Zilla's LCS NA Finals adventure

Moderator: Milldawg

Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Zilla's LCS NA Finals adventure

Post by Zilla- »

So I went to the NA LCS Finals in Madison Square Garden. It was a really good time. I even took some pictures. lets check it out!

First, seeing LCS where they normally have like the trash knicks or something playing is fucking awesome. This was the banner there.

Upon walking in there's a merch booth. Its like super fucking early and the place is packed to the gills

They also had a tattoo booth, I have a TL one on the other arm that I didn't photo but they had every team. Which was good cause every team had supporters, even tdk and coast (lol)

DECLARE YOUR ALLEGIANCE!! or just take a picture of it if you're not big on commitment (like me)

Plenty of signs. dank memes cant melt playoff dreams and all that. This dude was walking around with his group occasionally shouting "rightous" like that turtle from nemo. it was hilarious

This dude's pillow was amazing

Bigass cardboard cutouts too

My hands are not still, shitty photos result also cropping and editing is for chumps. this is why i dont photograph anything ever, but yea, zed

Darius, Battle Bunny Diana (lolwut), lulu, and Swain. Swain's shit was pretty fucking cool

Pool party Lee Sin dropped by

check out dat sona. Also featuring Syndra, Project Yasuo, Israel, and Forecast Janna

One epic EU series later we're allowed into the arena, fucking finally. this is the view from my seat, not too bad tbh.

I could see "backstage" where the analysts were. That big screen is where the casters were standing, I got to see everyone get ready for their shit. Massive cheers came out for everyone that was recognized.

Starting with Dash and Xpecial. At one point Dash looked in my direction and I raised my beer to him and he gave me a solid thumbs up. or there was some shit going on behind me that coincided with the timing but I'm pretty sure that was for me

The seats are packed. there were sooooo many people there. holy shitballs

Phreak doing something(?) idk, but he got a massive cheer too (not for this but in general when he came out).

The analyst desk with Dash, Zirene, Xpecial, and Phreak about 2 minutes before air. You could see that they spent up to the very last minute prepping for this. those folks work super hard

To give a better point of reference, so you can see where I am in regard to the camera. Im literally right behind camera 2 (not the overhead one but the one that does the close ups). In the viewfinder I could see the stream that was being sent out, be it the game or the faces of who was talking, kinda cool

Another view of the arena

Garen and Taric (and some chump i guess idk)

Surgeon Kennen

LOOT~~ I opted for Naut cause he's a fucking badassbigdaddy and he looks so fucking cute

Sweater, this shit is super comfortable actually. I may have to find venues where it would be appropriate to wear cause its warm and the pockets have zippers and shit and i really kinda like it.

Lanyard, banging balloons (:3) or whatever the fuck you call those, and my #finalshype sign.

Thats the end of my journey. I was hoping to meet some of the players or casters but the line for that was fuckign long as fuck and I had a train to catch. All in all it was a great time. the stream is the most "important" part so you dont miss anything at home, but holy shit that crowd was amazing. you couldn't hear the casters or anything over them and the speakers were loud as fuck. and it was super cool to see all the casters and guests get ready to go on air, a lot of them waved at us and looked like good folks. In retrospect I should have printed out a few resumes and turned them into paper airplanes and thrown them up there, but other than that it was a great time. if you get the chance to go to one of these shindigs fucking go do it. I had a blast.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Zilla's LCS NA Finals adventure

Post by IskatuMesk »

I always find it interesting how "that guy" I semi-knew in the STF days is now one of the biggest name casters in the world. Similarly, how I inspired MrBitter and PainUser to become successful casters as well. I probably would have made an effort to join riot if I lived in a first world country because it seems like it would have been the one company I might have had the ability to join only because I "know" a few people in it to vouch for me and their work ethic doesn't sound nearly as dumb as most companies (e.g. blizzard) Alas.

