Metro: Last Light and the gaming "Media".

Moderator: Milldawg

ArcCain
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Metro: Last Light and the gaming "Media".

Post by ArcCain »

I live in Sweden and Metro Last Light will not be out for me until Friday, I loved Metro 2033 even though it had some problems and Last Light is the only game this year that I am interested in at all. So when game reviewers call it a bad CoD clone and puts in spoilers without warnings I get sort of "mad about" it as Mesk would put it.

Some of you might know/remember that Metro 2033 got criticized for being to hardcore and made casuals weep, IGN said that changing filters, checking the time left on them and keeping track of ammo was to much for ordinary gamers to keep track of.

From what I have seen of Metro Last Light it would seem that the two main problems from the first game, being the stealth and buggy air-filters have been fixed and that most of the graphics have been taken up a notch. Gun play has apparently also been improved along with more enemy´s and new weapons.

All in all I just about have given up on the game "media" giving shit like CoD, Gears of War 3, Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, even Darksiders 2 high scores but any game dev that has not given them free stuff or had their people voice act in their game, (IGN and Mass Effect 3), get their game shat on. And judging from the negative feedback on the reviews I have seen I take it that the gamers that played the game disagree strongly and I take any player feedback over reviews any time.

This is all sad as it mean that there are few safe sources of game info for gamers out there that give a honest and unclouded information, one of the few people I still follow about games is TotalBiscuit, but that´s about it now.

If you have played Metro Last Light or the first game and want to discuss it feel free to do so but please leave spoilers out of your posts.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Metro: Last Light and the gaming "Media".

Post by IskatuMesk »

People took review sites seriously?
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Game "journalists" are fucking awful at their job, despite their job being easier than taking a shit after a night of lavs burritos.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

ArcCain wrote:just about
lol @ you still slightly caring
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

As I said, I still watch TotalBiscuit.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

So?
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Maybe I'll actually find out now that they've fixed shadows artifacting like fuck on the 7000 series in a patch.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

You shouldn't have to buy a game based on faith, but with most devs/publishers using pre-scripted gameplay trailers and game reviewers being incompetent it´s hard to know if a game is good or not, aka Darksiders 2.

I will drop a summary once I finish Metro: Last Light.
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

I watch yahtzee croshaw's reviews, and I would say he influences my buying decisions more than he really has any right to.

I would say that online journalistic reviews are at least as unreliable as facebook/word of mouth, which idolize and praise literally every piece of shit in the world. I took a crap last night and by this morning it had 40 likes on facebook.

(Maybe joking, maybe not)
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

That update is like a night and day performance increase. So far it's still Metro. Regular Hardcore has been really easy and given what I've been leaving areas with, should've just started on ranger hardcore. The melee take-down is hideously overpowered for stealth. Getting close to someone doesn't piss them off like most games and you are pretty much invisible in shadows. Almost every light in the game can be shot out too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28XTcoQMMsc

There's some really annoying checkpoints missing in some areas after cinematics. So each death requires you to go through it again and again like every game out there that has unskippable shit.

Also knocking someone unconscious in knee high water is not the same as killing them.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

It´s Rouge Warrior all over again, they should fix that.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

The first Metro was just like what I expected from a Ukrainian game: based on a novel, post apocalyptic, awesome voice acting (at least in the original Russian version), and have a gameplay and AI so broken it amuses me...
I watch yahtzee croshaw's reviews, and I would say he influences my buying decisions more than he really has any right to.
His reviews seems to be more like ranting than actual reviews... For once he is extremely biased, he'd gobble anything open-world regardless how casual it might be...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

I found it enjoyable. There was what felt like some pretty major flaws trying to go through the game not killing any humans. I ran into a few places that felt plainly impossible on hardcore without breaking the game somehow. Mostly because there was no route around a direct confrontation. You started and ended in active combat. It seems like thats a regular occurrence trying to cater to multiple play styles.

Really didn't see any relation to CoD. If a reviewer actually stated that then they are an idiot plain and simple.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

I finished the game and I liked it, yes stealth was hard at some points but over all it was really what I needed after all the shit I played last year.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

There are only a few, (two or three), times when you have to fight other then that you can stealth the whole game, I would have to check a guide to be 100%.

And apparently Black Ops 2´s story is more mature and has more weight then MLL. I would disagree but I have not played Black Ops 2.