About the upcoming patch 2.1

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

About the upcoming patch 2.1

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/115237 ... -11-8-2013

Well, they sure intend to bring a few special things with said patch 2.1.

Starter Edition Additions (put above compared to the link)

Seems SC2's Starter Edition will basically become 100% free for the Arcade without Spawning. Also all races access for WoL-only I guess. I presume Spawning will still be required for HotS melee.

Clan and Group Event Calendar

Basically can add more "official" events for a clan/group.

In short, we could easily add the FFS event on our group's calendar. Might potentially get a few more players if there are some lurkers that check the events from group to group. Probably be of much more use for more known groups.

Custom Clan Decals

Most interesting for melee players to show your clan's custom decal instead of a generic SC2 one.

Extension Mods

Basically, it seems to be the ability to apply a mod file on any wanted melee map. Pretty much like we always wanted.

This is probably the #1 feature I never expected to see the day in SC2 with any official support whatsoever. Ever. Especially when there are no automated tournaments or anything much more esports-centric that Blizzard would theoretically be more interesting for them to do.

If there are no restrictions regarding triggers, it could be the good time to seriously bother with Warlords and Merchants into a real "Extension Mod" as it was already made like an extension mod in the first place. However, it's easily possible that not being able to use triggers will screw W&M over in that aspect.

Level Cap Increase and New Rewards

Max level 35 per race. Fairly straightforward.

No More AFK Game Hosts

Auto-kicks for AFK Hosts. Just hoping it's not some ridiculously low limit where you cannot AFK longer than 30 seconds. However, it seems to be pretty much like the community's suggestions of like 1 year ago rather than Blizzard trying to impose some odd rule that won't work.

Classic StarCraft Music in StarCraft II

Remastered version of SC1 tracks. Although I would be okay with the original ones as remastery could actually lower the quality or kill the nostalgia factor.

Warcraft III Orc Heroes

The Far Seer, Shadow Hunter, Blademaster, and Tauren Chieftain Orc heroes usable in SC2 maps. The biggest community gain might to actually have some basic hero units to learn from. Thus knowing how to make a proper hero instead of following lots of tutorials just to get a clue.

Other stuff

There also some other stuff related to multiplayer balance, esports and such.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: About the upcoming patch 2.1

Post by IskatuMesk »

While the dependency thing is interesting to hear, ultimately this mechanical change is overshadowed by the fact projects are still severely restricted by battle.net hosting. Anything like AO is still entirely and utterly impossible.

As far as triggers are concerned, I expect this is basically a UI change in that you associated the dependency to the map through battle.net as opposed to making the map dependent on that archive in the editor. I can't see why triggers wouldn't work. Just path replace the defaults if it doesn't.
tf-
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by tf- »

Ext mods look cool.......the problem is that right now, even if there are triggers in a dependency set to run on "Map Initialization", not a single trigger from the dependency is allowed to run by default - unless the triggers of the map itself specifically call at least one trigger function or action from the dependency.
Hopefully they remember to change this, and not after another 12 months or so.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

tf- wrote:Ext mods look cool.......the problem is that right now, even if there are triggers in a dependency set to run on "Map Initialization", not a single trigger from the dependency is allowed to run by default - unless the triggers of the map itself specifically call at least one trigger function or action from the dependency.
Hopefully they remember to change this, and not after another 12 months or so.
Yeah, that's something like that I fear but we will see. I am kind of a "special case" since the likely common logic is data only even with many persons that would make extension mods.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You can't stick a galaxy file in the imported files that replaces the melee triggers and redirects to yours...?
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:You can't stick a galaxy file in the imported files that replaces the melee triggers and redirects to yours...?
I am not sure if Blizzard would just auto-ignore the trigger file for an extension mod or even just mods period.

Anyway, I don't have much time right now to test it plus patch 2.1 is still quite a big while away.
Chriso
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

But will they remix Radio Free Zerg?
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

DrumsofWar wrote:But will they remix Radio Free Zerg?
I think the bigger question is they don't forget to even add it at all in the SC2 files. Personally, I forgot it existed. Considering Blizzard's employees are very different from 10 years ago, it's possible none of them remember about it.

EDIT : I ended up making a post about it on the official Blizzard forums : http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/10497540305
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So the PTR 2.1 is now out ... although it requires a full separate client download of EVERY data file (thus 20-30 GB) in addition of their new desktop app they want to push.

It's confirmed that they allow triggers for Extension mods. In other words, Warlords and Merchants will be feasible to make into an extension mod in some shape or form. Pretty much the way it was supposed to be in the first place.

By making W&M into an extension mod, there are a few things ill have to consider. For example, fetching the map sizes to make merchants gets their levels slower or faster. Currently it would be way too slow for very small maps as the speeds were made for an extra large map.

I guess my bigger problem is team-related stuff. One of the usual problems is if there is a team of 2 v 2 but one of the players goes merchant thus it ends up being a 2v1. Hence why I left teams more as a "hidden" sub-option rather than taking any front.

In addition, FFA in team maps would have the nice side effect of the player's Guardian (with 15 range) attempt to kill their "enemy ally" right next to them. Then again, there is always the issue of ffa on normal team melee maps as you have a very immediate enemy.

Probably will eventually have to HotSify the map as well.

EDIT : Some forumers on the battle.net forums claims it's 13 GB rather. Although after downloading the desktop app, I always had the issue that it couldn't log me in although I could still ultimately log into the SC2. Unfortunately, I can't download the PTR right now.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

desktop app?
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:desktop app?
I guess battle.net app. That united login program for b.net games.

Perhaps I used an old or incorrect term but pretty much that : https://us.battle.net/account/download/ ... ow=bnetapp
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

So, more bloat.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

It would be useful if you could use it to message your friends without loading the whole dang game, or even just see if they're online. No such luck.

Anyway, JademusSreg has a mod that adds Tiberium to the game: [url=starcraft://map/98/421]link[/url]
tf-

Post by tf- »

Xenon wrote:It would be useful if you could use it to message your friends without loading the whole dang game, or even just see if they're online. No such luck.

Anyway, JademusSreg has a mod that adds Tiberium to the game: [url=starcraft://map/98/421]link[/url]
I don't think that link is going to work for me anytime soon, or possibly ever, if it's for the desktop app. I might look into it though, Jademus does solid stuff usually.