New & Upcoming game discussion.

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: New & Upcoming game discussion.

Post by IskatuMesk »

There's no quicker way to raise all the red flags Russia has to spare than to start calling a game "AAA".
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:There's no quicker way to raise all the red flags Russia has to spare than to start calling a game "AAA".
Well, I said that more to imply some game that is *supposed* to be some high-quality game heavily backed up by a big company as opposed to some "every day" game or some indie one.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Ground Zeroes is a paid demo, yall being retards. It's also 20-30 instead of 60 like pretty much every 5-6 hour big budget game now.

Phantom Pain (ie actual MGS5) is out at the end of the year or start of 2015.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

wibod wrote:Ground Zeroes is a paid demo, yall being retards. It's also 20-30 instead of 60 like pretty much every 5-6 hour big budget game now.

This.

Full-length MGS games are notoriously long.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Mucky wrote:
wibod wrote:Ground Zeroes is a paid demo, yall being retards. It's also 20-30 instead of 60 like pretty much every 5-6 hour big budget game now.

This.

Full-length MGS games are notoriously long.
I'd also they rather charge 20-30 for it instead of attaching it to a new IP and charging 60 for it like they did with MGS2.
Aiursrage2k
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by Aiursrage2k »

So i bought watchdogs, and recommend no one else do it. Its like a bad version of gta5 with some bad hacking tacked on, although if you like driving with a block of wood...
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Aiursrage2k wrote:So i bought watchdogs, and recommend no one else do it. Its like a bad version of gta5 with some bad hacking tacked on, although if you like driving with a block of wood...
And for some reason people are buying it when they should be buying Mario Kart 8 instead.

Got Pikmin 3 for free on top of that, too. The free game promotion is just like the free Pokemon X or Y from a couple months ago, but I never did take advantage of it (you can't convince me that Yoshi's New Island was good.)
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

I've got Watch Dogs, I don't think it's so bad. I heard the PC port was awful (no surprise), but I'm playing it on console and haven't experienced a single glitch. Cars are a pain to drive but motorbikes are really easy to handle. Gun combat feels like Uncharted but the stealth is fun. In order to "fully" enjoy this game I guess you have to make some compromises of your own and avoid certain parts of the gameplay, which isn't great design, but beyond that I don't see what the big problem is.

And I still don't understand why everyone keeps calling it a shitty gta clone. They're open world games set in a city, that's about the only similarity.
wibod

Post by wibod »

RazorclawX wrote:
Aiursrage2k wrote:So i bought watchdogs, and recommend no one else do it. Its like a bad version of gta5 with some bad hacking tacked on, although if you like driving with a block of wood...
And for some reason people are buying it when they should be buying Mario Kart 8 instead.

Got Pikmin 3 for free on top of that, too. The free game promotion is just like the free Pokemon X or Y from a couple months ago, but I never did take advantage of it (you can't convince me that Yoshi's New Island was good.)
I think you mean they should be buying Wonderful 101.
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

15 minutes of Dragon Age: Inquisition footage

The graphics are definitely a step up. Combat including dragon fights are also better but the AI seems to have only improved marginally. The interface seems ehh but also seems intuitive.

I don't know about the focus combat mechanic though; could see that being cool and bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdXvFEEBZeo
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Generic hipster junk as always. That dragon would put me to sleep. Doesn't anyone know how to do bosses anymore?
wibod

Post by wibod »

That looks pretty bad, it seems like they completely disregarded all of the negative feedback from DA2 and decided they wanted to make some sort of Souls/Witcher hybrid. The tactical combat in Origins and Awakening was what made those games enjoyable, the DA2 combat was awful and to see them go in that direction again is infuriating because Bioware has proven time and again they can't do responsive controls.

I'm not even going to touch on their marketing or retcons.
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

Yeah, the retcon/future jump seems kind of stupid; DA1 actually set up some decent arcs that they turned their back on wholeheartedly - the Mage vs. Templar thing was one of the least interesting things to me. The combat seems decent but depends on how they flesh out the whole focus thing - it was so-so when Amalur OD'ed on it but that wasn't AI party play.

On the other hand, Freddie Prinze Jr. is voicing a Qunari.
wibod

Post by wibod »

DrumsofWar wrote:Yeah, the retcon/future jump seems kind of stupid; DA1 actually set up some decent arcs that they turned their back on wholeheartedly - the Mage vs. Templar thing was one of the least interesting things to me. The combat seems decent but depends on how they flesh out the whole focus thing - it was so-so when Amalur OD'ed on it but that wasn't AI party play.

On the other hand, Freddie Prinze Jr. is voicing a Qunari.
Mage vs Templar thing had the potential to be interesting, but Bioware fucked it all up with DA2 by going "lol the fade and demons? nah that doesn't happen to mages" and turning the Templars into the SS.

Then in DA3 they're ignoring your saves and bringing back Leliana who had three or so possible deaths just because the tumblr fans demanded it.

And Alistair is now a half dragon/half elf/half human grey warden king regardless of your choices. What the fuck is wrong with this company.

If they're copying the Souls games the combat is almost guaranteed to be awful. Souls games are not exactly known for being responsive and Mass Effect 3 has the best controls in that series and is still incredibly clunky. Amalur had decent combat because it aped fighting games/DMC and had more then 2 combos. Since DA3 has basically been "hey guys aren't you excited to fuck our shitty characters by giving them 3 gifts"so far I really wouldn't expect anything better than the previous games roll 3 mages and everything in the room dies in under 10 seconds as far as gameplay goes.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

I really want to be excited for DA3. I loved Origins, but the demo for DA2 was enough to disappoint me. I was really hoping that DA3 would be going back to its roots, but that doesn't seem to be entirely the case. Ah, well. I should at least be happy that we at least got expanded character creation options back, instead of being locked into just playing human like we were in DA2.

What's the deal with retcons anyway? I haven't been following DA news much since Origins and not playing DA2 yet.