StarCraft Design Groups?

Moderator: Milldawg

Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

StarCraft Design Groups?

Post by Enkidu »

I was curious if there are any StarCraft Design groups out there that make design campaigns and scenarios, as well as maps for StarCraft: Broodwar? I heard rumors but I never found out about any of them. Was the map maker's guild one of them or was that a different group?

Design groups are kinda like groups for example that work have their own website but work with Campaign Creations and design campaigns for Broodwar. They may even be able to host their own content on their website as well. I don't know, I am just assuming that's how it goes.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: StarCraft Design Groups?

Post by IskatuMesk »

Most people work as individuals.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

My own group, Crescendo Entertainment, still exists. We are on moddb here but most of what's there is old and there's hardly anything anyways. I don't have anything else to say publicly about it right now.

I'm not aware of any other groups. Mesk is right - most people just go at it alone.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Church wrote:My own group, Crescendo Entertainment, still exists. We are on moddb here but most of what's there is old and there's hardly anything anyways. I don't have anything else to say publicly about it right now.

I'm not aware of any other groups. Mesk is right - most people just go at it alone.
Crescendo Entertainment? Good name. So, there are practically no design groups for the StarCraft map making community? Okay, I understand I guess. I am surprised though, seeing as how creative we can be, I thought there would be a few out there, but that's alright. I am actually planning on making a possible design group I guess to see how far it would go, but we create not just StarCraft campaigns, but many others as well.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Projects are generally (and appropriately) selfish things. When something can take a minimum of months, commonly years to complete, it is next to impossible to find even a single individual who will commit to it. Therefore, those projects whom are successful are almost without exception solo projects that may have, at most, one other individual semi-regularly contributing. Most projects often time work by outsourcing necessary things (such as VA) as this is usually the only way to get those things but, as I am sure you are well aware, most skills that you need someone for are best learned yourself if you ever hope to get them done.

Personally I can think of only maybe 3-4 people I've met since 1999 I would call dependable for semi-regular contributions in any community for any game on one of my projects, and never did we form an official team.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

IskatuMesk wrote:Projects are generally (and appropriately) selfish things. When something can take a minimum of months, commonly years to complete, it is next to impossible to find even a single individual who will commit to it. Therefore, those projects whom are successful are almost without exception solo projects that may have, at most, one other individual semi-regularly contributing. Most projects often time work by outsourcing necessary things (such as VA) as this is usually the only way to get those things but, as I am sure you are well aware, most skills that you need someone for are best learned yourself if you ever hope to get them done.

Personally I can think of only maybe 3-4 people I've met since 1999 I would call dependable for semi-regular contributions in any community for any game on one of my projects, and never did we form an official team.
Are you saying that design groups are frowned upon or just nobody cares? I'll go for the latter though.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Mostly that nobody cares. Hell, most people don't even post about their projects at all.