New & Upcoming game discussion.

Moderator: Milldawg

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: New & Upcoming game discussion.

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

mark_009_vn wrote:You know... I always wonder what the series is like, I can't stand the traditional gameplay of JRPGs but Tactical JRPGs? They have been... most interesting... If only I have a Playstation or something...
If you want to play Disgaea 1 and 2, Playstations 2 are probably like 100-150$ nowadays and plus the low price for them depending from where you buy it. Some of them are available with more content are available on the Vita.

In addition, when a game has been out long enough, there is often a Let's Play, Longplay or whatever about the game from A to Z on Youtube. Pretty much sure there is one for Disgaea 1, 2, 3 and 4 and Disgaea D2 will be no exception.

Although overall, many prefer the story of Disgaea 1 and 4 rather than the 2nd's and 3rd's.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

If you want to play Disgaea 1 and 2, Playstations 2 are probably like 100-150$ nowadays and plus the low price for them depending from where you buy it. Some of them are available with more content are available on the Vita.
I once had a PS2 before my sis took it... I'm in no position to buy a new one right now... oh well.

In addition, when a game has been out long enough, there is often a Let's Play, Longplay or whatever about the game from A to Z on Youtube. Pretty much sure there is one for Disgaea 1, 2, 3 and 4 and Disgaea D2 will be no exception.

Although overall, many prefer the story of Disgaea 1 and 4 rather than the 2nd's and 3rd's.
I'm pretty sure I wanna play it... Not watch it, since youtube = bad. :P

Don't know, In the event of me managed to get a PS-2 or something... I'm actually thinking of getting Xenosaga first since the portions I watched it on Youtube looks really interesting. However, the gameplay looks kinda like a major screw up and Disgaea sounds like a more light hearted game... I have ventured little in terms of JRPGs, and I'm looking to change that...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Xenosaga's gameplay is fine, really. It changes between versions and some of those changes aren't necessarily too great or meaningful, but it's decent. I played it more for the story but I got hung up at a bunch of really ugly boss fights and haven't continued it since. I considered doing LP's of them but they would be incredibly long productions...
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Xenosaga 2 is the only one with gameplay that is actually "bad", and that's mostly down to the fact that it relies on certain systems that are explained very poorly.

Edit: It was very easy to abuse and trivialize most fights in the game once you got how it worked and what abilities did.
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

Universum: War Front looks pretty interesting. It's another game made by one person (except some freelance modeling) but it actually looks good.

It looks like it'll have a strategy map where you go down into for strategy battles that can devolve into sending yourself in like a MOBA. So basically, Star Wars: Empires with less spaceships and possible less suck.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

DrumsofWar wrote:Universum: War Front looks pretty interesting. It's another game made by one person (except some freelance modeling) but it actually looks good.

It looks like it'll have a strategy map where you go down into for strategy battles that can devolve into sending yourself in like a MOBA. So basically, Star Wars: Empires with less spaceships and possible less suck.
FPS + RTS = broken gameplay.

To be honest, every RTSes that tried to mix in different genres usually have no idea what it wanted to do with itself, it would neither be a good RTS nor a good FPS nor a good MMO nor a good DOTA clone, all of the elements will expectantly come out lack luster in the end.

Besides, this indie game reeks of casualism. All the cheap gimmicks and kewl features are just bells and whistles in the end, they do not make good games.

Also lol the plot. So generic.

/edit.

I've foreseen that haft-blooded Vietnamese Brian Dinh would be the next David Kim in the making.

DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

mark_009_vn wrote:
FPS + RTS = broken gameplay.
FPS + RTS = MOBA

It looks like there's an actual gameplay model so I'm willing to give it a chance. That it's PvP will drive it moreso, plus both Natural Selection, Natural Selection 2, and the Savage series are successful FPS/RTS hybrids.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

FPS + RTS = MOBA
I'm pretty damn sure FPS + RTS does not equates DOTA.... Even though the game itself is basically a DOTA clone with a bunch of gimmicks...

