Introductions

Moderator: Milldawg

Enkidu
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Introductions

Post by Enkidu »

Hello. I am very new here and my username is Enkidu... I am a little nervous joining honestly. I would've posted this in an introductory forum, but it looked like there was none and the best place I thought to introduce myself would be in GD (General Discussions) here. Nevertheless, Nice to meet all of you here at Campaign Creations and I hope I can make new friends and leave a good impression here with you all at Campaign Creations. :)
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Introductions

Post by Thalraxal »

Welcome aboard, Enkidu!
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Thank you Thalraxal. So CC uses Terran Ranks on the boards? I did not know that...

Anyway, I am very new here and I haven't been exactly acquainted with map editing and modding, but someday I will get to that point. By the way, I am not a spambot in-case anyone wonders. I might eventually make a map someday, but I got held up projects of my own on another board I work with.

I do love StarCraft though and the BroodWar expansion as well, I am curious though as to if SC2 is alright? I never saw anything for SC2 or that much of WarCraft for that matter, at least when it came to campaigns or modding. It is probably just me though, but I did see a trailer for LoTC for SC2. I thought that project, as far to new knowledge I have obtained, was cancelled.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

By the way, what do you talk about in GD (General Discussions)? Anything in general, kind of like a bar or certain topic matters?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Warcraft 3 had very little in the way of campaigns and virtually no modding at all. That is mostly due to the kind of community it attracted; people were more interested in being popular and producing very simple projects. There are a few exceptions, like WoS, but most of the projects that looked promising (like Heart of Storms) were never finished.

Starcraft 2 on the other hand doesn't support modding due to its online-only map distribution, which rules out any kind of large multiplayer project period due to the very small size limits, and it also has no form of official campaign support. Again, there are only a handful of Starcraft 2 campaigns, with most of them being rehashes of Starcraft 1 vanilla campaigns or otherwise being relatively small scale. All of the big names were turned off by Starcraft 2 because it took over four years for 3d support to show up and because the editor is extremely slow and frustrating to work with.

I doubt we will ever see Oracle again, but you never know.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Welcome! No need to be nervous, we're pretty relaxed here. Campaign Creations has been around for over 16 years, so those still here have a pretty strong attachment to the place and are happy to see a fresh face.

General discussion is a literal title, with no real limit on topics aside from the constraints of the forum rules.

Most content on Campaign Creations is for Starcraft 1, as that is the game that gave rise to this site, but we are open to projects for Warcraft III and Starcraft 2.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Wow, Thank you. I am surprised about the facts. I have not heard much about StarCraft 2 and that is why I asked. My computer cannot play SC2 and I know it can't because it doesn't have the technical horse power to do that, so I guess that is why I didn't look up any subjects about it. I didn't hear much about it, even though I see it sold everywhere in stores. I never found out how active the community for it is, so I wasn't sure.

Another thing, I have never, EVER Found another StarCraft website like yours that puts out any content, except for http://www.staredit.net/ and that is the only other site I saw that probably does that. By the way, I know one of you guys known as Pr0nogo and he is on there too and I saw some of his videos while searching around on Youtube. I also was looking for something connected to SC1 and saw Iskatumesk's vids about "custom AI" and they were nice. Sorry, I went off topic...

What happened to the other StarCraft sites? There was supposed to be another site for StarCraft map making known as the Map Maker's Guild, I think. What happened to it?
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

I didn't follow the SC1 mapping community too closely, but many sites have closed down or merged over the years. Maplantis merged into StarEdit.net, Infoceptor shut its doors, etc.

SC1 modding I am far more familiar with, but it's the same story. Camelot Systems was shut down by its creator, Sovereign Modding Empire died out, etc. The sites that I can think of that are still around these days are:
  • CampaignCreations (CC) - Run by Lavarinth, a classic among the communities, though we could use some clean up and updates in various sections.
  • StarEdit.Net (SEN) - Run by Isolatedpurity (or used to, someone else might be at the reins now, and it looks like he might have changed his name to Forsaken Archer), it focuses on mapping but has an active modding community.
  • BroodWarAI (BWAI) - Run by Baja Dulce, specializing in AI but is also a great supporter of modding. They maintain one of the more up-to-date lists of mod tool downloads.
  • Star Alliance (SA) - Run by Magic, I haven't really kept up on them in a very long time, but there's some nice legacy resources to be found there.
  • Stormcoast Fortess - Personal site of Suicidal Insanity and his programs.
  • Shadowflare's Realm - Personal site of Shadowflare and her programs.
  • Farty's Site - Personal site of FaRTy1billion and his programs. He hosts it on his own computer, I believe, so it may not always be accessible. Taking a look now, there's nothing on the main page, but you can directly get to things if you know the link, like Stacraft Downgrader.
As a late introduction, I am Hercanic, a member of CC since 2000. I created the SC1 mod Starcraft Team Fortress (STF), hosted here at CC, and the SC1 modding site Modcrafters (MC). MC was never officially opened to the public (website was still in dev), so it's more of an archive site these days, with useful info on the forum and wiki about modding and plugins.

