Rumors of a Starcraft HD Remaster

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Rumors of a Starcraft HD Remaster

Post by RazorclawX »

People are talking about it, that something about it is getting announced in September.

What is expected is stuff like UI updates with no gameplay changes (presumably make it usable on higher resolutions?).
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Rumors of a Starcraft HD Remaster

Post by IskatuMesk »

I believe they'd been recruiting for something to that extent for a while. One can only hope they don't go about changing stuff willy nilly...
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Just having a different aspect ratio would change the game.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

That would be cool. I'd assumed that the SC HD had long gone the way of the WC3 HD, just with even less to show for it.
BeatMeistro
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by BeatMeistro »

I wonder if it will attract any future modders though. I mean, that might also mean i might need to rework on some things.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

well think of it this way m8

If they change the grp format which is a high probability, it means an entirely new tool must be made after the format is reverse engineered. I think only one person is semi-active for tool dev these days.

If they add directions, iscript will be completely changed and you'll need to reverse engineer that again, too. We were using an iscript tool 15 years old. I dunno if p_q is still active.

New exe means firegraft is now worthless again.

If they change anything at all with transparent overlays that may mean pcx may change, which may mean all image formats in the game will change. If they break away from 256 color palette not a single old graphic will work for the game and they may use garbage like flash. It also means at the very least images.dat may change which could allude to an entire data structure change which means datedit no longer works. On the bright side this would hopefully mean more memory allocation (and thus the ability to add dat entries) but don't get your hopes up.

If they touch portraits SMK is sure to be ditched in favor of some deprecated trash like flash.

In all likelihood the HD remake is a curtain for their efforts to kill Fish and Iccup so they can force those players back onto b.ent or at the very least split the community even further and kill BW's upswing in popularity outside of their """service""", so expect the network to change as well. This will surprise me the most if it doesn't change given how long the old b.ent has languished and how intense their hatred for high-performance third party service is.

Although I never plan to mod any game again, the thought of touching an updated bw terrifies me given how bad this company's track record is, and how horrible "HD updates" tend to be for games (re: homm3, baldur's gate).
blazin
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by blazin »

I agree with IstakuMesk. This might affect the use of the current tools and that's the first thing that comes to mind every time i think about this update.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

You can already add new dat entries. Actually most of sc's hardcode has been reversed at this point.

Odds are we can just use 1.16.1 and ignore 1.17 but if they rewrite the assembly then you're looking at an entirely new game, at which point you're right about pretty much every point you made and the custom content community will have to adapt or stay with 1.16.1.
BeatMeistro

Post by BeatMeistro »

Revolta wrote:You can already add new dat entries. Actually most of sc's hardcode has been reversed at this point.

Odds are we can just use 1.16.1 and ignore 1.17 but if they rewrite the assembly then you're looking at an entirely new game, at which point you're right about pretty much every point you made and the custom content community will have to adapt or stay with 1.16.1.
Well, if the HD Remaster is gunna end up being a different game all together, then it will likely end up the latter.

Which if you think about it, ever since people found ways to expand the .DAT files for SC, mostly stuff like Units, and such.

Though i won't be expecting people remaking their older SC mods anytime soon. Speaking of which, Razorclaw. You have any plans for the matter?
noname
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by noname »

The chinese competetive scene stuck with some older version (1.13f).
As a competetive player I`d like just two changes: the fixing of the the valk`s firing, so the unit doesn`t freeze in certain situtations, missing (way too many) shots. It happens when too many sprites are present in the game. The other would be the usefullness of the protoss scouts, they`d need a better base speed, so it would be a more viable unit.
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

So it's mid of September... Where are the breaking news?
After all, I agree with Iskatu and some others. Every change in view of gameplay will not be SC/BW anymore.
Last edited by Eredalis on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Any news like this could be anytime between now and BlizzCon, to be honest. Or nonexistent at all... But here's hoping!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator