Satyr Saturday Replays Week 71 and up

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Re: Satyr Saturday Replays Week 71 and up

Post by Xenon »

I think what I did was have it print out the height value returned at a movable unit's position with two of my computers on a LAN connection. Even non-animated doodads could have a slight difference.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I remember giving minerals in sc1 any kind of animated frames was a guaranteed desync if someone saw them in the fog of war. That sound suspiciously similar.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

One alternative I can think of is permanently revealing the map with the exception of the ready rooms. Then again, with abilities like Ice Bullet and Backdoor, that may not be such a good idea.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Can you fake fog of war?
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

The fog of war doesn't even matter with the walkable doodad desyncs; even if the map is visible it still can desync. They're visible through fog anyway.

However, this part may be an OS or settings-related desync as the thread suggested. In that case it's not likely to show up: Blizzard dropped support for Mac OS 10.7 or later (it still might work, but I have no clue) and almost everyone can use the max graphic settings nowadays.

Another option for the doodads may be to make terrain to approximate the doodads and place a non-walkable model of the doodad there, though I don't know how feasible that is. Getting the height right and all that.

A suggestion in the thread was to store the heights of points on the map as an array at the beginning of the game, but you'd need to do that part without the walkables and deal with interpolation and stuff. And you probably couldn't store them all at once without the game aborting the trigger for being too long.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

I've decided to just leave the doodads in for tonight. Hopefully nothing will explode. I did remove Celestial Wang, however.

Copypasting the changenut from the map since I'm cutting close on time (lool what else is new):
  • MLG rune no longer refills mana.
  • Tree runes have a reduced chance of occurring.
  • Refactored Blood Knight's, Planeeter's, Gyrocoptor's, Lich's, Giga Crab's, Nerubian King's, Pyromancer's, and Torrasque's hotkeys to QWERT standard.
  • New sound and animations for Blood Knight's Phalanx.
  • Replaced Planeteer's Wind Elemental with a new ability: Wind Drag.
  • Replaced Gyrocoptor's Refuel with a new ability: Goblin Land Mine.
  • Replaced Dervish's Cyclone with a new ability: Wind Geyser.
  • Reworked Lich's Frost Nova. It's basically like Shiva's Guard now.
  • Celestial Wang has been removed from the game. It has been temporarily replaced with Suicide Bombing.
  • New damage text tag system for improved readability.
  • New knockback system for 3D effects.
  • Fixed a bug where Quickening would persist after the Dervish ran out of mana.
  • Fixed a bug where projectiles would go out of map bounds, causing WC3 to crash.
  • Added a new command: -stuck. (I anticipate people will get stuck on cliffs a lot, so keep this command in mind)
If anyone is interested in looking at the new knockback system, I've attached it along with the new Gore which utilizes it.
SMKS2.txt
Gore.txt
god my head fucking hurts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

In TGS, flame strike and that mana eating thing both use the F hotkey. I wish I remember the name of it right now but 2 hours sleep + migraine
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

fuck linear algebra
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Lawl. I take it by that you intend to store the height data and interpolate it? If you do that for the distance calculations, you could use the GetLocationZ function to adjust the height of the units so it looks smooth even near terrain deformations and cliffs, since the graphical height of the unit doesn't affect gameplay and doesn't need to be synced... I think.

And Mesk, it's impossible to have no hotkey conflicts unless Mucky bothers making multiple copies of each ability just for the hotkey to be different. It's possible to try to minimize them based on builds (Flamestrike and Siphon Mana make sense together, but other combos like Flamestrike and War Stomp are uncommon), but that could still be a pain.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Time to make users switch to french keyboard layouts mid-combo to use more unique buttons.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

More than that. I'm trying to get the reflection vector off the knockback and terrain normal. I know it involves a dot product between the two vectors, and I believe my math is correct for the most part. Yet every now and then, I'll end up with a turtle bouncing up and down forever until I hit it with another knockback.

As for the hotkey stuff, I've been working on a test map that assigns hotkeys based on the order in which you learn spells (it involves multiple copies of abilities as Q said). It will probably entail a complete rewrite of TGS' ability system, since it needs to keep track of which heroes have learned which spells, and which hotkey they belong to. I don't know if I will have this finished by next Saturday.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

That's fine. I don't really expect anything to get fixed much less in a timely manner. To be honest I'm surprised you're putting in as much work as you are.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

last minute changenut as always
  • Living Roots no longer has 9999 range.
  • Fountain of Innervation no longer heals the KING OF SPAIN.
  • Replaced Pyromancer's Soul Burn with a new ability: Boost Fire.
  • Changed Pyromancer's Fire Nova hotkey to W.
  • DOOM LORD KAZZAK's Barrage ability was remade into a Fan of Knives ability.
  • DOOM LORD KAZZAK now hurls units across the map.
  • New sound for Scattershot.
  • I LEARNED HOW TO EDIT MODELS!!! Smoke Bomb is now gray.
  • Slightly modified ready room terrain.
  • Fucked with some of the arena terrain as well.
  • No spellcasting of any kind is allowed in the ready rooms.
  • Bear Skinning Knife now costs 200 mana.
  • Refined knockback bouncing. May yield strange behaviors.
  • Fixed a bug where the 6th player of the Lordaeron Loladins would revive in the Nerubian Cockbite's ready room.
  • Fixed a bug where the losing team would receive no dialog at the end of the game.
Made some progress with the TGS ability thing... At some point I will have to suffer the ultimate joy of creating 4 copies of hundreds of abilities and cataloging them all. God damn it.

ALSO, I'm going to attempt streaming tonight.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Is there a way to edit the data in wc3 via text editor? I seem to recall the base files are excel sheets, but I am not sure about the editor variants. I presume it entails pulling the files out with winmpq.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

The compiled map has a ton of different war3map.w3* files. It's anyone's guess which one contains the object data (probably one of the larger ones).