The New Forum 2015

Moderator: Milldawg

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

The New Forum 2015

Post by Lavarinth »

Greetings, once again!

We have just completed a major version jump from the 3.0 series of phpBB to 3.1. The security measures in this and "mod" support far surpasses that of what 3.0 could have ever wished for. With this move, however, we've lost some valuable mods and can only hope authors intend to port their mods to the new system. (The methods are simple, it simply requires their interest.)

With this all said and done, here are a list of mods we have lost, and to those affected I apologize intently:

User Blog
ReIMG Image Resizer
Selective Profile/Post Side Switcher
Reputation System
Gamertags

To those who use our blogs, I apologize the most. I want you all to be fully aware the databsase for blogs is backed up, and if I manage to find an extension (the new term for mods for 3.1) then I will do what I can to convert and import the data into the new blogging system. There are currently three in production, but none fully functional yet, and unfortunately none are from the author we were using.

The image resizer is crucial to smaller layouts, but as you may have noticed, we've expanded. The site has gained roughly 200 width in pixels on the forum, though this will not affect the site itself once launched. It will retain the 960 format for simplicity's sake. The author of ReIMG is currently working on importing his mod to the extension list for 3.1. Is stable beta builds are available, I will bring this feature back.

The switcher for post and profile data was minimally used or even known of, this removal should not impact many of you.

The reputation system and gamertags were more or less a joke in the end. If something more respectable and configurable exists in extensions in the future, we will bring it in.

While I work on the layout, you are free to make any notion of errors or things you believe I may have missed. Rest assured there are hundreds of edits I need to make right now. From icons, to button colors, to gradients, to anything you can think of. For all I know, I'll miss something however, so for the next few days if you spot something more obvious than not that should have been changed by "now," make a note of it here. Otherwise, if it's something glaringly obviously, like (at the time of this post) the messy index page of boards, I'm aware, don't worry! After a few weeks, any issues outstanding you spy on the board are probably oversights by myself and I encourage you to post them.

There are a multitude of new features I've brought into the forum. For now, I won't bother documenting them as they are intended to make the board more convenient to use and should not be focused on. Just know in the end, the board will be sleeker and more entertaining to use.

Thank you for the patience and accepting the downtime! (Not like you had a choice!)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Re: The New Forum 2015

Post by Mucky »

Lavarinth wrote:With this all said and done, here are a list of mods we have lost, and to those affected I apologize intently:

Reputation System
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

noooo how will we glorify anny now :(
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Seems pretty functional. I like it it! Except for the bits where the colour contrast is harsh on the eyes, but I assume that those won't be part of the final design. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.
Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Zilla- »

Why are these forums so broken, jeez god worst admin since hitler
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Mucky wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:With this all said and done, here are a list of mods we have lost, and to those affected I apologize intently:

Reputation System
All I'm hearing right now is this scene with you guys.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIMwvDvmaY[/bbvideo]
- - Lavarinth
Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Revolta »

Does this mean I'll finally be able to post without having to log in 5 times
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Revolta wrote:Does this mean I'll finally be able to post without having to log in 5 times
Hopefully!
- - Lavarinth
Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

Functional enough, but the individual posts are a little too close; they almost look like they're all part of a single one if it wasn't for the avatars and the post titles at the top.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Theia_Loki wrote:Functional enough, but the individual posts are a little too close; they almost look like they're all part of a single one if it wasn't for the avatars and the post titles at the top.
Indeed, they are!
- - Lavarinth
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Oh boy, I don't envy you, Lav, with all that CSS and crap to format. Good job so far.

Places still missing appropriate colors/styling are the quick and full reply fields, the breadcrumb mousehover dropdowns, various places in the user control panel, notifications dropdown, login fields, pagination, search field, advanced search fields and dropdowns, the transparency on those damn post icons, Jump To dropdown, various icon and text buttons, Quick Links dropdown, etc. User profile view has the online overlay graphic tiled across the whole name area.

I never understood the point of the blog system, to be honest. There's already plenty of free sites that offer blogging services that people can link to if they want a blog. I always figured the blog system here was doomed, because it's a forum mod, and not likely to be supported forever.

Reputation system was too lolzy. I'm sad, though. I had successfully baited Mesk and Mucky into a rep frenzy, and was bidding my time before I unleashed a massive blast of null-energy all over their efforts. =o(

Gamertags, from what I remember, didn't they have shitty transparency and looked terrible?

Oh, the announcement at the top: Orange is a great contrast color with the blue layout to attract attention, but blue text is painful on it.

While we're talking about changing things, I'd just like to put my vote out there for something: The black stripes used in the background and throughout CC's site, I never cared for the styling. On some monitors/computers, scrolling causes nauseating flickering. I don't have this problem on my current system, but I imagine some users still might. Anyway, just a minor complaint I've always held.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Oh neat, just noticed threads now have a mousehover preview.

Lav, the CampaignCreations account needs an avatar.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Eh? Was that Similar Topics thing at the bottom always there since the update? Or is that a mod? Or a new default feature you just activated, Lav? In any case, neat.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Hercanic wrote:Eh? Was that Similar Topics thing at the bottom always there since the update? Or is that a mod? Or a new default feature you just activated, Lav? In any case, neat.

It's new, I discovered a flaw with extension and custom themes, but was able to remedy the situation and a few mods that weren't passing through the restriction of the default theme are now active. As is Quick Edit (edit a post in the same page).
- - Lavarinth
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Whaaa~ quick editing! Such future! =oD

When you say 'mod' and 'extension', are these things not default in phpBB3 and are being added from third-parties? I suppose, at least with a function like Quick Editing or Similar Topics, nothing will be lost in the future if these mods aren't kept updated by their author.