media these days. Expansion of horizons, tony wouldn't have it any other way ^_^
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Neat story for you all.

HKS gave me his sound card when he replaced it in the last few weeks. The sound card is known to have some issues, like potentially causing lots of crackling and having a port that didn't work for him (yet mysteriously worked for me). Fast forward two weeks and I finally run into some bizarre issue that ultimately causes my sound to explode and computer to freeze.

In an effort to isolate potential instigators, we discovered my AC3Filter was using some default setting for Dolby ProLogic instead of 2/0 (standard speaker settings). Dolby ProLogic is trash that runs extra filtering crap. HUGE filtering crap. Like, it was COMPLETELY changing the audio for EVERYTHING video related.

In an upcoming release I was super concerned about boss audio being very distorted, and it was particularly bad in a segment I had just verified. I went back after correcting the setting and literally 90% of the noise is gone.

It has likely been YEARS since this for some reason was set up this way and I have been unknowingly fighting a futile fight against it with my compressor thinking it was my compressor producing these results all along.

God I feel retarded.

It means I need to go back and re-verify a ton of stuff, redo a billion audio tests, and re-think how I've done audio for a very long time. Most notably off the bat, my mic audio is much too loud in the Guild Wars recordings.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

I wonder how many of us have broken sound filters running with no knowledge of their existence.

Time to check my drivers!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Long story short, I can't even switch back to the old sound card if I wanted to. I tried. I pretty much spent the entire day trying. The piece of shit wouldn't even register properly on windows despite so many reseats and, when it finally did, it just bsod when I tried to play something in foobar anyway.

Half the time the computer doesn't even boot, it just hangs out in "starting windows" screen doing nothing. Best guess is it's having issues powering the USB devices because they don't light up during this case. If they light up it pretty much immediately starts. The PSU/mobo or something like that is probably really showing its age. Some day it just won't start and I'll just be out of a computer for good.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

nicememe.png
ha.jpg
Dark Souls 3 is now available. Review pending as usual.

Priorities shift to catching up on editing work for the time being, then I will continue casting Guild Wars and several smaller projects before eventually continuing my DMC3 VH run.

So far I haven't had any more major hardware issues crop up since a whack of bios and windows petering but the looming threat of a colossal hardware-related roadblock has shaken my resolve to commit to large projects until I can be assured I will not get wilson'd in the middle of my work by a BSOD or whatever. To this extent I have committed all of my waking hours to recreating situations that lead to BSOD's in the past trying to provoke another, and so far, thankfully, without success.

/edit

NEAT ♂ STATISTICS

DDDA running length - 45 hours
D:OS running length - 72 hours
DKS3 running length - 75 hours

we have a winner I think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Everyone asking about the dks3 review -

The last several weeks have been 35-40C+ and smoke everywhere. If that isn't bad enough I've also had to do yard work in that. So, I've either been incapacitated due to heat or just too tired to give a fuck to bother processing the review yet.

Hopefully temperatures will drop in the coming week and things will get back on track then, which is when I'll finish it up.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

"""yard work"""

harvesting weed to smoke and sell, good on ya
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

gotta feed myself somehow!!!!!!!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

As it has been nearly two years since I last heard from Oracle, I have decided to publish the two-hour video I created for him that discusses Starcraft 2, Starcraft 2's art tools, and many related subjects such as porting and remastering. It is an extension of the original Art Tools primer video I made a while ago and goes into my actual porting process for Lineage 2 graphics to explain some more advanced concepts. This video was initially created to introduce him to the conventions and limitations of Starcraft 2's graphics as well as serve as a baseline informational piece for artists seeking to create or bring existing assets into the game for his project. This video was created prior to when I was hired for technical work in Starcrafts, so my knowledge in the related tools isn't as advanced as it is today, but should be more than enough for anyone looking to work with the game's graphics.

As far as I know this video was never used in any shape or fashion, and I have given him more than long enough to establish some kind of followup on it. The content is therefore now public for anyone interested in the subject matter as the original author has made his lack of interest in continued communication more than clear. This video and its content was created before I signed an NDA, so it is isn't covered under that NDA.

The amount of times I've had people just go silent on extremely important and time-sensitive subjects is utterly staggering, and only reinforces the mantra to never involve oneself with other people. Hopefully someone else is able to make use of the work I put into making this presentation.

This video may be found in the Educational section of Gameproc. I also put the original art tools primer video in that section as well.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

DKS3 review up.
Jee-Host[gm]

Post by Jee-Host[gm] »

Okay, so I've sat through rectally painfully long DKS3. Needless to say - the game seemed like a 99% copy-paste of DS. Starting from every single animation and assets and finishing with effing sword of storm intended to kill a specific boss which, as with DS, you didn't use and I was even more happy for it. In short - I wish you weren't touching this pile of horsesheize to appease Mucky or w/e, but instead turned your attention to a mentioned Nier automata (although that also seems like a clusterfuck/fetish gaym at first glance). The gameplay of DKS is so unengaging in my opinion that I found myself having to do "multitasking" (i.e. workouts and such) in he process just to keep my attention and not be bored about what's going on on the screen. Much like you noted in the review - the game seemed to restrain you as a player (regardless of "skill") as opposed to providing entertainment. And despite some relative good points - that was exactly that - relative. And we all know that there is always a worse shit to find for a comparison that would make a current one seem not that bad. Unfortunately for this particular title I don't feel like there is a silver lining. If we have to think in terms of "they don't use X gimmick" (such as QTEs) to find something "good" to say about a game - it really doesn't belong on the market whatsoever.

Holy damn, bro, dirt ain't a lard - it dries up and falls off. Sadly, this game ain't dirt - it's flat out japanese jizz. Oily, disgusting "sticky white stuff", as DS adequately put it.

I bow to your patience and yield the remainder of my time ^_^
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Jee-Host[gm] wrote: If we have to think in terms of "they don't use X gimmick" (such as QTEs) to find something "good" to say about a game - it really doesn't belong on the market whatsoever.

That is literally the only thing holding the game industry together. "Well at least it isn't Call of Duty". "Well at least it isn't No Man's Sky". "Well at least it isn't Diablo 3". Then you've really got to ask, is this actually a market?

I haven't seen anything about Neir that looks encouraging yet, from being riddled with irrelevant minigames to featuring the american tried and true open world RPG talent system levelup rubbish. I'd sooner do a Skyrim run if that's what I am going to play, because at least then I can break everything with Japanese horse mods.

On a somewhat related note, health problems put the future of everything in question, so we're back in stress city and nothing is getting done.
nu1x
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by nu1x »

You could play the new Shadow Warrior 1 & 2 to cheer you up. Also the new Doom maybe.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

HKS gave me a doom key he had gotten from a GPU so that is on the to-do list eventually.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

IskatuMesk wrote:HKS gave me a doom key he had gotten from a GPU so that is on the to-do list eventually.
Doom was pretty good besides the canned punching animations.