We are the subject of research

Moderator: Milldawg

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: We are the subject of research

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I would like a PM of the research papers.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:I would like a PM of the research papers.
This, please.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

One of the interesting things that catches my eye is the conclusion. I was a bit surprised that you have the penultimate paragraph devoted to globalization, when you only mention it about three times earlier in the paper directly. If it's so pivotal to your conclusion, you definitely need another mini-section on it--but it might be the case that you more need to adjust the conclusion, rather than add more sections.

For a counter-point here you might want to look at Dyer-Witheford and De Peuter's Games of Empire. In any case your use of the term needs to be clearer so that your conclusion can't be misconstrued as "Blizzard should do something like Mists of Pandaria for Starcraft!"

In any case, what I mean here is more that the strength of your evidence seems to be built around conceptualizing the actual process wherein online communities are formed, and the relationship between breakages and continuity in group inclusion. Globalization then feels like an interesting and related topic, but not necessarily so central as to be the last few paragraphs of a 100 page analysis.

That aside, you're clearly on track to pass. Soon Bill shall have to refer to you as MASTER POSY.
Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Zilla- »

I thought it was interesting to see so many of mesks rants turned into proper research paper material. also I enjoyed reading it. ALSO, big props to ricky for being the hero keeping this shit going. I guess I never realized how much time and effort he puts into this.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

whatever krazy posted makes no sense to me what soever. I guess I would have failed school hard if I didn't just drop out.
Posy
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Posy »

Krazy wrote:One of the interesting things that catches my eye is the conclusion. I was a bit surprised that you have the penultimate paragraph devoted to globalization, when you only mention it about three times earlier in the paper directly. If it's so pivotal to your conclusion, you definitely need another mini-section on it--but it might be the case that you more need to adjust the conclusion, rather than add more sections.

For a counter-point here you might want to look at Dyer-Witheford and De Peuter's Games of Empire. In any case your use of the term needs to be clearer so that your conclusion can't be misconstrued as "Blizzard should do something like Mists of Pandaria for Starcraft!"

In any case, what I mean here is more that the strength of your evidence seems to be built around conceptualizing the actual process wherein online communities are formed, and the relationship between breakages and continuity in group inclusion. Globalization then feels like an interesting and related topic, but not necessarily so central as to be the last few paragraphs of a 100 page analysis.

That aside, you're clearly on track to pass. Soon Bill shall have to refer to you as MASTER POSY.
Thanks Krazy!

I'm now waiting on feedback from two of my advisers (I have a feeling one of them is going to make similar comments as you), and then I'll start working on the conclusion and stuff.

I really should check out Games of Empire. It was recommended to me like a year ago, but I ignored the girl because she was a Cultural Studies student with a Marx fetish.

- MASTER POSY (always in call caps for some reason)
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

Well it's definitely marxist and cultural-studies bent, but it also has one of the better discussions of Blizzard's relationship with Asian markets. I think it'd be the best counter-point/foil for your globalization comments, so I'm more recommending it because it's so marxist, not in spite of that :P
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

what is a marx?
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

Now you know.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

someone who wears duct tape for a mustache?
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Hey champs, I would love to read about this community from an outsider's perspective as (I mean who can tell) it certainly shaped me to some extent in my younger years. Holla back y'all?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

holla holla get dolla
Posy
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Posy »

I just submitted my thesis!
Posy
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Posy »

I'm going to try to make sure I'm around for SC2/WC3 (whichever it is) tomorrow.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Just tape yourself to the emu.