Does Mods works when you didn't installed SCBW but copied it from another PC

TheMadman
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Does Mods works when you didn't installed SCBW but copied it from another PC

Post by TheMadman »

I've encountered some problem on my old WinXP machine when i copied the entire starcraft folder from Laptop and placed to my Old pc. Starcraft.exe starts normally, but theres a problem on Firegraft/Stardraft/SEMPQ exes, they cannot actually start (Firegraft Doesn't show an error/Stardraft just CANNOT find Sc itself/SEMPQ tries to find SC CD)How do i solve the problem?

I was crushing my head many hours to solve this, but it didnt worked after all.
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when
starcraft was the best strategy among everything....

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
And the answer is: they don't love games bro, they don't love them....
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Does Mods works when you didn't installed SCBW but copied it from another PC

Post by IskatuMesk »

Mods look for registry entries for SC's installation directory.
TheMadman

Re: Does Mods works when you didn't installed SCBW but copied it from another PC

Post by TheMadman »

So, theres any way to place registery entries in regedit?
Ya know, sometimes i remember old times when Dune 2000 was rocking, when God of War II was the best game, when

I always ask myself: why many people dont play this legendary games, why they want play new ones?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

If you still have access to the old machine you can find them there and export them for the new machine. Or you can download the digital version, install it, and replace the directory with your old one. I think, anyways.
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

I didn't find path to the directory of SC, but i searched many times. Maybe you know where is it?

P.S Mods ARE working on laptop.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

If you search regedit for Starcraft you should eventually find some keys for it.

Unless sc is one of those games that stores its information in some really weird way. I haven't personally had to deal with this before, but I am 69% sure that firegraft does look for registry entries...
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Well, actually i find lots of registers with name starcraft, some of them are used when you starting SC itself. However, Firegraft doesnt look for entries.(but one time the exe did asks me to find SC.exe and it worked, but when i reboot, this happens again).

Plus, i've got an interesting thing. i did find something that lead path to a SC and i imported it to the Old Pc, but it didnt worked, so i need to find (or try unpack information from the Starcraft.mpq) SC CD to install it, or spent another dozen of hours to find that path.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

iirc the cd key is stored in a sound file or something inside the mpq. If you can find any information on that, downloading an iso of the game and installing from that should be sufficient to fix whatever issue there is.

What OS is the laptop?
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Win7 X64

Well, i have already the CD Key so i don't need go inside file.
The problem is, i need to find ''clear'' setup for SC which is hard to find in general stores (not in internet stores, i dont have speedy internet to dl it).

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Ah. I was suggesting just grabbing the iso from any given torrent site or something. Since you legally own it already and have a legit cd key that shouldn't be an issue if you can get a clean iso. However, the slow internet would be equally a problem for this.

This may be an obvious question, but you are running the proper versions for the associated mods, right? Any mods that use exe edits are version-specific, including most Firegraft and Stargraft mods, as well as anything I have released (which used 1.10 memgraft).

I took a quick look in my registry and, indeed, the sc section seems void of an install directory. I am sure I have figured this out some years ago, but I can't really recall the problem specifically. Sorry, I wish I could have been more useful.
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Finding in the internet is not a problem. The problem is, size. Some of the torrents have bigger sizes that was original Starcraft in CD.
I repeat, i need find the 'real' 'clean' cd iso from that, which is uncommon to find.

Well, i run the Ascension of Duran (that MUST be run) and lotc2.exe (that doesn't run). Probably i need to use SCBW Version switcher for that.

Thanks for the help anyway :) it helped me out a little

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yeah, any of the really old campaigns may be 1.07 from stargraft. If you run them and see a cwad and some other strange stuff appear that is probably the case.
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

Well, there's no strange thing happens when i start those stardraft/graft patches. It starts, but always show WerFault.exe in Manager and closes.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well, if you are running 1.07, and it's still not starting... have you tried running them from sc's directory?
TheMadman

Post by TheMadman »

I always run them from sc directory, but still that happens