It looks like there's an actual gameplay model so I'm willing to give it a chance. That it's PvP will drive it moreso, plus both Natural Selection, Natural Selection 2, and the Savage series are successful FPS/RTS hybrids.
Haven't played NS, but from my experience with it long ago, it's execution with the RTS mode is more like Global Ops or Empires (the Source mod), which means it requires the cooperation between the commander and the individual FPS players to succeed. This works because it encourage teamplay, now most DOTA clones also revolves around teamplay, but from that Kickstarter page, this game right here looks like it'll just add the FPS element in like some sort of needless gimmick.

All the info for this game is extremely limited in terms of gameplay, except for all the needless advertisements we do not know what the shit are they doing with the game... There are way too little to judge whether or not it'll be something revolutionary and well balanced, or is it just another DOTA clone bristling with fancy bells and whistles to attract casuals.

But simply by the advertisement-heavy tone of the Kickstarter page, I can already suspect it's the later.

DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

Amphora pot sales in Rome: Total War 2

Also, check out Caesar's face being represented by the fan who won the "put your face in the game" contest.
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

Jane Austen MMO

FUCK. YES.
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So it seems Bravery Default might be the old school-like RPG from Square-Enix that many wished. For the Nintendo 3DS.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLNictGeHo[/youtube]

In short :

- A lot of elements based on Final Fantasy I, III (JAP) and V including the job system.
- The main new feature is "Brave" and "Default". Brave essentially allow you to make multiple turns (up to 4) in a single turn but you have wait the same X amount of turns to re-act unless you stored them with "Default" (improved Defend).
- Enemies can also "Brave" and "Default".
- You can use your current main class' abilities + another class' abilities (ex : White Magic + Black Magic) in addition of up to 4 perks unlocked from all of your classes' progress.
- Ability to set the encounter rate anywhere from 0% to 200%. Less time lost on getting into battles and can avoid combat (except bosses) as you deem fit.
- Seems there are also effect customization to apply on your equipment and such.
- The story doesn't seem top-quality but just enough to interest you the whole game.
- A village you rebuild (time-based) with shops and such.
- Streetpass and over the Internet stuff. Essentially can summon a (overpowered?) friend's attack/ability once per 24h.
- Seems you get the airship very soon in this. Allowing you very early exploration of the world map.

Technically, there is some micro transaction for some SP thingy. However, you can essentially just get the SP thingies for 100% free by letting your 3DS in standby mode in-game (preferably plugged as well). You have ZERO need to buy it in the grand scheme of all things.

You will probably want to to be in standby mode anyway. Easier to pass time for your village to build up faster as turning off your 3DS doesn't count for passing time.

EDIT : It's one of those games you REALLY want to buy a physical version instead of a digital version. The digital version takes about 26,000 blocks (basically 3 GB) and your starting 3DS SD card is like 2 GB if you didn't change it.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Bravely Default is like Final Fantasy V and VI got married and had a child.

It's really good (beside that *spoiler* garbage of Chapters 5-7).

And the Microtransaction thing is overblown; nobody is going to buy that unless they're swimming in disposable income.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Aiursrage2k
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by Aiursrage2k »

Metal Gear solid 5 is only going to be 2 hours long and someone was able to speedrun it in 5 minutes.
MGS: Ground Zeroes can be finished in 2 hours, speed run in 5 minutes
http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/metal ... nutes.html
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Aiursrage2k wrote:Metal Gear solid 5 is only going to be 2 hours long and someone was able to speedrun it in 5 minutes.
Oh dear, that's ridiculously short. I wonder why the heck a company would make such game (supposedly some AAA title right?) that is WAY too short to enjoy.

Out of said 2 hours, I even wonder how much is taken for cinematics ... or if it's some movie-into-a-game they somehow tried.

At this rate, if they are out of budget or want to cheap out ... then clearly they don't know how to cheaply stretch a game if only to make it a 5-10 hours to remotely have any excuse to justify the price tag.

EDIT : Seems the price is more like 20-30$ rather than the 60$ I presumed. Although, still short.