Difficulty Independent Add Unit Type to Attack Wave

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Difficulty Independent Add Unit Type to Attack Wave

Post by IskatuMesk »

Dunno if this will be useful to anyone. During a brief period of trying to fuse campaign waves into the existing Apex F melee waves I came across the rearsoren that was not being able to use insane for my difficulty in the campaign waves. Of course, 1.5/hots introduced the new difficulties and the vast majority are not actually supported by either attack wave add unit trigger.

It is not obvious how to get around this because no default trigger seems to support difficulty independent unit adding wave dongs. It exists in natives, however, along with instructions on how to pass difficulty independency (-1). We stripped all other difficulties out of the melee code, so changing it on the fly was not desirable nor possible. Ultimately, the experiment was a total failure, and I'm not likely to have a use for this Action.

Here is a simple library that adds a gui wrapper for this. The difficulty is already defaulting to -1, so you can just add units and not worry about it not working on Insane or whatever.

Though I highly recommend using modified melee AI or something from scratch if you're serious about making a B&D campaign.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KnoutOut
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Re: Difficulty Independent Add Unit Type to Attack Wave

Post by KnoutOut »

I never could figure out how to get triggers and stuff to work in the new editor. In Broodwar the editor was much more straightforward and easier to use, and I was able to make some cool stuff there.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

At first I thought it was comparable to wc3 but it's actually significantly less intuitive to do simple tasks in. Probably a byproduct of galaxy itself being so limited. Luckily no project I would make in the game would be very trigger heavy.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

KnoutOut wrote:I never could figure out how to get triggers and stuff to work in the new editor. In Broodwar the editor was much more straightforward and easier to use, and I was able to make some cool stuff there.
Honestly, after spending some time in cinematics, I can say SC2's trigger system is easily understood. You literally have to bother to spend some time on it and look up a few guides to get a basic understanding of the system, THEN it will click.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

IskatuMesk wrote:It exists in natives
aka blizzard couldn't be bothered or they just forgot to create GUI equivalent triggers. BIG SURPRISE
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

It's really funny how much is only in natives. Any form of AI control over transports and dropping another player is also just a native function you can call with pretty much no control.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Anyone thinking the hack-a-thon design scheme changed from BW to Sc2 is in for a rude awakening when they actually try anything with sc2.