https://starcraft.com/en-us/
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Starcraft HD Remastered

Post by IskatuMesk »

Allegedly it's backwards compatible with the current version of sc. Which likely means not much has changed in the data structure and governing elements with sync, like iscript. This is bad news for modders hoping for some kind of advancement. Additionally, since the remastered version will be on b.ent 2.0 and very likely will use CASC, it's likely to feature the same aggressive CRC checking and disabled folder hotloading that sc2 and co have. Given these two, it is quite possible you may see that mods, even ones as trivial as custom buttons, are impossible. I guess it will remain to be seen.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I'm honestly hoping it comes with StarEdit. <3
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Korean interview with Mike Morhaime said that they're working with suicidalinsanity (maker of SCMDraft) to make the new editor.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

They're apparently making the game free this week to go with the 1.18 patch. We'll see just how much stuff is about to break soon enough.

Actually come to think of it, they may not be able to do a CASC conversion unilaterally because every Starcraft map is an MPQ itself. Not unless they're blatantly going to come out and force everyone to convert their old Starcraft maps at least.
-- Razorclaw X
Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Enkidu »

IskatuMesk wrote:Allegedly it's backwards compatible with the current version of sc. Which likely means not much has changed in the data structure and governing elements with sync, like iscript. This is bad news for modders hoping for some kind of advancement. Additionally, since the remastered version will be on b.ent 2.0 and very likely will use CASC, it's likely to feature the same aggressive CRC checking and disabled folder hotloading that sc2 and co have. Given these two, it is quite possible you may see that mods, even ones as trivial as custom buttons, are impossible. I guess it will remain to be seen.
Are you saying the old "free" versions of starcraft are gonna be unmoddable or the HD remakes? :sweat:
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The remake. However, they are patching the old game, so that could break a few things (like firegraft).
Actually come to think of it, they may not be able to do a CASC conversion unilaterally because every Starcraft map is an MPQ itself. Not unless they're blatantly going to come out and force everyone to convert their old Starcraft maps at least.
That's possible, though they may just support both. I guess we won't know for sure until it's out. It supposedly works with old replays, but those are a different thing.
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

Awesome!!! I AM EXITED AS HELL.

Where it all begins... AGAIN!

Only worries, as Iskatu said, could be incoming infunctional modding tools like Firegraft. Basically the death of nearly all the good custom campaigns. :fear:
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Eredalis wrote:Awesome!!! I AM EXITED AS HELL.

Where it all begins... AGAIN!

Only worries, as Iskatu said, could be incoming infunctional modding tools like Firegraft. Basically the death of nearly all the good custom campaigns. :fear:
Except Life of a Marine, which was created in the default editor with no mods. Talk about future-proofing.
- - Lavarinth
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

So I downloaded the Starcraft PTR.

As a test I grabbed the Mekani Firegraft from Moddb posted a few posts ago and it works just fine in StarEdit, but doesn't appear to work on Starcraft itself. At least, not in its current form.

Keep in mind I've NEVER used Firegraft before so I know nothing about how to use it or how it works.
-- Razorclaw X
blazin
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by blazin »

Don't worry, those firegraft patchs i made did not take any effort to make, since i also have no idea how to
use firegraft at all; so of course it'd have any issues

though i have played the entire campaign in 1.16.1 with it and it worked almost perfectly.
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

Firegraft is basically a program which combines MPQ Draft and WinMPQ.
You can easily create your own selfrunning exe files and customize even your exe icon.
You can also edit some things, that normally required more third party tools like TBL Pad or Dat Edit, for example.

It is so to say a interface, which is more up-to-date than all programs before.

/e
From the official site: (Stormcoast Fortress)
(Warning: This post is from 2007!)
Firegraft is HERE! After over 2 years, I have completed a stable and suitable release version. For those of you who don't know, Firegraft is a modding program that is a successor for both Stargraft and Memgraft. It allows for editing of certain memory aspects such as the button sets and the tech tree. However, that's not the limit of what Firegraft can edit. In a controlled way, Firegraft allows modifications of many previously untouchable aspects of Starcraft. With things like the number of spidermines to the amount of time a unit is in stasis, from the ability to set multiple peons constructing a building to reversing the effect of recall, Firegraft allows for greater freedom in creating modifications.

Some of the features in this version:
  • Current support for version 1.15, meaning modifications can be played on battle.net.
  • A 'smart' button preview which updates based on the currently editing button.
  • PAT Importing. Old Stargraft patches can be directly opened for editing.
  • Requirements are done radically different. No more track bars. Now you can see exactly what it is in just a glance.
  • Button sets automatically rearange and count themselves, removing the two most common grafting problems.
  • Over 230 different editable values from the executable.
and many others.
DiscipleofAdun updated Firegraft some months later to the current version of Brood War at that time, which was 1.15.1 or even 1.16. Can't remember anymore.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Yeah. Right now I'm REALLY curious how the old mods would act with the remastered material which is what's motivating me right now.

I realized a long time ago that our modding tools for Starcraft were very version-specific and would bite everyone in the ass someday which is one of the reasons I stopped using it (the other is I filled an MPQ to capacity with the Mekani campaign which kind of pissed me off).
-- Razorclaw X
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Took a huge hit when StarDraft became an issue with Windows 98's release. I know they were basically simply SEMPQ, and extracting into folders worked, but I'm a lot of individuals reconsidered using tools at that point.

Worse yet, while the remaster will support LAN, that doesn't mean it won't require version verification via Battle.n-err.. Blizzard Launcher(? What is it even called now?)
- - Lavarinth