LOTC playthrough

Your destination for all things related to the Legacy of the Confederation series, including StarCraft, Brood War, and StarCraft II editions.

Moderator: The Oracle

CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

LOTC playthrough

Post by CowardI »

Hello again guys! :D

Seams like a "lets' player" on youtube is doing a playthrough of the LOTC campaign.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScRzmzkjvPA

This is very interesting and its good to hear somebody comment on the content. However, I do feel very old when watching it tough. This brings me back to my childhood and the late 1990s.

When seeing the LOTC campaign again it seems to be very inspired by the movies Aliens, Starship Troopers, Fifth Element, Event Horizon and the Matrix. All of them very good 1990s sci-fi movies. :D
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: LOTC playthrough

Post by Lavarinth »

While going through the forums and clearing up a few things I spotted your thread. Great Let's Play in general. Informative at the beginning, and just "into it" the entire time. Your comments on your video speak for it enough, but well done.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Jayborino
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Jayborino »

Hey that's me! Thanks for linking it. The Oracle has also found my series, while also popping back up here in the forums. I'd like to think he either checked up here and found my videos because of your topic here, or maybe found my videos and headed back here to check in. Either way, it's cool to see him leaving comments with some inside info now 16 years later!
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

Lavarinth wrote:While going through the forums and clearing up a few things I spotted your thread. Great Let's Play in general. Informative at the beginning, and just "into it" the entire time. Your comments on your video speak for it enough, but well done.
Thank you for your reply. :)

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give the impression that this was me. I came across it by chance and decided to link it here. I did not make it. I'm not a lets player.

In general i hate "let's players". Especially lets player like PewDiePie. If you don't know who that is, he is a guy who screams in a childish and illegible manner. With exaggerated facial reactions as a bonus. The broken Swedish accent does not help either.
But the "let's layer" i linked to seems to be OK. Instead of screaming he comes with a bit of interesting trivia and history surrounding the game.
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

Jayborino wrote:Hey that's me! Thanks for linking it. The Oracle has also found my series, while also popping back up here in the forums. I'd like to think he either checked up here and found my videos because of your topic here, or maybe found my videos and headed back here to check in. Either way, it's cool to see him leaving comments with some inside info now 16 years later!
Hey Jayborino! :D

Thanks for your reply. Its cool to hear the Oracle has been watching your lets play too. If the Oracle saw your video via my topic here, I am honored. It was my pleasure linking it. As i really do enjoy your let's play of LOTC. :)
Kinda awkward to know that the creator of LOTC has heard you bad mouth it a bit. :P During mission 7: "Who in their right mind made this huge map into ONE level?!"

P.S.
I had to edit this thread a little bit. Sorry in advance if you saw my first reply in this topic. The reply was meant to be to Lavarinth. Was writing the comment right when you must have posted yours. If you saw that first comment it might have looked like a mess. I realized my error later.
Jayborino

Post by Jayborino »

CowardI wrote:Kinda awkward to know that the creator of LOTC has heard you bad mouth it a bit. :P During mission 7: "Who in their right mind made this huge map into ONE level?!"
Haha, I'll stick to my original assessment, it's crazy long! Ultimately, it's 15 years old and I'm playing it for the first time without that nostalgia feeling most people have for it so I'm a bit more open to saying something is strange now by 2015-standards. Is that fair? Not really, I know :P I think The Oracle understands all of this though as he messaged me saying he's enjoyed my playthrough and the comments I've made, good or bad. The only comment I actually felt a little guilty about was when I lost my shit in mission 6. DefenseNet pops on saying you need to grab the three dishes outside your base and I just shouted "FUCK THIS CAMPAIGN THIS IS RIDICULOUS". In fact, I felt bad about it before I even knew he was watching because it was a really bad misrepresentation of what I was thinking. I had gotten pretty flustered with the thought that I might end up losing and have to spend a bunch more free time re-recording, plus failed attempts usually means editing and I HATE EDITING because I am lazy.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I think one of the absolute most important things a Let's Player can do is critique. That said I like to keep all the failed attempts in the recordings as well. Even the most embarrassing ones.

I actually yell a lot. But a lot unlike the youtube kids, at least from what little I have seen of them.
Jayborino

Post by Jayborino »

Yes, I agree! While my style is much more of a showcase as opposed to nitpicking, I find many mapmakers are actually looking for more in depth critique. I'll leave that to text reviewers or other YouTubers. I think my role is also important because it draws attention back to the scene (without screaming like a child :P), though I don't know how many new people will actually pick up LotC, especially after I've recently learned how it can be tough to get running for casual players.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yeah, if there's a question I've seen a lot of over the years it's how to get the older exes and such to work in the first place. Before it was just as easy as downgrading and anybody could do that. I had a good taste of frustration when it came to recording Armageddon Onslaught (for 1.10) and finding out just how ridiculous it is to get OBS to hook fullscreen BW (re: it doesn't).
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

Jayborino wrote: Ultimately, it's 15 years old and I'm playing it for the first time without that nostalgia feeling most people have for it so I'm a bit more open to saying something is strange now by 2015-standards.
Thats what makes it very interesting. Can't wait to see more. Keep up the good work. ;)
Jayborino wrote: I actually felt a little guilty about was when I lost my shit in mission 6. DefenseNet pops on saying you need to grab the three dishes outside your base and I just shouted "FUCK THIS CAMPAIGN THIS IS RIDICULOUS".
Hehe. Yeah, I remember that part. I laughed like hell. :D UPL DefenseNet.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

CowardI wrote:
Jayborino wrote: Ultimately, it's 15 years old and I'm playing it for the first time without that nostalgia feeling most people have for it so I'm a bit more open to saying something is strange now by 2015-standards.
Thats what makes it very interesting. Can't wait to see more. Keep up the good work. ;)
Jayborino wrote: I actually felt a little guilty about was when I lost my shit in mission 6. DefenseNet pops on saying you need to grab the three dishes outside your base and I just shouted "FUCK THIS CAMPAIGN THIS IS RIDICULOUS".
In the end, the coolest thing about it is that a creative work from 15 years ago is giving over a thousand people enjoyment (either playing or watching the playthroughs). Nothing cooler than that.

As for feedback, just imagine if I took what everyone's shown me about LotC in the last 15 years and applied it to LotC for SC2? How cool would that be?
CowardI
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by CowardI »

The Oracle wrote:
CowardI wrote:
In the end, the coolest thing about it is that a creative work from 15 years ago is giving over a thousand people enjoyment (either playing or watching the playthroughs). Nothing cooler than that.

As for feedback, just imagine if I took what everyone's shown me about LotC in the last 15 years and applied it to LotC for SC2? How cool would that be?
That would be grand! :D
So LOTC will make an appearance in SC2 Legacy of the Void? Is that what the Oracle is saying? ;)
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

The Oracle is saying nothing on this matter except, 'What if?'