Something New?

Moderator: Milldawg

Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Something New?

Post by Enkidu »

I want to try something new, in terms of video games, but I wanted to ask you guys about it and voice your advice and opinions on this. I am trying to gain access (eventually) to a massive sci-fi online-based mmorpg space sim known as EVE Online. It looks cool to me, but I wanted to know if you guys have any advice on how to play, if you've played it before. :-\
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: Something New?

Post by Revolta »

It's pretty difficult to get into at this point since everything is so concrete and established already, newbies are generally very frowned upon/cast aside from what I know as the community is too focused trying to gain money through conning other players.

If you want to try something new, just torrent whatever top steam games there are each month and see if you like them.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I've heard Awesome Possum is a really good game. You should get a Sega Genesis (which has Blast Processing) emulator and try it out.
Schwa
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by Schwa »

Oh god Awesome Possum and oh god Eve Online. I know someone who had to get up at like 4am (ish) for when the servers came online again after maintenance so they could conduct their raids and blow up people's shit while no one was looking. He also called it the Spreadsheet simulator.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Revolta wrote:It's pretty difficult to get into at this point since everything is so concrete and established already, newbies are generally very frowned upon/cast aside from what I know as the community is too focused trying to gain money through conning other players.

If you want to try something new, just torrent whatever top steam games there are each month and see if you like them.
>OP offers to pay a subscription for a game.
>Reply states to just torrent top games anyway.

Great.

Also, completely false information. I somehow feel you have little to zero experience on EVE. As someone who dumped too many hours on a free 30 day trial, I was happily accepted and got pretty damn far in that time. I suggest Enkidu delve into EVE if he's interested, it's fun- but definitely on the complex end to START playing. Just remember skills are gained by real-time cooldowns, not by in-game actions.

So, thanks anyway for the information?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Lavarinth wrote:
Revolta wrote:It's pretty difficult to get into at this point since everything is so concrete and established already, newbies are generally very frowned upon/cast aside from what I know as the community is too focused trying to gain money through conning other players.

>OP offers to pay a subscription for a game.
>Reply states to just torrent top games anyway.

Great.

Also, completely false information. I somehow feel you have little to zero experience on EVE. As someone who dumped too many hours on a free 30 day trial, I was happily accepted and got pretty damn far in that time. I suggest Enkidu delve into EVE if he's interested, it's fun- but definitely on the complex end to START playing. Just remember skills are gained by real-time cooldowns, not by in-game actions.

So, thanks anyway for the information?
Wait, You've played EVE before. Thank you for the info, Lav. I actually didn't know that... Okay, So basically speaking, you can learn new skills in game while you're off-line, correct? Well, that's cool. ;D

BTW, yes Lavarinth, I've heard a lot about EVE's supposed "learning cliff" that's supposedly Steep as hell. I've heard lots of rumors about it already and I guess if I learn through that, I can do anything at this point, given time.

If I remember correctly, it looks something like this...

This looks like it may take a while... Challenge accepted.