StarCraft Campaign Files

Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

StarCraft Campaign Files

Post by Enkidu »

I'm working on something special and I was wondering if it was possible to extract campaign files from StarCraft vanilla and Broodwar? It's for a project I'm working on and I am wondering if it can be done with certain programs without too much hassle. I had an idea about it and I wanted an answer from you guys.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: StarCraft Campaign Files

Post by Revolta »

literally two threads down...

http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/ ... f=4&t=7159
Revolta wrote:Hello sir

First of all, you will need to download SCMDraft 2.0 to open .chk files, which is what the StarCraft campaign maps in the .mpq files are stored as. If you're unfamiliar with that it basically is just a 'raw' version of a .scm or .scx, which removes sound files from the map, likely to save on filesize when compiling all the maps into the final game. You can find SCMDraft 2.0, which will allow you to open and convert .chk files (and is just a better map editor than Staredit in general), here: http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/temp ... -setup.rar

Second of all, I highly recommend you check out some user-made campaigns that feature vastly superior terrain, triggering, dialogue, lore, you name it, than Blizzard's own. Despite what nostalgia would have you believe the vast majority of Blizzard's execution was very, very bad. God-awful. The best they could do was the voice acting and while impressive due to the constraints of the time period, the edits even made certain characters sound insufferable. A 'good campaign' would be better made by analysing user-made content and then separating the chaff from the wheat when it comes to writing a story, e.g. figuring out how to do away with Blizzard's poor execution of the Protoss (space catholics despite being intelligent beyond comprehension? yeah ok). But if you're interested in some of the more technical applications of Blizzard's campaign (Brood War had some decent triggering in certain missions), you can check out this link to an archived .zip that holds all the vanilla and BW maps + sound files for dialogue and the like. Link is here: https://mega.nz/#!1NEXgajR!rzgkrbtXqimO ... pbxvMvmh7E

Finally one of the best ways to improve as a custom content creator is to get into modding and learning the limits of mapping, so if you have any other questions you can ask around or you can email me directly at supermememan69@outlook.com.

good luck
brazil
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Thanks Revolta. I did not know that somebody already had a subject about the same thing. :eegads:
I wasn't paying attention, I guess. My apologies, I didn't know better. :-[
So basically, SCMDraft 2.0 can do the trick... Okay, I understand that.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

I just figured out now that I can't see the .chk files in the main StarCraft directory... I don't know exactly where they were located and I tried looking! And I am using SCMDraft to do this project. Help! :sweat:

What software do I need to extract the .chk files?
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Click the mega link in my quoted post and you will download the .chks