Starcraft HD Remastered

BounceHimUp
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Re: Starcraft HD Remastered

Post by BounceHimUp »

I've always done my modding on Mac, so everything has always been about working around not being able to graft stuff in the first place. It's not a great limitation, but it always kept things simple when Blizzard would patch the game.

One of my concerns with the remaster is what format the new graphics will be stored in. If we're lucky, they're just bigger and better GRPs... updating my Critter Campaign will only involve repurposing the new files and then taking new screenshots of the doodads to pretend to make good-looking buildings out of.

The big concern with modding, I think, is whether any old iscript editing will work. I'm optimistic, just because Blizzard claims to be keeping the same game mechanics, and the performance of the game is heavily tied to the mechanics that are handled by the iscript. But I seem to remember IceCC having to use an older version of the iscript that leaves out some inconsequential bug fix, and if Blizzard tweaks something important in there, probably the most powerful modding tool becomes useless.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I'm fairly sure the new Portraits are not using Smacker tools anymore, but I haven't looked into it that closely.

The old stuff still uses the old stuff.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

I don't have the newest version of the PTR so apologies for any incorrect information -

The new portraits (and cinematics and the animated campaign buttons in the menu) use .webm. GRP is now '.dds.grp' so it sounds like it's just basically a .grp that uses .dds instead of .bmp, which is cool I guess.

The game seems to not be using .pcx at all anymore and has fully switched over to .dds for splash screens etc. (Also, screenshots now save as .png instead of .pcx, thank god.)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Wait, the PTR patch for SC1 (not the remaster) is converting the files? Here I thought you guys were chatting about the remastered edition.

Guess this might probably do away with color palette limitations.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

If blizzard actually releases some sort of modding tools I'd be happy to update my campaign to the current version, I believe the firegraft patch for AoD wasn't even on 1.16 heh.

If we at least have the modding capabilities of before + the new blizzard campaign screens, theres the option to have our own high res updated graphics as well which could be neat.

I'm a fan of them updating the graphic file types as well, I imagine this fixes graphical glitches like you mentioned Lav.

Lets not forget we get matchmaking though, I'm curious if they will use the SC2 system or something more akin to the iccup/fish servers D- through S ranks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Blizzard is never going to release modding tools. The only way you're going to see modding is if the current tools are updated for it, which there isn't really much demand.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Whiplash! wrote:blizzard
modding tools
Pick one.
Ardis
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Ardis »

I've thought about reviving my Starcraft mod from time to time, but this might be just the thing I need to tip the decision one way or the other.

If modding does happen for Starcraft Remastered, with or without Blizzard's support, I just might have motivation to finish it this time around. I've been developing the setting (new ships, better written and easier to understand backstory, rules for all the futuristic tech) in preparation for a space combat game I've been making elsewhere.

Higher resolution sprites without nightmarish color limitations makes it VERY tempting.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

So Blizzard 'officially' put out the free Brood War and it is naturally a buggy mess.

Think twice before updating your 1.16.1 Starcraft. In fact, back it up first.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

RazorclawX wrote:So Blizzard 'officially' put out the free Brood War and it is naturally a buggy mess.

Think twice before updating your 1.16.1 Starcraft. In fact, back it up first.
I've seen a few UMS have bugs but no crash outs so far; haven't tested mods or conversions yet but a few of the micro-patches are cleaning up UI problems.

Also, good Day9 rant on Remastered:
[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP9F-AZezCU[/bbvideo]
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/s ... remastered

Lol pre-purchase to unlock skins for the Command Center, Nexus, and Hive.

[quote="AA7Dragoon"]
No homo.
[/quote]
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

A regional/factional variant Command Centre? Makes sense. A Zerg Hive specially adapted to Char? Alright. The Auir Nexus? All Nexus are warped in from Auir, ergo all Nexus are Auir Nexus. They should've made it a Judicator Nexus, or Conclave Nexus or something as an excuse for why it's extra sparkly. Or, heck, they could've gone for a silver theme and say it's a Shakuras Nexus.
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Welcome to its gateway into micro transactions.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Rocco wrote:https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/s ... remastered

Those are some ugly fucking photoshops holy hell.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

IskatuMesk wrote:
Rocco wrote:https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/s ... remastered

Those are some ugly fucking photoshops holy hell.
Yeah. The Command Center and Nexus at least keep the general colour aesthetics of their respective races, but the Char Hive is going to stand out like a sore thumb in a Zerg base. Also kinda concerned about the readability of those buildings. I'm really not sure what's player colour and what's not.

From the looks of the system requirements, I assume that SC1HD is going to be just like all the modern Blizzard games and have an always-online component. I wonder if there's going to be just as many barriers to custom singleplayer content for this as there is for SC2.