Legacy of the Void (Spoilers Hidden)

Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Legacy of the Void (Spoilers Hidden)

Post by Church »

This post does not contain spoilers

I guess Legacy of the Void is out. I can't afford it right now and the internet here is garbage, so I haven't played it, but I did watch several cutscenes (including the ending) on youtube. I like the animations and choreography but the story seems to get pretty silly in some predictable and also unpredictable ways. It's pretty Metzen, I mean.

Has anyone around here checked it out? Any thoughts?

Adminstrator Edit: Spoilers hidden by Lavarinth in subsequent posts.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: Legacy of the Void

Post by Revolta »

worst
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Animations and choreography are outsourced (re: hots leak) but screenplay and writing are the things Blizzard should be outsourcing but never does. It's amazing how that person has a job.

I suppose I'll have a look at the cinematics.

The voice acting seems a lot better than hots. But I remember hots had extremely weak in-game dialogue because the actors just read blindly from a script with no QA or context. The actual dialogue is, predictably, generic and unengaged. They only take the lowest hanging fruit and don't try to do anything with what little character is left. Bare minimum for any scene.

The choreography is very generic and bland. So much bad. Sooo much bad. The screenwriting here is the worst out of the campaigns by far. The music cues are really cartoonish and overdone at many points.

The graphics are meh. The post processing is cleaner than liberty and hots but there's a lot of lazy everywhere. Clipping and everything that is very easy to avoid but clearly no one was interested in QA. There's things like the reverse jetback Marine exhaust pipes being orange textured but having no actual glow, so they look straight out of the n64. Still a lot of needless lens flares and other holewood douchery.

cool guys don't look at explosions etc

Using a psi blade to illuminate an illuminated cavern when you have glowing eyes

99% of the sounds used in the cinematics are 1:1 commercial stock.
Spoiler
LOL GREAT BETRAYER sup illidan

red means bad

oh god... that ending... loooooooool
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

IskatuMesk wrote:Animations and choreography are outsourced (re: hots leak) but screenplay and writing are the things Blizzard should be outsourcing but never does. It's amazing how that person has a job.

I suppose I'll have a look at the cinematics.

The voice acting seems a lot better than hots. But I remember hots had extremely weak in-game dialogue because the actors just read blindly from a script with no QA or context. The actual dialogue is, predictably, generic and unengaged. They only take the lowest hanging fruit and don't try to do anything with what little character is left. Bare minimum for any scene.

The choreography is very generic and bland. So much bad. Sooo much bad. The screenwriting here is the worst out of the campaigns by far. The music cues are really cartoonish and overdone at many points.

The graphics are meh. The post processing is cleaner than liberty and hots but there's a lot of lazy everywhere. Clipping and everything that is very easy to avoid but clearly no one was interested in QA. There's things like the reverse jetback Marine exhaust pipes being orange textured but having no actual glow, so they look straight out of the n64. Still a lot of needless lens flares and other holewood douchery.

cool guys don't look at explosions etc

Using a psi blade to illuminate an illuminated cavern when you have glowing eyes

99% of the sounds used in the cinematics are 1:1 commercial stock.
Spoiler
LOL GREAT BETRAYER sup illidan

red means bad

oh god... that ending... loooooooool
I agree. 100%.

In short with me: The story sucks, the characters sucks and the gameplay was annoying. It just felt like busy work getting to the ending. Which was not worth it.

I have not really enjoyed a Blizzard game since 2003.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Spoiler
Hey Mesk, did you see much of Alarak? If there's anyone in this game you'll like, it's him (chances are he'll show up in Heroes sooner or later). I guessed right, he's voiced by Q from Star Trek, totally fitting.

To me the plot didn't really get "way out there" until the end of the Protoss missions. The ending to that part seemed anticlimactic to say the least, twice (what, were there only a few dozen Zealots there suddenly? And couldn't they shoot those crystals from orbit?) For some reason the epilogue didn't feel finished somehow, almost like an unofficial campaign, and it did get way, WAY out there... and the climax was again kind of anticlimactic, however that works.