That Taric tho.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Phreak won't get me in :(

butionlyaskedoncebecauseimnotanaggingperson

Overall epic pictures from Zilla are epic.

More pictures in November, clearly.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

@Lavarinth: When I had lunch with Phreak I asked him about that. He said, "Who?"
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

>message Phreak on AIM
>Phreak: "Oh hey man how's it going, been ages since we spoke"
>proceed to make small talk and talk about playing LoL at some point
>Phreak: "epic, let's do that"
>summoner name unsupplied and denied
>proceed to mention wanting to work for Riot in community relations and asking for any input or refer
>Phreak: "oh yeah cool good luck with that let me know how it goes"
>...

Should of clearly just used AIM to say "hey did you forget who I am after all these years? Yes? Okay, nevermind then!"
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

He told me to send in a resume a while back, and another Riot employee said I should do the same thing, but I don't actually know what a resume is, and chances are it wouldn't be impressive enough to warrant hiring (although their current balancing/design staff make a heavy argument to the contrary). They never mentioned anything about vouching but I imagine if you mentioned you sent one in you might get a bit further.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

honestly isk, just send them your hard drives and tell them to handle with it with a contamination suit and you should be ok. Between the models and the videos and the mods, hell your own lol project was ambitious as fuck. let them look at that and you can get in pretty much anywhere id say.

but if you dont want to i mean you could send that drive over to me, i'll just replace a name here or there and bam, instant game dev :3
just sayin, if you wanted to you could land a job at any game dev firm just from the weight of the massive pile of unfinished shit you have
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Unfortunately none of the unfinished shit really conveys any actual skills. Like, if you wanted to hire me for 3d work in a game like league, you probably have a checklist of things you want me to do.

- Organic mesh (high poly -> low poly). I can't do organics, much less high poly.
- UV and texture the mesh to an existing style. I have UV'd one mesh and it was a mess, and I can't texture. I also can't adopt other people's styles.
- Rig and animate that mesh to an existing style. I haven't ever rigged or animated, the most I've done is edit an existing skin weight on a WoW mesh when reproportioning it and that didn't go very well.
- Iterate on it when completed. Well this I can do. I can edit stuff in a game and patch it up so long as it doesn't need skills in actually making something.

The only graphical thing I know I can do at a professional level is particle effects, and that's if I have someone else making textures for me OR only if I can rely 100% on fumeFX. But some of the advanced shit really scares me, like multi-layer volumetric fireballs in Unreal 4. Those are way too technical for me.

So, I can't do 3d. I'm not an artist.

As for mod-related stuff, none of that applies to games outside of them. Only design, which is a floaty sort of thing that anyone can do. I'm good at balance, but anyone would say they already have balancing staff. That they're incompetent apparently means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Ambition only means something if you finish the fight, you know what I'm saying? Anyone can start something big, but it only means something when they finish it. And something has always stood in the way of that, which speaks pretty poorly of me as a person.

Now. If you said Riot needed someone who was great at yelling and cursing, then I'm your man.
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Basically a shoutcaster. Just take phreak's job.
Aluma
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by Aluma »

Hercanic wrote:@Lavarinth: When I had lunch with Phreak I asked him about that. He said, "Who?"
Don't listen to Herc, Lav. Phreak definitely remembers you! We talked about how you, Omen, Dread, Herc, and I went to Blizzcon in '09. He said he wishes he could have hung out with all of us (I think he and Herc were planning on meeting up there, but never did).
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Aluma wrote:
Hercanic wrote:@Lavarinth: When I had lunch with Phreak I asked him about that. He said, "Who?"
Don't listen to Herc, Lav. Phreak definitely remembers you! We talked about how you, Omen, Dread, Herc, and I went to Blizzcon in '09. He said he wishes he could have hung out with all of us (I think he and Herc were planning on meeting up there, but never did).
Guess I'm just not up to Riot snuff! I'll just go make my own company... with beers and hookers!
- - Lavarinth