WoS: The Dark Ocean

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

WoS: The Dark Ocean

Post by RazorclawX »

Wanderers of Sorceria X1: The Dark Ocean ~ The Tale of Hokuto

Taking place following the conclusion of Book 6, The Dark Ocean is a short 4-mission* campaign featuring the esper Hokuto, who woke up in 1575 Feudal Japan at the cusp of a battle that changed the course of the country's history. Allied with Vance of the Shrike Mercenaries, Hokuto is haunted by the dreams of a vast black ocean threatening to swallow her very existence.
  • Fight alongside Hokuto and Vance with more useful abilities
  • Battle against foes who love knockback abilities as much as you love using them
  • Enjoy a throwback to an era when Blizzard wasn't owned by Activision
  • Bask in the tongue-in-cheek nonsense in a flavor only Razorclaw X could give you
  • Pad a list to make it even bigger
* Actual mission count may vary.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Re: WoS: The Dark Ocean

Post by Eredalis »

I have already downloaded it yesterday. I am exited as hell... :D
Xeth-Ban
Fired! Blocking the entrance with a “supply fort” is an inappropriate use of company minerals
Fired! Blocking the entrance with a “supply fort” is an inappropriate use of company minerals

Post by Xeth-Ban »

An unexpected but very welcome surprise. Does save data from the main WoS books affect anything in this, or is this one entirely stand-alone? Either way I look forward to giving it a go.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

It's stand-alone.
-- Razorclaw X
Chimto
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Chimto »

Wanderers of Sorceria X1
Does this mean there'll be X2, X3, and so on?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Chimto wrote:
Wanderers of Sorceria X1
Does this mean there'll be X2, X3, and so on?
Calm down, now! :lol:
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Xeth-Ban

Post by Xeth-Ban »

A few bugs that might be a good idea to fix, if you are so inclined:
- The Japanese replacement for the Alliance Knight is named "Calvary" instead of "Cavalry"

- Hokuto's Whirlpool ability can destroy bridges. I don't know if this was intentional, but it means it's possible to completely cut off your own base in Mission 2.

- The Takeda forces in Mission 2 stop trying to attack you after destroying the outlying towers closest to their base. (This was on Hard difficulty, if that's relevant.)

Apart from that, things generally seemed to work as intended. It was fun to play something WoS-related again, especially the final mission.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

That was a fun ride :) Great to see you still have plenty of stories to tell. I would have gotten to it earlier but I was busy replaying the entirety of Book 1-6.

A few oddities with Chaos Wave though. Once, when I targeted an area full of buildings and trees, it failed to move Hokuto and left her permanently paused and invulnerable. Some sort of failsafe may be a good idea. Also, it looks like the Chaos Wave dummy unit can attack with the locust weapon, is it supposed to do that?

In the part with the puzzle pieces I somehow lost one of the #5 type, even the automatic solution seemed to be unable to move it in position. Maybe its teleport messed up and dropped it out of bounds because I was moving a lot of them at once. It was there on reloading an older save.

Radiant Sword... that's a Radiant Silvergun reference, right?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Xenon wrote:A few oddities with Chaos Wave though. Once, when I targeted an area full of buildings and trees, it failed to move Hokuto and left her permanently paused and invulnerable. Some sort of failsafe may be a good idea. Also, it looks like the Chaos Wave dummy unit can attack with the locust weapon, is it supposed to do that?
Chaos Wave was like one of my original custom abilities and I tried to fix it up as much as possible, but sometimes it just works out like you said. There is an alternative version that doesn't use the Dark Summoning effect, but I chose to leave the original version because the alternative version, while much safer against bugs, doesn't look nearly as impressive.
In the part with the puzzle pieces I somehow lost one of the #5 type, even the automatic solution seemed to be unable to move it in position. Maybe its teleport messed up and dropped it out of bounds because I was moving a lot of them at once. It was there on reloading an older save.
Most of the time it's usually because it's near one of the edges and it might be harder to see there. I've never had it where a piece got removed outright.
Radiant Sword... that's a Radiant Silvergun reference, right?
Yes. Obviously not as flashy, but it was seriously overpowered in its original version (just like the actual Radiant Sword).
-- Razorclaw X
SomaCruz20

Post by SomaCruz20 »

Does it necessary to finish book 6 before I play this campaign? I am in the begging of book 6 and now my progress on hold.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I'm fairly certain it refers to things that happen in it.
-- Razorclaw X
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Wanderers of Sorceria X1: The Dark Ocean ~ The Tale of Hokuto Version 1.1 Update

Several bugfixes and graphical updates were made to The Dark Ocean. The fixes include:<
  • Chaos Wave completely reworked.
  • Whirlpool no longer damages destructables (and therefore no longer destroys bridges).
  • Cone of Frost works faster than it used to.
  • Divine Storm now properly roots the Hero in place.
  • General Character model updates.
  • Several of the Invaders look more appropriate.
  • The time-out for the switch puzzle is fixed.
  • Several high-value targets don't deal as much damage as they used to.
-- Razorclaw X
Rocco
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Rocco »

Its been a long, long time since I've played this, its a great campaign. Glad to see you're still putting time into it, I'll have to replay this soon.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Well don't get too excited, the gameplay was almost completely untouched (the bosses doing less damage is more like being more 'fair' about it since it was always difficult to tell where they were shooting at). It's still quite possible to get stuck in the middle of trees (this is more of a failing on the part of the game engine not being designed to handle movement like this which is why I was reluctant to make heavy use of it in the past).
-- Razorclaw X
verb8im
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by verb8im »

Hi Razorclaw! This isn't about Dark Ocean, so sorry for that, but it is a question on the campaign. In Chapter 3 of Book 1, I didn't kill Veranda Starshower, and the Path Branches said that if I don't, she would return for later missions. I'm on Chapter 6, where you assault Castle Arcadia and kill Chika and Ayame and I still haven't seen her. Am I missing something, or will she show up later?