But I'm such a sap for that ending. :P
Hmm... not many comments here at all. Does that say more about the game or this site? :(
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

many comments on other sites suck this games dick all day long so it doesnt surprise me that a typically antiblizzard uiserbase lacks involvement in a thread dedicated to a bad blizzard game
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I mean, we live in an age where people don't think it's actually possible to fail. That "everything" is "art". It speaks about society more than the site or the game, to be honest. A few casual players have turned up to complain to me about the game.

And yeah, I saw that guy in the units. He was one of the few I felt had stronger VA than most of the game so far.
Spoiler
There's also a unit called Ma`Lash which is very, very similar to Mal`Ash... hm...
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Spoiler
He's the tron guy from the proologue campaign!!!

he has no involvement in the story and is a macguffin mcmuffin

/e who must not be HaHa'd put it pretty well, basically it isnt even starcraft naymore. Wasnt really since hots turned zerg into wow pets but it gets way worse in lotv when they turn it into mass effect and wh40k and halo 4. realistically speaking Alarak has ok voice acting but since hes supposed to be protoss its actually awful VA sice it doesnt actually fit the game or the role he is supposed to be going for. same with reincarnated robot fenix
also treebeard sounds more like Brood War artanis than artanis does, so xd my prophecy
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Anything that doesn't fit with sc2's interpretation protoss voices is already an improvement, even if it's objectively worse, because at that point someone said "this wasn't a good idea". Not enough people at Blizzard say that.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Casual players, who supposedly don't care about continuity, are complaining too? Bad sign...

AA7 was logged in a while ago but hasn't weighed in yet.

The defiler and its spells are in the Void data but it uses the Scantolisk model. No texture for the defiler model from Swarm, and no unique spell art. Ugh. That defiler model walks like a spider-lobsterlisk anyway, it should look more like slithering.

The Corsair... why? It's an awesome unit in the campaign (dweb only lasts 10 seconds, but doesn't hit allies, and it's AUTOCAST). But remember one of the most notable features in SC was the engine glow; this model barely has any at all. It doesn't have a spark on the front when attacking, just a recolored marine launch model, though that could be fixed with a beam model. Its attack impact is just the phoenix impact. And that voice may be the worst of any unit. It sounds like the Spectre, IMO the worst of the Terran voices. A true shame, considering those classic lines (pretty lights!)

A lot of the campaign units are fun, if really overpowered. Avengers are dark templar that teleport to your base instead of dying, so you can throw them at the enemy over and over again. The Annihilator gives an example of how we can now make an ability turn a turret.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The Devourer mesh is also just as unfinished as it was in hots (incomplete volumes, attachment points aren't weighted to anything).

Engine glows are pretty easy to make if I could bring the model into 3ds max without destroying it. We really, really need an updated m3 importer.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

IskatuMesk wrote:Anything that doesn't fit with sc2's interpretation protoss voices is already an improvement, even if it's objectively worse, because at that point someone said "this wasn't a good idea". Not enough people at Blizzard say that.
that's what they took issue with? not the disgusting excuse for a story that the game had, or the dumbass presentation of half the ideas? the voice acting of one race is really what broke the camelcocks?

I gotta tell you, we have a saying in brazil
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Legacy of the Void (Spoilers Hidden)

Post by IskatuMesk »

If they took issue with the writing do you think metzen would still be at blizzcon looking he like he's five fistfulls into cocaine?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Revolta wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote:Anything that doesn't fit with sc2's interpretation protoss voices is already an improvement, even if it's objectively worse, because at that point someone said "this wasn't a good idea". Not enough people at Blizzard say that.
that's what they took issue with? not the disgusting excuse for a story that the game had, or the dumbass presentation of half the ideas? the voice acting of one race is really what broke the camelcocks?

I gotta tell you, we have a saying in brazil
I don't care what it is, don't say it here.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

IskatuMesk wrote: red means bad

But... it kinda doesn't? Red dude #1 seems ok. Al I think his name was.

Besides, it's all ok, because
► Show Spoiler