The Administrator has tasked you with assembling a crew of mercenaries to take on a rival corporation. You must not only convince each to join your company of ill-repute, but also keep these unique personalities from killing one another! No easy task when their grip on reality is already so tenuous.
- Scout - In debt with the mob, and always looking for the easy way out.
- Lancer - A drunkard, suppressing the terrifying memories of a long-ago run-in with a terrifying beast.
- Asher - Likes to cook. Can't. Crush his dreams.
- Gunner - He likes guns. Big guns. It wasn't hard to hire him, which is why he's already part of your team! Keeping him from killing the others, though, that might take some work. Everyone is always after his Sandvich and leaving fingerprints on Sascha!
- Grenadier - After losing his eye from an errant twitch of potassium chloride, the Grenadier has also lost all confidence in himself. Needing to make ends meet, he is now working as a traveling salesman with the title of Demo Manager, but his product demonstrations never seem to go right. Goal: Rekindle his love of the explosive.
- Engineer - Rich and successful, having invented many top selling home products, such as the OmniSuck Vaccum, he has little care or reason to join you. Money is not an issue for him, so you'll have to take another approach: In his position of power, his vice has become his ego. Goal: Steal the Engineer's latest invention designs and frame the BLU corporation. What better motivation than revenge?
- Medic - Currently being sued for malpractice. Nothing a little jury tampering and judge bribery couldn't solve!
- Sniper - Has disappeared into the mountains. No one has seen or heard of him since.
- Spy - Out on a hit. Find his target to find him, but be careful not to get in his way before you can offer him a job!
- Recruit Gunner, explore new base
- Grenadier & Lancer
- Base interlude
- Engineer vs. Spy
- Base interlude
- Sniper vs. Scout
- Base interlude
- Medic vs. Asher
- Base interlude
- BLU Assault
- The Twist!
Headhunting: "There can be only one"
You can bring along one merc on each mission, provided there is at least one unit left to guard the base while you're away. The Administrator will only allow you to bring one bodyguard for fear of drawing too much attention otherwise.
- Mission 1: Recruit Gunner - Teaches basic point capture
- Setup: Meet up with the Gunner on the outskirts of a BLU-controlled base. Proceed to haggle his price, exploiting his less-than-keen mathmatical aptitude.
- Gameplay: Clear out the base from BLU occupation and cap its point to establish ownership.
- Conclusion: Administrator congratulates your success, and offers you a chance to explore your surroundings before your next assignment.
- Mission 2: Recruit Grenadier - Teaches point defense
- Setup: Find a dejected Grenadier peddling wares as a traveling salesman. Although he holds the title of Demo Manager, his demonstrations never seem to go right. Sign up to take his class, then follow him afterward to his favorite pub. He meets up with his best mate, the Lancer, and they swap "war" stories. Approach them and offer the Grenadier a job. Although the money is good, the Grenadier cannot bring himself to work with explosives after his accident. Besides, he's got everything he needs: whisky, a fine place to drink it in, and his drinking buddy. Money wouldn't change that.
- Gameplay: Defend pub from the mob with the Grenadier and Lancer. Enemies will attempt to capture its point.
- Conclusion: Pub catches fire. Roof collapses, separating Lancer and Grenadier. You must choose one of them to save before pub explodes.
- Mission 3: "Revengineering" (Recruit Engineer) - Teaches point and flag capture.
- Setup: Meet with the Engineer, who turns down your employment offer. As top inventor and president of his own company, he has little need or interest in your endeavors. Before you go, though, he'll give you a product demonstration. Outside, you decide that in order to provide him motive, you will secretly contract the services of a Spy.
- Gameplay: Help the Spy sneak through the Engineer's complex, disabling automated defenses by capping points. Spy retrieves intel (flag). Toward the end, Engineer confronts the Spy.
- Conclusion: Choose to escape with the Spy, earning you the wrath of the Engineer, or pretend to have happened upon the scene and help the Engineer stop the Spy.
- Mission 4: Recruit Sniper - Teaches trade cart pushing; cart is not targeted.
- Setup: Meet with the Sniper, who tells you he cannot join until he completes his current contract. The mob wishes one of their top runners be made an example. However, he has learned that the runner is making a very lucrative delivery tonight. If you can help the Sniper take that delivery without his mob employers finding out, he'll gladly help you.
- Gameplay: Befriend the Scout. Desperate for a hand, the Scout offers to cut you in on his delivery if you help him. To do so, you must push a trade cart to the meeting point. Snipers will attempt to take out the Scout while other units attack you. To defend the Scout, run him under the cover of barricades. These will block a shot before being destroyed. Difficulty increases as snipers attack from both flanks and barricades become less common. Two-thirds along the route you can rest in a warehouse.
- Conclusion: In the warehouse, you must choose to continue along the Scout's route, or open the alternative route suggested by the Sniper. If you betray the Scout, sniper fire will scare him off, but you must continue to brave the other attackers so the mob won't be suspicious and get the delivery to the Sniper's drop point. Alternatively, forget the Sniper's deal and help the Scout complete his deal, earning his trust and allegiance in the face of his employer's betrayal.
- Mission 5: "Trial and Error" (Recruit Medic) - Teaches bomb cart pushing; cart is targeted.
- Setup: Under arrest and standing trial for severe malpractice, the Medic is obviously indisposed at the moment. To help him, you may attempt to bribe the judge or influence the jury. If successful, the Medic goes to a minimum security prison. If botched, the Medic is sentenced to a maximum security prison. The system just isn't what it used to be. With that in mind, a file in a cake just won't do. You'll need to blow up the joint. Literally.
- Gameplay: Push a bomb cart through the prison courtyard, though you'll have to take a few detours on foot to open up various gates in your path.
- Conclusion: Once you reach the doctor's cell, you can spring him. However, his cell mate will want to come too. Leave him or bring him? If you leave him, he grabs a flamethrower from the now-exposed prison weapons depot and tries to kill you. If you take him, he'll grab the same flamethrower and help you on your final escape. However, back at base, he will kill the Medic for having taken top bunk in their cell earlier.
- Side quests - Between each mission, you reside at your base along with anyone you've recruited. When talking with them, you'll receive a side quest from each one that can be completed to unlock their final ability.
- Mission 6: Showdown with BLU - Teaches a full game of point capture and defense. The mercs screwed over by your decisions will now be found on the BLU team.
- Betrayal: "Failure is (not) an Option" - You've done well. Too well. The Administrator now commands you to fail. Do so, and you fail. Ignore her, and things get ugly. Fast. You were only hired to be average, but you've tipped the balance between RED vs BLU.
- The Double Twist!