Avengers: Age of Ultron

Moderator: Milldawg

Revolta
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Post by Revolta »

I went to see this movie not so long ago, earlier this week actually, and it was pretty dumb in my opinion. First one wasn't exactly a shining spectacle of intelligent storytelling but this one seemed to think that camera shaking and fast-paced ridiculous edited action scenes need to be even more confusing than before. There were very few instances where I actually knew where the heroes (or villains (or anyone)) were in relation to one another and whether the fact that they're doing the equivalent of facerolling trash mobs in your average mmo (or darksiders 2) actually amounts to anything even remotely important until they finally face an enemy that is arbitrarily designated as more powerful.

The plot was a big mess too, since the pre-existing (and star) characters of the movie weren't really compelling this time around. The newcomers were actually more interesting (maybe that's jut because Russian women are hot and Scarlet Johannson isn't attractive if she's being pummeled by a giant green cock) and Vision or whatever his name is has a more convincing backstory and development as a character than anyone else in the damn film, and he was created in the last act of the movie. I mean I get that comic books are a flawed medium in general and tend to have shitty concepts and shittier execution but if you're gonna do a comic book movie, either stick with the source material and be unoriginal or take artistic liberties and have better concepts. Feels like this movie didn't really commit to either approach and simply towed the line just enough to appease the comic book fans that attend these things instead of achieving anything close to true greatness. Damn shame really, since they clearly had the budget to do so, and instead we wound up with a CGI-filled lens flare motion blur camera shake rapid edit snoozefest.

I give it a mediocre 9 fedoras out of 10. anyways, did you guys like the movie? :^)))))
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Post by Krazy »

Really, 9 out of 10 fedoras? That's a pretty high score based on the post.

It had a few vaguely amusing moments that didn't quite offset the motion sickness I got from the camera that shot the whole damn thing like a music video. Character and plot doesn't matter if the movie physically makes you feel ill.
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Yeah that's what I meant by camera shaking mess.

and if fedoras didn't tip (see what I did there) you off that it was sarcasm, you must really trust gamespot reviews.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

As the capability of westerners to do choreography goes sharply downhill, the abuse of post processing and camera shaking to hide that lack of skill becomes ever more prominent. See: Transformers and the use of camera shaking to hide blatant clipping/bad animation.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Revolta wrote:had the budget to do so
A ha ha ha budget.

A happy-go-lucky Capitalist commissioning a dozen of disinterested individuals to do paid advertisement can never make something"good".

It's easier said than done, but I'll say you don't need a lot to make good things. Just stick with your strength, be yourself, and work hard.

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Revolta

Post by Revolta »

Making good things is definitely not hard, just requires a level of dedication that money will never achieve
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Money can help to be a good incentive, but it helps to have limitations and restrictions on the system to prevent people from just fountaining out garbage like holewood does. See: Nintendo SNES vs Sega Genesis. Nintendo's restrictions on publishing helped foster a far greater (though certainly not flawless) library than the Genesis which was just flooded with garbage because people could publish willy nilly.

If a Holewood company could only release a movie once every 5 years you'd probably see the bar for quality begin to climb out of the gutter.
Posy
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Posy »

Krazy wrote:Really, 9 out of 10 fedoras? That's a pretty high score based on the post.

It had a few vaguely amusing moments that didn't quite offset the motion sickness I got from the camera that shot the whole damn thing like a music video. Character and plot doesn't matter if the movie physically makes you feel ill.
Kelly: Hopefully you never watched any of the Bourne movies.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

you guys need to watch a bollywood movie
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Bollywood is amazing.