Both my sites are, ahem, slightly b0rked and in need of an update that I haven't moved my lazy ass to remedy. STF's project site hasn't been properly tied to the news forum here on CC in many years, and a server-wide PHP version update completely wrecked MC's forum and wiki (I'd have to upgrade their software, bleh).

I hope you find your stay here pleasant, and be it mapping or modding I wish you a hearty dose of luck motivation!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The big problem with most of the community, especially sites like SME, is that they were never about the mods or development. They were only about people hoping to have some kind of power in a dead community and its ancient resources. This trend continued into sc2. None of the new sc2 sites had any actual backing behind them. Mapster is a great example. It hasn't been updated since it was first conceived by Curse as a moneygrab and the forum and site are still just as ugly and irritating to use as they've always been. They've been flooded by spambots for months a simple moderator preview on new accounts could fix. But no one who made the site was interested in actually doing anything with it.

While I like to think we at CC are moving past that sort of thing, there's only a few of us here actively involved in any kind of content production at the moment. I've released a few resources on the forum, but we're in talks of a more proper platform to release future developer resources to come in the future.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

In terms of anything done in SC2, I made 2 SC2 maps so far :

1) Warlords and Merchants

Essentially a large scale FFA melee map but with added campaign and custom units. Players have the choice to be Merchants (can make units/researches, try to have highest profit) and others can be Warlords (essentially melee, have more units access, can buy from Merchants).

2) Micro and Tactics with Editor

Basically the ideal of making your own micro scenarios (alone or with friends). After that, you can play them with your friends or random people. Due to SC2's "bank system", you can save your scenarios and have them available the next time you load your map. I even go as far as "hardcoding" scenarios from other people into my map to make them permanently available for anyone playing the map.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Ricky is most well-known for his undefeated record in Ultimate Mode Blazblue tournaments, though.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Again, thank you for the intros yourselves and I will do my best on the site. To be honest, it may take me a while before I start modding (and I don't know how to mod StarCraft and its BroodWar counterpart) and make campaigns, but I may get to that point one day.

My username "Enkidu" was made up for a Starcraft Character who's a hero unit I created in the game. It also belongs to one of the characters in the Epic of Gilgamesh. It sounds good for a Protoss name, doesn't it?
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

My username "Enkidu" was made up for a Starcraft Character who's a hero unit I created in the game. It also belongs to one of the characters in the Epic of Gilgamesh. It sounds good for a Protoss name, doesn't it?
Sounds foreign enough. :P
Enkidu wrote:Again, thank you for the intros yourselves and I will do my best on the site. To be honest, it may take me a while before I start modding (and I don't know how to mod StarCraft and its BroodWar counterpart) and make campaigns, but I may get to that point one day.
Modding starcraft with tools like DatEdit is so easy even five year old can do it, there is nothing to be afraid just google and try it out. However, as a warning, unless you are a pro Russian hacker who knows how to hack into the pentagon, anything more complex than changing stats around can prove difficult... if not impossible.

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

mark_009_vn wrote:However, as a warning, unless you are a pro Russian hacker who knows how to hack into the pentagon, anything more complex than changing stats around can prove difficult... if not impossible.
Heh, while there are certainly many limitations, if you have a grasp of programming then you can do quite a bit with plugins.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Hercanic wrote: Heh, while there are certainly many limitations, if you have a grasp of programming then you can do quite a bit with plugins.
They are ASM hacks and rewrites, as such, limited in functionality even with the new versions, sure you can do lots of stuff with it, but things untouched by GRTP still requires you to understand ASM and how the game was coded.

Say I wanted to have something simple but difficult to do in my campaign, such as a button to skip in-game cut-scenes, an auto-saving feature, or the ability to select branching missions like in Wings of Liberty, those things are not really all that possible using GRTP, without reverting to map trigger hack-jobs or ASM of course.

That to be said, it did alleviate some of the more common problems people faced modding, so I guest if that works for some people then it's fine. :P

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka